PDA

View Full Version : mismatch calipers?

Iceman
01-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Is it safe to make a adapter to mount a front brake caliper to the fork legs?

I bought an RGV 250 front end for the GS but it doesn't have calipers on it. I was thinking of using the GS caliper with the larger single disc, rather than buying two calipers and two discs.

I know I'm just try'n to save a few bucks, but don't want to compremise my safety or that of those around me.

If I can get away with making a billet stainless steel adapter plate, I will do so.

Any ideas?

Hillsy
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Can't see why this should be a problem - they do it all the time with motard conversions. I think they use alloy ( I assume it's a relatively strong alloy). Go to a decent machining / engineering shop and ask what material would be best to use.

03gixxerpilot
01-10-2006, 11:34 PM
aome of the blades use addaptors as standard

latheboy
02-10-2006, 08:12 AM
use 6000 0r 7000 series aluminium .. light and strong ... it'll polish up good too ..

TurboKat
02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Which side are you missing Ice?
I've got a R/H Tokico 4 spot here of an M model if it's any good to you or we've got L/H jobs at work cheap as well.
Like heads, 2 discs are better than 1.

pt
02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
yeah lots of bike have adapter plates stock. my cb for one.

Iceman
02-10-2006, 05:39 PM
quote:original post by turbokat
Which side are you missing Ice?
I've got a R/H Tokico 4 spot here of an M model if it's any good to you or we've got L/H jobs at work cheap as well.
Like heads, 2 discs are better than 1.
I've got the R/H GS caliper and disc. These aren't compatible with the RGV frontend as the disc is bigger in diameter and the caliper mounts are different.
I know two would be better, but I like the look of the larger single disc and it does have good stopping power. Also I figure if I can use it I might as well.