PDA

View Full Version : Any engineers?

Large
09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/98460502965779.JPG

I've got a 6x4 box trailer, that fits a GSXR etc at an angle.

Problem is the zx12 is now lengthened and wont fit inside, so I'm thinking I might just bolt a big U channel to the floor and let it stick out about 500mm.

Now the question is. If I do this, will I move the center of gravity of the ZX12 back a significant amount? (ie the engine is still in the same spot...just the rear wheel is moved back + the weight of chain etc.)

And will it affect the balance of the trailer/make it tail heavy?

I know I can chop the front wall of the trailer up, but I don't want to fuck the galvanising up and make it a rust bucket.

BANDITROD
09-02-2009, 09:19 PM
i would run it up the pull mate in otherwords chop the front otherwise the fucker will bonce like a bastard ...and yes i have a bit of experience building bike trailers and i have never had a single problem with my trailers bouncing etc etc

Booster
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Make a bracket to hold the front wall at a 45deg angle , 2 bits of 5mx25m will do, gains you nearly 300mm , short bit of channel bolted to your improved front wall locates the wheel .
not much overhang then, maybe even fit at an angle.

Large
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
damn, that's two answers that I didn't want to hear. I really don't want to start chopping it up as it's been properly galvanised and there isn't any rust on it atm and it's over 30 years old.

And it wont fit even at an angle as it's about 600mm longer than a gixxer

What about if I add some ballast to the front...say 20-30 kg of steel?

Large
10-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Would something like this be ok to tow two road bikes around?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Motor-bike-trailer_W0QQitemZ290293748458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Trailers?hash=item290293748458&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

latheboy
10-02-2009, 09:11 AM
If you dont want to chop the front out why dont you just drop the bike on its side and rush it in as far as it'll go and then pull the back around:D

fimpBIKES
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
doesnt lengthening the swingarm transfer MORE weight to the front wheel of the bike?
cos relatively it makes the front wheel even closer to the CoG ;)

Bear
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Large, I've got a 3 channel trailer like the one advertised and it's great. Light enough for me to lift the back around on my own while hitched to the car. Once the bikes are on, it handles great.
I've also lined the gaps between the channels with alloy chequer plate so I could stand on it and also use the trailer to cart furntinure etc.

Another option for your box trailer is to run the channel up over the front wall so that the front wheel of the bike is above the front wall.
Obviously it means that the bike is travelling with the front wheel up but if it's not running, no problem. A bit hard to load yourself also, by pushing the bike uphill. At least there's no cutting involved.

DiscoDan
10-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Your original assumption is correct in that it won't significantly change the CoG of the trailer by extending the point of contact back (apart from the weight of the wheel itself moving back a bit). fimpBIKES is correct in that the front wheel will have a greater percentage of the weight on it but the reduced weight on the back wheel will be acting further from the CoG and will have a greater effect (bigger lever) and thus the CoG will stay about the same.

I'd say go the channel path, it's a lot easier to reverse as well :)

Cruisecontrol
10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Just shove it into the back of the Commode.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1197994548432.jpg

davio
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
well before u do any alterations try it as is and then disconnect it from the car ( a big fat mate would be handy in case its arse heavy, have him sit on the drawbar), remember its better if theyre a smidge arse heavy anyway ,, they tow better

ozkat
10-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Stop being a womans dick, modify it properly ya big poof. Take the front out of the tailer and put a V nose on it stopping about a foot from the coupling. Job done and done properly. So what if its 30 years old, your over 30 and need a few mods too. Im sure the trailer can take it. Actually instead of being a fuckin tightarse buy a new proper bike trailer and give the one here back to your poor old dad, you proberly nicked it off him anyway, poor old pensioner. I can just see the poor old bloke loading his grass clippings into the back of his Grange. Use what little brain matter that still works inside your drug crazed head, better still go down to Bunnings and buy a skyhook and suspend it off that, you wont need to extend anything then except the few brain cells you have left. Fuckin hell what next!

Bear
10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Get the plans off Sharky and streetfighter a caravan.

Large
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Ok thanks for the replies guys.

I bid on that bike trailer but didn't get it...then I sobered up and realised that I was measuring oa lengths and only needed to measure past the rear wheel centre a bit.

So I only need about a 250mm extension which will fit on the lowered tailgate which I'm going to remodel anyway.

So I don't need to chop anything up atm.

Oh and Shayneeeee- it takes one to know one/it cost me 6 bottles of plonk/and it was a Caprice.

JackTar
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

and also use the trailer to cart furntinure

And trampolines.

Large
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
tramampolines*