PDA

View Full Version : drilling top triple clamp / yoke

skiddz
08-02-2009, 11:57 PM
hi guys

i have searched but the search tool seems to be fubar'ed

seeking some advice on whether or not to drill my top triple for a clip on -> pro taper conversion the bike is a cbr250r i have looked at the underside and there doesnt seem to be any webbing except the exterior. would drilling 2 holes in the triple significantly reduce the strength?

also i have seen some universal style risers that only have 1 bolt through the base somewhere, i have seen the ausfr ones anyone have a link to the single bolt kind or have a link to any others?

cheers
luke

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I think TIMBO did a thing where he made some infil bits to act as a "mega" washer to spread the load. His is a ZXR and had internal webbing on the triple. The line seems to be go for it and spread the load with a plate or washer. Most pressure seems to be on the bottom triple. Good luck and keep up the pace mate.

latheboy
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Just drill it and put big washers under it... it'll save you alot of money and it is more than strong enough

skiddz
09-02-2009, 12:33 PM
excellent! has anyone seen any other bar risers other than the ones on ausfr cos i remember seeing one with a single bolt to attach to top triple, anyone know what im on about?

latheboy
09-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Go to your local dirt bike joint they should have something...

boadazofa
09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I would recommend buying the ausfr triple plate over drilling the existing one. This is because i have worked with cast alluminium before and it can crack or break very easily. Not saying it is going to break but i would rather pay the extra dollars for the security of knowing my bars are not going to come of in my hands mid corner!
in answer to your question though i am pretty sure that most fatbar risers only have the single bolt to attach them. i could be wrong though!

peter

latheboy
09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
What Al. work have you done before Peter?

BANDITROD
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
i have never seen one break yet even the stunt guys do it that way and there triples seem to hold up

davio
09-02-2009, 05:40 PM
washers with a bit of liquid metal underneath to ensure full spread,, and what bandit said,, u ever hear of a broken top triple?

yoda
09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
My stunt bike has a drilled tripple, no probs at all!
As everyone has said, put a washer or plate under it to spread the load

Just head to your closest dirtbike shop for risers, diff heights etc.

boadazofa
09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

What Al. work have you done before Peter?

I have done lots of aluminium work before such as facing off 24"x20" cast ally hotplates on lathes with a 1m chucks and lots of other stuff aswell! I have seen aluminium cast break before, NOT on a motorbike but i have seen it break.
By all means if that is the way he wants to do it go for it! I almost did it that way myself, but then i thought do it once, do it properly!
didn't realise i was treading on peoples toes by offering my opinion.

peter

latheboy
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Your not peter i just wanted to know if you where in the biz.... Everyone is aloud an opinion:D

BANDITROD
09-02-2009, 06:26 PM
dont stress mate we were just voicing our personal experiences with top clamps thats all

boadazofa
09-02-2009, 07:00 PM
all good!

Skiddz are you just changing bars or doing the full streetfighter thing? If so would love to see some pics of your bike when you are done as i have a friend with the same bike and I would like to show him to try and convert him!

peter

Nudie
09-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I drilled mine and fitted Renthal (single bolt) risers and Pro Taper FMX 'bars. No probs in over 2 years of, ahem, spirited use.;)

skiddz
09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by boadazofa

all good!

Skiddz are you just changing bars or doing the full streetfighter thing? If so would love to see some pics of your bike when you are done as i have a friend with the same bike and I would like to show him to try and convert him!

peter

whole fighter thing
see here

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14126&whichpage=1

thanks again guys, will go looking

ozzy1100
10-02-2009, 08:39 PM
heres a ? for you boys how would drilling the triplle and fitting hellecoils by and leaveing under alone
or i could do both i quess lol... i wasnt goinf 2 use a nut i just was going 2 tap the treads and coil
it norm turns out the treads are as strong as steel ... just thinking

BANDITROD
10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
yeah i dont know about that one ozzy ...the helicoil would hold but i reckon it would strip out the ally thats its sitting in ..if that makes any sense

NakedTurboBusa
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Company's build big safety factors into their components....... drill it, ride it, like 250000 streetfighterers' have done, are doing, around the world

cheers

Pete

latheboy
11-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I dont think that would be a good idea ozzy, the thickness of the top clamp wouldn't be enought for the helicoil to get a full thread, unless you clamp is 10mm or thicker but even then id want a ni-lock and big washer just in case

Guile
11-02-2009, 11:29 AM
hi skiddz,

don't if this is any good to you but i'm selling my renthals and bar clamps shown on my gpx project thread as i've now bought flat bars with new clamps.

$50 plus p&p?

let me know what you think

skiddz
11-02-2009, 10:41 PM
yeah dude that would be tops, i sent an email through the forum

ozzy1100
13-02-2009, 09:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

I dont think that would be a good idea ozzy, the thickness of the top clamp wouldn't be enought for the helicoil to get a full thread, unless you clamp is 10mm or thicker but even then id want a ni-lock and big washer just in case

didnt even think of thinkness went down stairs and had a look never egoing 2 be enough meat lol mybe i should have looked at it before opening hole lol....
btw rod u would be surprized what hells hold when done right .. but after looking for self id say im with u guys nut and big washer 2 sperd load is the way 2 go and dont forget loctight or ni-nut like said above.....
on anougher note i have jsut cut my first thread in over 10 yrs 1" bspt with 11 tpi fuck had 2 rmind myself of want 2 do and how not 2 lose a finger.. allso not 2 just act like the dumb plumber that i am lol

camlark
15-02-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/88489196725495.jpg

i found if you drill where the clip ons mount you get full length of thread in one hole and found that the triple isnt as thin as you think fo r the other hole, i just tapped em out 8x1.25 as what came with the clamps. looks plenty strong enough to me!

Gix11
16-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Just be careful you don't spread the hole to wide as the clamps will end up where the bars curve up to switch gear. This is not a problem with drag bars but with renthals and some fat bars it needs to be kept in mind. (I've seen guys make this mistake before and although it's pretty obvious they put too much attention into the drilling of the clamp to even think about the bars). If you are smart you'll realise that you need to mount the bars in the clamps before you mark for drilling to give you your spacing.

sickboy
16-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I know skidzz already drilled his clamps ,here's how I did mine,I dremmeled the under side first then cut out some 12mm alloy then "glued" em with Devcon and clammped the fuckers good and tight for a few days then spent a while marking out were I wanted the holes,ideally they should be drilled half way between the fork and headstem hole.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/2011657196961.jpg

sickboy
16-02-2009, 08:39 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/20116571106094.jpg

sickboy
16-02-2009, 08:41 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/2011657176868.jpg

old gsxrr
16-02-2009, 09:37 AM
THAT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD RESULT -I'VE BEEN LOOKIN AT MY TOP CLAMP FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS THANKS FOR THE PICS