PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki GT550 G9 clutch noises

alfiestorm
30-09-2006, 04:32 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/71534810922104.jpg

Dont know how popular these bikes are/were in Auss but i have bought one to use through our winter here in the uk but it has the usual rumbling and clunking noises from the clutch at tick over I would like to fix it so it is nice and quite on tickover so before i have a look at it has anyone here done this if so what did you do and use to fix it.
I know most people would just leave it to rattle and rumble on as the noise disapears as soon as the revs rise but i want to fix it co's i dont like the noise especially when stuck in traffic on this ever so slightly over crowded island.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
:):)

evad
30-09-2006, 07:42 PM
check if the carbs are balanced, is probably the easiest...

devo
30-09-2006, 08:33 PM
As evad says balance the carbs and idle to at-least 1200 rpm.
if that fails it may be either the basket or another common problem
with Wakasakis is the chain that runs from the starter clutch to the crank if this is the case "fuck it" just persevere with it. Replacing it is a big job and even if you did replace it, it will more than likely do the same thing again within about 10,000 klms anyway. Goodluck, I hope this enlightens you a little bit.;)
But it does sound like the starter chain to me, how many K's has
it done by the way.[?]
I think Papa Smurf would back me up on this one.

papa smurf
30-09-2006, 08:46 PM
All very good advice Devo, you're pretty much spot on.
Hey Alfie, does the noise go away if you pull the clutch lever in?
If so it could be the clutch basket in which case put up with that too.

alfiestorm
02-10-2006, 05:59 AM
The bike has done 55,500 miles but i have fitted an engine that has only covered 20,000 as the original was very low on compression on number 2 cylinder.
I think i will balance the carbs and raise the tick over as suggested thanks guys