PDA

View Full Version : Guns n Ammo advice

336LJ
04-02-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm sure theres an old post here somewhere about you guys that are shooters and wachagot and how bigga hole it leaves etc.
I cant be fucked dragging it up. I'v been hittin the range a fair bit lately, and am about to kick start the process of getting my licence.

I probably sound like a n00b - (tard) but I'm trying to suss out what I should get my hands on first.
I did the F88 Steyr course years ago in cadets (3 full days of drill, 1 day at the range) shot pistols, .22's (ghey) .223's and .308's over the years.
I'll probably spend a bit of time out on the range shooting paper... but am mostly looking at sittin my redneck ass down out on the property on weekends and laying waste to whatever I can point it at with the lads. (safely of course)

Had my eye on a Tikka T3, or the steyr scout, after doing heaps of research and checking out reviews the last few weeks, but not sure wether to go .223 or .308.
I dunno if I'll get into hunting n all just yet, or if I'll have the time so I'm not real sure what brands and calibres I should be lookin at for where, and what I'll be shooting.

I spent a few hours out at the range with the .308 and fuck me I was sore, it started to get really tiring, and the fucking ammo is $1 a round!
I found for a bloke with girl arms like I have at the moment, the .223 was a good allrounder.
I didn't have to aim a foot above the target at 100m like with the .22, but didnt end up all tender like I did with the .308.

I think "bench/rest/mounted/bipod whatever it is" shooting, is boring as fuck so I was doing my best to shoot holding it up unsupported and as far away as I could. I'm keen to sharpen up my accuracy at long range.
Clay targets can get fucked, I must have a touch of downs or something.

I want to reload my own ammo too, and have been sussing out a decent single stage press, too much fucking around setting up a turret style one, and I like the idea of acheiving more precise results with the single stage press. plus I'm way to unco to operate complex contraptions.
Someone told me theres a seperate licence you have to get to reload ammo? I don't beleive it tho, but I'm sure you can't buy the powder and primers without a normal gun licence.

Any recommendations, especially on where to buy a decent rifle. I reckon brand new they aren't really that expensive, but as with bike, cars and anything else, dealers = reamers. at the range, federal .308 rounds were $20 x 40, and these dickheads in the shops wanted $50 x 40!!!
What scopes, brands of gear, safes, all that stuff, and any things to look out for? I'v tried to get some info out of some of the shops but they all treat a newbie like a piece of shit.

http://www.berettaaustralia.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=741

http://www.hermannsguns.com/Rifles/SteyrMannlicher/SteyrScout.html

Oh yeah no one told me the cops training range was right next to the public one, just about fucking had a heart attack rocking up in my death trap ute with about 10 patrol cars and 5 bikes scattered throughout the carpark!! slammed on the brakes with a "holy shit" look on my face, then did the whole whistle and act normal trick - parked as FAR away as I could.
[:0]

Docktor
04-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Cant remember wher i used to get killey stuff in Brisbane mate, but sydneys best shop would be horsley park gun shop. They do mail order too.

http://www.hpgs.biz/

loosebruce
04-02-2009, 05:29 AM
It might be worth trying a .243 or .270, both based on .308 brass.

CBRRRT
04-02-2009, 06:12 AM
This could get interesting!

latheboy
04-02-2009, 06:25 AM
I've got a 45/70 Marlin as my everyday walk about rifle and would happily shoot it all day long... feels like a .22 in weight and kick.. and it will drop bigger game...

Fish
04-02-2009, 07:07 AM
How about a .22-250? Try QGE 181-183 Wellington Rd East Brisbane, QLD 4169 (07) 3393 0933. Which range are you shooting at?

Neo Dutch
04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by loosebruce

It might be worth trying a .243 or .270, both based on .308 brass.

Not so. 243 is a necked down 308 and a great all round calibre. 270 is a necked down 30/06 and is also a great all round calibre.

Tikka rifles are great value for money. The Steyr Scout will be very exxy and are a bit too gimmicky IMO.

No licences are needed to reload, but you are required to show ID when buying powder. A turret press like a Super Simplex will do you fine.

If you're in Brissy, get along to Cannon Hill RSL Rifle Club at Belmont and have a chat with those guys. Very friendly bunch, and you'll more than likely get to have a shot.

BOHEMION
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Hey mate,

Gun safes are all pretty similar, aim for something with a 5-6 point locking mechanism and something that proctects against crow bar attack.

If your more content with a .223 and if its something your gonna bash around land with and have some target days have a look at the Weatherby sub MOA. Its a practical round, someone with talent can really utilise.

Cleaver firearms are cheaper, but dont expect service, QLD Gun Exchange is where to get questions answered.

OZ750L
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Bris dealers:

Cleaver Firearms - Margate
Pine Rivers Locksmiths - Lawnton
Rebel Gun Works - Woolloongabba
QGA - Woolloongabba
Gold Coast Shooters Supplies

Just off the top of my head.

Definately go have a squiz at the range and have a chat. most ppl only too glad to help out.

100% correct about purchasing reloading components.... need to show your licence but don't think you need to show your licence to buy the reloding equipment. Go figure.

Use Dillon myself and very happy with it. Can load both .223 and .308 on it as well.

Weatherby is definately worth a look as are Remington, Ruger, CZ, Howa. Depends how much you want to spend. Top end is Sako, Tikka, Steyer and the like. Then add a scope and rings, rifle bag, safe (good advise Bohemion), ammo, brass, press, dies, etc, etc. Not a cheap hobby these days, especially if you wanna go all new. Takes more time but can get some good s/h deals to as a lot of blokes are getting tired of all the bullshit to keep a licence.

A good rifle & setup can cost as much as a decent sorta bike.

336LJ
04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bitchfish

How about a .22-250? Try QGE 181-183 Wellington Rd East Brisbane, QLD 4169 (07) 3393 0933. Which range are you shooting at?

Cool I should have remembered the name considering its plastered all over the place at Belmont rifle club, I was heading out every week during the holidays cause it was open at 8am.

Thanks for the address I'll head up that way as soon as I can.

336LJ
04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

I've got a 45/70 Marlin as my everyday walk about rifle and would happily shoot it all day long... feels like a .22 in weight and kick.. and it will drop bigger game...

You know at first I thought you were talking fishing rods lol.
Thats what I liked about the .223 noisy as a fuck - but felt like a .22 with someone lightly tapping the end of the barrel with a rubber mallet every time you shot.
.308 was fun giving my mates a shot at it for the first time haha, they had no idea what was coming.
My brother got clocked by the scope twice.

336LJ
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by OZ750L

Bris dealers:
Definately go have a squiz at the range and have a chat. most ppl only too glad to help out.

Thats where I started to ask questions, most of the older guys were keen to help out, and we even had one bloke spend a good half hour with us explaining clay target shooting, some nice people out there.

One of the older range officers seemed like a grumpy old cunt, but when I was doubting my grouping of about 20rnds at 200m without a bipod he layed the target down, got us all to gather round (here I am preparing for a knowledgable lecture) flips it over, and goes "see that, if that was a deer, It would be FUCKIN DEAD" holds it up to his chest "if that was me, ID BE FUCKIN DEAD" LOL

336LJ
04-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Also what goes on with "keeping a licence" I thought it was like club rego for a car, where you had to do a certain amount of club events per year? or is it just the fact that it costs money, and membership for a club is expensive as?

BOHEMION
04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
You need a reason to own a licence and a firearm - This is why it is important to join a club or Formal letter to shoot on land. I dont think longarm shooters need a minimum club shoot anymore, but Pistol shooters do.

Remember you also need a Permit to Acquire EVERY time you buy a new firearm. So dont get mixed up with dodgy cunts who want to sell you a busted up old .303 for a carton of piss, keep it legit. Also in QLD a Firearms licence is legal property of the QLD Police. They can also come around to your house to check your firearms and safe/s. The gun shops will tell you all of this.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/about/tenImptKnowQldGunLaws.htm

Neo Dutch
04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
SSAA membership is a sufficient reason.

Neo Dutch
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ.308 was fun giving my mates a shot at it for the first time haha, they had no idea what was coming.

Soft cocks. My 460 has over 110 ft pds of recoil energy

BANDITROD
04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
what they said mate but as far as calibre it deends on what you want to shoot ie what sort of game...anyway i myself have a ruger 220 swift i reload my own ammo and i use a .223 52gr sierra matchking projectile and i use this rifle for deer,roos,foxes and hares at long distance and find it to be perfect for the job i also have a .308 which i believe is more for pig shooting and big deer but it does get fired at a rabbit occasionaly to check scope for accuracy of course

btw to reload my .308 it costs me about 63 cents per round but it does vary a little depending on what i use i have ballistic tip and good old soft tip projectiles for it the ballistic tips cost me a shitload more than the soft tip but ballistics are more about accuracy and what type of kill you want i.e. i use them more for deer cos i like my shots to be spot on when it comes to dropping s deer so they dont try and run off cos as soon as they run the meat tastes like shit cos they get there adrenalin pumping

anyway thats just my 2 cents worth

bluemk1
04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
what you need is this little beauty :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

336LJ
04-02-2009, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neo Dutch

Yeah I know that in regards to obtaining a licence, but is there some sort of yearly, 5 yearly check or something they do to see if you actually attend SSAA events? Like if your membership expires at a club, are you now in posession of a weapon without a valid reason? Not sure what goes on in that regard, I'll be out at the range every chance I get. but might not be able to for months on end depending on work, and stuff going on elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by 336LJ.308 was fun giving my mates a shot at it for the first time haha, they had no idea what was coming.

Soft cocks. My 460 has over 110 ft pds of recoil energy

unfortunately they don't hire anything bigger than a .308 out at the range as far as I know.

And none of my mates have ever fired a weapon [:p]

BOHEMION
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
So Neo, you were one of the lucky ones who got in on the 1st lot of 460's?

LOL forget it. $48 a shot No thanks!

BOHEMION
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

Yeah I know that in regards to obtaining a licence, but is there some sort of yearly, 5 yearly check or something they do to see if you actually attend SSAA events? Like if your membership expires at a club, are you now in posession of a weapon without a valid reason? Not sure what goes on in that regard, I'll be out at the range every chance I get. but might not be able to for months on end depending on work, and stuff going on elsewhere.

When you do your safety course, they will go over this with you. And yes its your responsibility not to let membership laps. If it does then there goes ur reason to have that firearm.

336LJ
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

You need a reason to own a licence and a firearm - This is why it is important to join a club or Formal letter to shoot on land. I dont think longarm shooters need a minimum club shoot anymore, but Pistol shooters do.

Remember you also need a Permit to Acquire EVERY time you buy a new firearm. So dont get mixed up with dodgy cunts who want to sell you a busted up old .303 for a carton of piss, keep it legit. Also in QLD a Firearms licence is legal property of the QLD Police. They can also come around to your house to check your firearms and safe/s. The gun shops will tell you all of this.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/about/tenImptKnowQldGunLaws.htm

Yeah I won't be doin the dodge on fire arms, I want it all legit so I don't have to be bubbas bitch in prison.

I'll have to wait to see where we end up in regards to a house, and the land we are on. no point bolting a safe to the floor in this house it would fall straight through!

are there any obvious signs of wear and tear even a dealer will try and "overlook" when selling a weapon to a schmuck like me?

latheboy
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM

SSAA are a bunch of weak CUNTS, if i was running the show id disband the fucking thing and hang the top brass....

edit: Not wanting to start a blue here, i just got fired up sorry

Fish
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Why Ivan?

Harry
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
why such a big canon ?...a good eye with a 222 will pull bout anything down that shits in the bush...pigs included,seen it done shot after shot with a sako .222 with a 6 by 59 pecar vairable scope on it, and if you havent shot a .17 befor? no not an air rifle! find out about em...very nice rifle with a volicty of about 4000 ft p/sec great for things that hop,good 12power scope and a steady hand it will head shoot 200 mtrs plus no prob's :)

BOHEMION
04-02-2009, 11:32 PM
.204 ruger is a much more interesting round. .223 and .308 are becoming uber standard rounds for reloading equipment and cheaper (Wolf) ammo prices.

latheboy
05-02-2009, 06:23 AM
The amount of trouble the clubs im in had to go through to get membership is out of control, they say they are for the shooters but then make it fucking hard for the clubs. the 3 clubs im in have better facilities than most, every club in Australia that shoots Black Powder has had trouble with the ssaa. They just dont like us and it all comes down to 1 person, i wont name the prick.
Then when the gov. gets all fired up about gun control the ssaa say "no we wont give in to them" and everybody cheers.. Then they go meet with the gov. and come back saying we have to hand in more than it started out to be ... Spineless pricks.
Have you every been to the AGM? what a bunch of children....
This my 2 cents and if your happy with what they do for you thats good, but they do fuck all for the clubs im in.

Weaselman
05-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I dont see the point in owning a firearm considering you need to be able to just about prove your ability you walk on water to keep one.

And the police are still very anti firearm even thought your allowed to own them.
Any more severe incidents with wackos and the government will just legislate gun owners out of existance anyway.

Fish
05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Cause it's fun.

Fish
05-02-2009, 06:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

I dont see the point in owning a bike considering you need to be able to just about prove your ability you walk on water to keep one.

And the police are still very anti bike even thought your allowed to own them.
Any more severe incidents with wackos and the government will just legislate bike owners out of existance anyway.

Sound familiar??

Cruisecontrol
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM

I dont see the point in owning a penis considering you need to be able to just about prove your ability you walk on water to keep one.

And the police are still very anti penis even thought your allowed to own them.
Any more severe incidents with wackos and the government will just legislate penis owners out of existance anyway.

Sound familiar??

Absolutely! :D

Edit:

Put your post back Large, you poof...

Weaselman
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Stop quoting me cus it freaks me out when i say things that dont look like what i said... yeah...

latheboy
05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
My gun reg. gets fucked every time, and my dads is out of control, he has a rifle that is the only of its type in australia ( they had to make a new catagory for it ) and they fuck it up every time ...
The day will come when its the same for bike owners!!!

BOHEMION
05-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Plenty of politcs in it boys lets give old mate a brake and give him some advice as originally asked

Large
06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

I dont see the point in owning a penis considering you need to be able to just about prove your ability you walk on water to keep one.

And the police are still very anti penis even thought your allowed to own them.
Any more severe incidents with wackos and the government will just legislate penis owners out of existance anyway.

Sound familiar??

Absolutely! :D

Edit:

Put your post back Large, you poof...

Timing was out Dan. And it's all about timing.

Fish
06-02-2009, 08:12 AM
For future reference the "I want to whinge about guns" topic is here: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13840 :D. Now as Bo said, have you got any advice for old mate? Here's a couple of links for you
http://www.nioa.net.au/default.aspx
http://www.foxsafe.com.au/
http://www.buffaloriversafes.com/

latheboy
06-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Yer sorry that was my fault....

If you want to have fun have a look at muzzle loaders...
I'm not really into the small cal. high vol. stuff i like big heavy bullets that wack hard, but the speed the little bullets are travelling at now days is fawking awesome...
they kick arse on my .58cal ... 990 Feet per second:D

Got to the range and talk to as many people as you can, most of them will offer you a shot, and go with one of them to the local gun shop and shoulder as many different rifles as you can. What feels good for me will be different for you.
And if you want to go hunting DONT get the shiniest rifle you can, reflection is a bitch.

Fish
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Mate i would absolutely LOVE to have a crack at a muzzle loader, I think that will be on the agenda after i finish jumping through hoops.

NakedTurboBusa
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
mmmmmmmmm ...Im not really good at many things, my riding is average, however, I have instructed (13 years) a lot of current serving SF snipers etc. It is something Im really good at....... if you want advice without all the wank----- send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction....

cheers

Pete

ps

Ranges are full of gene-lacking, socially in-ept groups of strange fuckers who are too blinkered in their ways to give an intelligent enthusiast, prompt to the point, all round advice.

BOHEMION
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Pete's the best bloke to speak to mate!

This is why you join a club to get ur licence sorted then do your own thing.

MONO
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
quote:...
Ranges are full of gene-lacking, socially in-ept groups of strange fuckers who are too blinkered in their ways to give an intelligent enthusiast, prompt to the point, all round advice.

and don't forget the ro's

latheboy
07-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I've dropped a roo at 4500 M .... i loved my .50 cal browning, very upset i had to hand it in.... $15 a round too

latheboy
07-02-2009, 01:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by NakedTurboBusa

ps

Same as bike forums when your the new guy on the block but its a start untill you get enought understanding to make your own way...
Going to the right range to talk to the right people is almost unpossible but the more people you talk to the better off you'll be .... having said that PM NakedTurboBusa and find out from a teacher of the art because ill just tell you to get a muzzle loader and once your into it people would think you'd have been better off taking up crack:D;)... My favorate rifle is 200 years old and has a crazy history ...[8]

336LJ
07-02-2009, 05:06 AM

For future reference the "I want to whinge about guns" topic is here: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13840 :D. Now as Bo said, have you got any advice for old mate? Here's a couple of links for you
http://www.nioa.net.au/default.aspx
http://www.foxsafe.com.au/
http://www.buffaloriversafes.com/

Cool man thanks for the links [8D]

Got to the range and talk to as many people as you can, most of them will offer you a shot, and go with one of them to the local gun shop and shoulder as many different rifles as you can. What feels good for me will be different for you.
And if you want to go hunting DONT get the shiniest rifle you can, reflection is a bitch.

The best advice I'm getting so far is from you lot, and one or two decent chaps out on the range.
I wouldn't have thought to "molest" the weapons so to speak and see what feels right, thanks for the tip!
I'm not one for bling either. Nearly every time something involves being painted, or a colour is to be chosen. First thing that comes to mind is matt black! Guy who had my ute before me bought about 20 cans of the shit from bunnings and went to town on it.

mmmmmmmmm ...Im not really good at many things, my riding is average, however, I have instructed (13 years) a lot of current serving SF snipers etc. It is something Im really good at....... if you want advice without all the wank----- send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction....

cheers

Pete

ps

PM on its way, thanks for that [8D]I'm lacking severely in the technique side of shooting accurately, I'm only going on advice I got from the trainers on the weapons courses I did in cadets.

As I replied above, theres one or two allright people out on the range, but MAAaaaaaaaan theres some imbred fuckers walkin around with guns. I can pick them a mile away though, I just try to stay clear of them and ignore them when they are doing the whole "n00b, I know everything" shit, but just make bigger idiots of themselves.
I don't know how half of them manage to operate a vehicle to GET to the range, let alone feed and dress themselves!
At least there was a mean set of tits out there today worth looking at.[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

Pete's the best bloke to speak to mate!

This is why you join a club to get ur licence sorted then do your own thing.

Thats exactly what I am thinking of doing. Probably go out to the range for a lazy day of shooting if I want to take mates n stuff without having to make a full day of going somewhere closer to home to shoot.
its almost a 2hr drive south to where we have arranged to go shooting on my mates property!
Otherwise it would be .22's at the folks joint, (so its quiet..er) but after today, and how insanely F'ing ghey .22's are. I refuse to even waste my money on one for my first weapon.

I've dropped a roo at 4500 M .... i loved my .50 cal browning, very upset i had to hand it in.... $15 a round too

You can't have .50 cals? - That would be like telling me to hand in my car or bike, aint fuckin gettin it out of my kung fu grip.
:(

ps

Same as bike forums when your the new guy on the block but its a start untill you get enought understanding to make your own way...
Going to the right range to talk to the right people is almost unpossible but the more people you talk to the better off you'll be .... having said that PM NakedTurboBusa and find out from a teacher of the art because ill just tell you to get a muzzle loader and once your into it people would think you'd have been better off taking up crack:D;)... My favorate rifle is 200 years old and has a crazy history ...[8]

Yeah mate - I came into the bike scene (and forums) knowing full well I had to ask stupid questions and cop a bit of shit to know what I know now, its the same with cars, only it used to fuck me off when smart ass know it alls got their jolly's making fun of you instead of just answering a damn question.
Fuckers get like that with me I just don't bother askin any more questions.

Muzzle loaders look like the type of thing you'd need patience for? I reckon those old OLD rifles are awesome, would love to have a crack at one.

TurboKat
07-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Whenever I want to refer to poofters from now on, I'm gunna call them 'Muzzle Loaders' ;)

That's gunna piss Ivan off sooooo bad... [}:)] :D

OZ750L
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Just renewed my QLD A&B class licence. Gotta be a member of SSAA but don't have to attend any shoots or join a club. Valid reason - Recreational hunting. You do need a letter from the owner of a property of over 40acres in size giving permission to shoot there for recreation and also get them to write in feral animal control. Otherwise, go over to Cleavers and cough up $110 for a hunting authority on their property Lesmoir. Don't expect to ever get to shoot out there cause there is something like a 4 year wait and it is entirely at their discretion if they let you onto the property. Just easier not to bother.

Figure buying a rifle like buying a bike. Look for wear and tear in the chamber, bore, muzzle crown, marks on the finish of the metalwork and stock, bowed stocks that are touching only one side of the barrel, and so on. Most you can try running a folded abnk note under the barrel between it and the stock to check if the barrel is free floated if they tell you it is although some newer ones use a pressure pad at the end of the stock to tune the barrel but are free floated behind that back to the receiver.

You don't wanna buy the first you see and remember to ask to see the new ones first. Start at the most expensive and work down. You'll soon figure what's what. Then go onto the s/h ones. problems should stand out a mile. If they don't want to show you a particular feature on a rifle, avoid that rifle.

Normally, it's a good idea to be licenced before going in to shop for a gun. Smoothes the process.

Cruisecontrol
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Mate, whatever you choose you have to complement it with one of these bad boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV50T5uEyw

336LJ
08-02-2009, 02:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by OZ750L

Just renewed my QLD A&B class licence. Gotta be a member of SSAA but don't have to attend any shoots or join a club. Valid reason - Recreational hunting. You do need a letter from the owner of a property of over 40acres in size giving permission to shoot there for recreation and also get them to write in feral animal control. Otherwise, go over to Cleavers and cough up $110 for a hunting authority on their property Lesmoir. Don't expect to ever get to shoot out there cause there is something like a 4 year wait and it is entirely at their discretion if they let you onto the property. Just easier not to bother.

Figure buying a rifle like buying a bike. Look for wear and tear in the chamber, bore, muzzle crown, marks on the finish of the metalwork and stock, bowed stocks that are touching only one side of the barrel, and so on. Most you can try running a folded abnk note under the barrel between it and the stock to check if the barrel is free floated if they tell you it is although some newer ones use a pressure pad at the end of the stock to tune the barrel but are free floated behind that back to the receiver.

You don't wanna buy the first you see and remember to ask to see the new ones first. Start at the most expensive and work down. You'll soon figure what's what. Then go onto the s/h ones. problems should stand out a mile. If they don't want to show you a particular feature on a rifle, avoid that rifle.

Normally, it's a good idea to be licenced before going in to shop for a gun. Smoothes the process.

Awesome tips mate, thanks for that, I'm still tryin to get my head around all the lingo so I don't just look like another derro paint sniffer wandering into the gun shop for a look.
I think up untill I get my licence I'll have a real good look around, which will give me plenty of time to sus out what suits me.

I paid for club membership already, cause I wasn't too sure if where you shoot (regarding written permission on someone elses land) was subject to rules about the proximity of neighbouring properties/zoning, etc. Its all kind of semi rural out here, but further down in the border ranges is where we would be shooting anyway.
And well at least for the next year or so the range fee's and gun hire is cheaper :P

336LJ
08-02-2009, 02:26 AM

LOL!, holy dead grandchild who wandered in after having a bad dream batman.
Sounds about right for how paraniod I am about someone wandering in under our bedroom (garage is under there, its happened before)A few times I'v almost done a micky flip out of bed and out the window in my jocks with half a pool cue, after hearing some prick down stairs.

But that little device I'm guessing would definately up the dead burglar stats!
Am I right in assuming this product is encouraging a loaded weapon to be stuffed under there?
I'd fuckin shoot myself in the shins getting into bed!

Neo Dutch
08-02-2009, 07:12 AM

I have instructed (13 years) a lot of current serving SF snipers etc.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. PM's OK if a public forum is unsuitable.

BANDITROD
08-02-2009, 11:33 AM

I have instructed (13 years) a lot of current serving SF snipers etc.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. PM's OK if a public forum is unsuitable.

BANDITROD
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM

imagine if your missus was making the bed and by accident blew her fucking leg off cos of that fuckin dumb ass piece of equipment i mean FFS what will those stupid fuckin yanks think of next

Large
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
They did say it wasn't recommended for homes with kids.

Neo Dutch
08-02-2009, 08:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD
imagine if your missus was making the bed and by accident blew her fucking leg off cos of that fuckin dumb ass piece of equipment i mean FFS what will those stupid fuckin yanks think of next

Do ya reckon you could sneak one of those into your house and your wife wouldn't know about it?

Large
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
As long as you didn't walk it through the kitchen you'd prolly be ok

BANDITROD
08-02-2009, 08:52 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bear
08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
The Back-up is flawed - in a bedroom, you'd want a sawn-off, not a long barrel.

OZ750L
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
x3 - 13 years teaching at that level would certainly mean you knew which end of a rifle is which plus as well as picking up a few other tips.

Myself, I've grasped the concept of which end the hurty thing comes out of and it's best not to be there when it does and that I can hit generally in the area I was pointing at.

All jokes aside, after 13 years instructing professionals at that level and the intense focus that needs to be developed at that level to understand what you are doing and why, you would have a wealth of knowledge that would certainly be unattainable by the general hunter/shooter. Have you ever considered writing about it? There's a lot of info out there but not a lot of it is good or relevant. Maybe a how to (or how not to) manual or guide or even just a book of annecdotes about your experiences? Maybe just pointing people towards the right information as an unbiased source? That is if it can be written about being probably on the edge of needing permissions or clearances to reveal it? After having both Grandfathers, a Grandmother and Father pass away, I am now realising how much knowledge/information they took with them that I cannot call on anymore.

Myself I would call a fair shooter. Rabbit head at 50m or body at 100m reliably. I've noticed myself that my skills have blunted from what they were when I was 20 or so. Not having the time and/or opportunity to shoot regularly has been a lot to do with it but also picking up a few bad habits and forgetting technique also contribute. Done a few range sessions over the years but don't shoot competitively. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a bit more range work but iron out the problems when I do. Sorta know enough to tell good from bad with guns and equipment but never to proud to ask questions either.

Could do waaaaaaaaay worse than listening to what Naked could tell you IMHO.

Naked... What's your take on sites like sniper.com? (if it's still around?)

CBRRRT
10-02-2009, 07:31 PM
RED NECK

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/11980017335673.jpg

FUCK SAKE PATCH!! WHY DO I ALWAYS GET SLOPPY SECONDS??????