PDA

View Full Version : fork oil change ???

dingo
30-01-2009, 09:46 PM
hi guy's , another stupid question, got roadworty on monday and it seems like my ront end seems a bit lets say soft or springy(stock 88 gsxr 750 forks) seals seem to be good but there could only little oil in them, question is can i drain them on the bike by removing the bottom valve without taking them off????
thank you , im just looking for the easy way out.
Cheers
Carl

Docktor
30-01-2009, 09:57 PM
yep, ya could drain em that way, but ya still gotta strip em down to replace the oil. its about 450mls per fork from memory or ya really supposed to measure the distance from the top of the fork to where the oil sits. Spose if u just wanna refill em to specs, just rip the top off n fill em up to recommended level. The only time i have ever put new oil in forks is when the seals were screwed so I have always pulled em down.

dingo
30-01-2009, 10:03 PM
thanks Docktor , i only got this bike not long ago and i dont know whats in there , i guess i will read up my manuals again , find the level height and measure them , see how they feel from there. hey thanks again for the quick reply.
Cheers
Carl

OZ750L
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Dingo, page 6-18 onwards. Take them out but crack the top cap before removing them. Back off the rebound damper to let the oil out, undo the top, turn it upside down and drain out the oil. Wash it out preferably with Shellite and flush it through until clean. Will take a while and a bit of Shellite. Then take out the compression damper and wash it through as well. Best you can do without taking them futher apart. Try refilling with a 10wt oil or maybe blend it down to around 7.5wt. Manual recommends 407ml of 10wt oil, to 141mm from the top with fork fully compressed. Go with the Docktor though and add about 20ml extra. Tends to help it firm up a little bit. Put it all back together.

When done, set static sag to around 35mm with you on the bike. Have a look in gixxer.com for a post of mine for a few links to the articles on it. Last thing to do is put a cable tie round the leg to check travel when you break. So long as it doesn't bottom out you should be ok.

Hope it helps.

Harry
15-02-2009, 10:51 PM
do your self a favor and through in so new springs,they'd be flogged out at that age for sure

dingo
16-02-2009, 06:45 AM
was thinking bout that ,but i may be going to USD forks yet , not sure.

Harry
17-02-2009, 10:01 PM
up side down is just the same as right up cept da other way....ha.
poeple change oil and forget just how much those springs work...wheelie's..pot holes..save your ass braking :)

dingo
17-02-2009, 10:13 PM
may look into the price of em , took it for it's/my first ride yesterday , goes well , the forks seem to soak up all the shit roads here in mackay played with the ajusters a bit, they are nicer now , rode it for an hour or so then opened it up , I LIKE IT :D , got home and let it idle while i took my helmet off and noticed there is a bit of cam chain noise , time to look into that aswell. can also here a bit of a clunking rattle when i let the clutch out in nutral.

Harry
18-02-2009, 07:34 PM
clunk'in and rattling ?........not the clutch is it ?
iv had near 20 suzuki's and they have all had noisy clutch's
nothin wrong wit em....there just noisy bastards :)

Harry
18-02-2009, 07:36 PM
i'll go if ding goes ! hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

dingo
18-02-2009, 08:11 PM
found a nice quiet bit of road today and rung its neck , smooth as all the way to red so i wont be too bothered by it now,
i figured if it was going to go it would have gone (then ding would have went) O_o

Harry
20-02-2009, 11:34 PM
good ta hear mate...all ways good wen there humm'in [}:)]