PDA

View Full Version : QLD Reptile Expo-Gladstone 18th April

Elapid
29-01-2009, 12:00 PM
G'day all, last year a couple of mates and I put together QLD's first Reptile Expo. We weren't sure how it'd go and actually thought we'd not make back the money that we put in. We were wrong and covered our costs and donated $3000-00 to the Childrens ward of the Gladstone Hospital.

This year we are holding it on the 18th of April at the PCYC in a larger hall because it was a bit crowded last year.

This year looks like it is going to be a lot bigger with more exhibitors and a lot more snakes. I will be in the pit again this year with the Venomous Demonstrations with snakes such as Red Bellies, Spotted Blacks, Mulgas(King Browns), Adders, Coastal Taipans and Inland Taipans and a few more.

If anybody would like to come along and help make the day bigger and better that would be great.If any of you have a few pet snakes and would like to display them give me a call on 0407 372 895. Cost of a table to display on is $50-00.

We will have guest speakers this year such as Simon Stone, from Southern Cross Reptiles. He is the bloke responsible for there being Albino Northern Carpets in captivity now. And Luke Allen from Venom Supplies. He will be talking about what they use snake venom for, how it is used, how it is extracted from snakes etc.

Again, the profit will be donated to a charity such as the leukaemia foundation or something similar.

Cheers,

Kris.

Lucas
29-01-2009, 12:42 PM
G'day Kris. Sorry I didn't get back to you while you were down this way mate. I got your email about a week and a a half after you sent it. I figured you'd be gone by then.

Elapid
29-01-2009, 12:45 PM
No worries mate, all good. Didn't find a single snake in Canberra....they mustn't exist there eh?

Lucas
29-01-2009, 12:50 PM
:D Normally find plenty of Browns, Blacks and the odd Alpine Copperhead. I've only seen a few blacks and a roadkill brown this season though.

Never seen a Tiger in Canberra though, outta town a little yeh.

Elapid
29-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Never even saw a road kill.

Lucas
29-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Where'd you go?

Elapid
29-01-2009, 01:07 PM
the cotter, tidbinbilla, to Lake Eucembene(being summer, I only took shorts and t-shirts. 3 bloody degrees it was there. Lucky I'm fat and hairy. I saw a dead Blue tongue at Cooma.

WATEVR
29-01-2009, 01:40 PM
no snakes in canberra??? there is a bloody big building full of them!!

Benz
29-01-2009, 01:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Elapid

No worries mate, all good. Didn't find a single snake in Canberra....they mustn't exist there eh?

No snakes in Canberra????
Didn't you look inside Parliament House,there's fucken heaps of them:D

Elapid
29-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I've always just called them cunts in there cunts.

Elapid
30-03-2009, 09:03 AM
G'day all, just a reminder that the QLD Reptile Expo is on in a couple of weeks. Be good to see a few of you there and have a yarn. I'll be the hairy cunt in doing the Venomous Snake display. Simon Stone has had to pull out of this years expo. Venom Supplies' Luke Allen is doing talks it the pit about how they use venom to make anti-venom, what they do with wild snakes that I am legally allowed to send them, how venom works etc, the boys from Koorana Croc Farm will be in the pit talking about what they do with the crocs and croc products and Derek Leech will be doing talks on keeping Pythons as pets, how to set up enclosures and other related stuff.

Also, if we can get some hot drunk chicks we'll use the pit for jelly wrestling.....maybe.

Chers,

Kris.

BANDITROD
30-03-2009, 12:18 PM
fuck that would have been cool to go to but maybe next year hey....fuck it my olive died last year through winter and i have been holding off to purchase another do any of you guys breed

lurch
30-03-2009, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

do any of you guys breed

I practice as often as possible.......:D

Elapid
30-03-2009, 12:42 PM
G'day Rod,
yep, we breed reptiles. Got a mate up here that will have olives this coming season(They came from Peter Krauss). I just sold my big boy last week more or less gave him away, but a mate has him so I can use him over my girl down the track. I'll have Water Pythons, Jungles, Coastals, Black Headed Pythons, Green tree Pythons(next year), Childrens, Spotteds and Brown Tree snakes........and I have a clutch of Eastern Browns from this season too, can't see too many people queing up to get one of them. As of the 1st June I'll be getting rid of my collection of venomous snakes. 31st May is my last venomous demo till I get the house finished and the snake room rebuilt.
If anyone on here wants any snakes, send me an email and if I don't have what you are looking for I'll probably know where to get it for a decent price. There are some shonky pricks out there that sell anything to get a quick buck- sick and parasite infested animals are sold way to often.

Cheers,

Kris

BANDITROD
30-03-2009, 01:05 PM
mate my all time fav is a black headed python ...i have a mate who got one not long ago

Elapid
30-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a mate that had a heap, got rid of them a while back because he had too many. He kept the best though- a bright yellow striped male and a normal female. There will be a few at the expo, hopefully a mate will bring his pair of very large adults. Gentle Giants they are.......unless you've handled rats.

BANDITROD
30-03-2009, 02:21 PM
was good to chat with ya mate and i am super excited about getting a BHP mate i have been wanting one for years cheers dude

Merlyn
30-03-2009, 02:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Elapid

unless you've handled rats.

poor ratties

ok, im biased... but i do like snakes :) how much do childrens pythons go for? and how much are euthanised pinkies generally?

Elapid
30-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Childrens go for anywhere from $100-$250-00 privately, or people can be ripped off up to $500-00 from a dodgy petshop. Pinkies that fall into a frezer are usually about 50c each. I breed my own rats and mice and also feed my larger animals chicken necks, breasts and drumsticks. Very cheap if you can get snakes to swing over to them. I keep over 60 snakes and if it wasn't for feeding chicken pieces I'd be broke!

Banditrod, anytime. Was good to put a voice to a bloke that takes it on all fours on the road. I'll let you know how the BHP's go.

BANDITROD
30-03-2009, 07:07 PM
cheers mate and lol you too mate

Merlyn
30-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for that Elapid.

I breed rats, but mine are show rats. I like them too much and win too many trophies to feed them to anything. Although im not doing the Royal Show this year :(

I like the idea of chicken as a substitute, if its still nutritionally rounded for them. Ive met a lot of snake breeders at Expos in Sydney and of the snakes ive seen (not handled cos i was ratty and more often than not had a rat on my shoulder) I have always like children's. Oh and what are the black ones with yellow? Or is that being too general?

What kind of sized enclosure would you need?

Elapid
30-03-2009, 09:07 PM
More than likely a Jungle Merlyn. I have 7 of them. They are my favourite pythons by far. Enclosure size depends on what type of Jungle. Athertons get to 8 odd foot long, so a 5foot high x 4 foot wide x 2 foot deep would be big enough. Palmerstons get to about 4 or 5 foot so a cage 1/2 that size is big enough.

Childrens only ned a small cage- 1 mtr wide, 2 foot deep and 1 foot high is heaps big enough.

Be careful taking a rat to a reptile expo- if people are handling snakes in the same room like a scrubby or olive, the snakes can pick up the scent and someone could cop a feeding responce bite. And that does happen. As soon as I take even a fuzzy into my snake room, some of my snakes get that excited that I have to be very careful how I open cages with some of the snake I keep. Not trying to be rude, but taking a rat to a snake show could end up very messy. Not just for you, but someone that makes a quick movement unintentionally infront of a snake.

Cheers,

Kris.

Merlyn
30-03-2009, 10:03 PM
havent had any problems so far, not in 4 years. i of course dont touch any snake and no snake handler touches my rats.... but honestly ive never seen a reaction from a snake with one of my rats, maybe cos on the day of the show they get washed... yes washed :)

you're not being rude, i understand where youre coming from, but as it wasnt a snake expo alone but an actual animal expo, the pet and animal expo for example, i had as much right to carry my rat around outside a cage as a snake handler has to take a snake out of its enclosure, or the bird guy having a cockatoo on his shoulder... those things bite too ya know :D

I of course wouldnt take a rat to a reptile only expo... but i do wish everyone who has snakes would stop coming up to our obviously domestic rat displays asking if we have any live ones for sale as snake food. We work hard to breed the best show animals and pets... and in our mind thats like feeding your dog or cat to a snake... and its not very nice [xx(]

NakedTurboBusa
30-03-2009, 10:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Merlyn

havent had any problems so far, not in 4 years. i of course dont touch any snake and no snake handler touches my rats.... but honestly ive never seen a reaction from a snake with one of my rats, maybe cos on the day of the show they get washed... yes washed :)

you're not being rude, i understand where youre coming from, but as it wasnt a snake expo alone but an actual animal expo, the pet and animal expo for example, i had as much right to carry my rat around outside a cage as a snake handler has to take a snake out of its enclosure, or the bird guy having a cockatoo on his shoulder... those things bite too ya know :D

I of course wouldnt take a rat to a reptile only expo... but i do wish everyone who has snakes would stop coming up to our obviously domestic rat displays asking if we have any live ones for sale as snake food. We work hard to breed the best show animals and pets... and in our mind thats like feeding your dog or cat to a snake... and its not very nice [xx(]

NakedTurboBusa
30-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Seems Like a fair call.... If went to a reptile show and started oftering to rip the pets heads off.. they would get quite upset me thinks!!

each to their own...

Elapid
31-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Yep, I can understand wht you meen about the pet expo. I'm not really sure it is a great idea to have snakes at these shows- they are surrounded by the smell of prey items. Last year we had a bunny hugger bring a joey to the expo and we couldn't get it through her head that what she was doing was foolish. Letting people pat the thing as they went around the circuit to the olives. If anyone has seen a big olive/scrubby react to the smell of food, they'd see the potential for trouble.

I had a mate with a pet rat a few years ago, it was an awesome little fella. She always washed it,shampoo, conditioner and it used to come when called. Till then I never thought rats would be a good pet.

Cheers,

Kris.

Elapid
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Just letting those interested that we have about 170 odd snakes, a few lizards and a few crocs(salties and freshies)going to be there. 2 weeks to go till the expo.