PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebody Do A 'How To' On Fibreglassing

dane_ra
25-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey all,

I'm sure I could figure out how to do basic fibreglassing etc, but I'm thinking of making a fibreglass copy of my tail section. Just coz I've spent so many hours trying to get all the lines right that I can't bear the thought of seeing it slide down the road in a million bits and having to re build it.

Is this going to be completely impossible????

Also thinking of making another headlight unit... just for shits and giggles. Thinking that the way Large first made the polystyrene model then glassed it would be an easier way to get some nice shapes happening.

Large... maybe some help here.

Cheers Guys.

Gix11
26-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Shayne? Take the stage mate..........

ozkat
26-09-2006, 06:32 PM
What do you want to know? Im no expert but i do work with experts. Show us a pic of your tail section and im sure we can work something out to help you.

dane_ra
26-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Heres some pics from an old post: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1809&whichpage=1

Large
26-09-2006, 10:03 PM
If you want to make a prototype/one off you could use the foam (male mold) method like I did. It's quicker to whack together but will take longer to finish off. Don't use polystyrene...it balls up when sanding...use blue foam for a smoother finish

If you've already got the shape in plastic etc, prolly best to make a female mold of it then churn out your final piece. Shaynee should be able to guide you with the requirements for gelcoats/glasses/resins/release agents etc

dane_ra
27-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Alright, sounds like a start... what the hell is blue foam? And where can I get it?

Next question, whats the best way and what material do I use to make a female mold. Plaster is the first thing that comes to mind...?

And finally (sorry, im a bit green with all this) what are gelcoats and release agents?

Cheers

Gix11
28-09-2006, 01:14 PM
HD (High Density) foam is what they use to create sets on films and other such shit. Unlike the foam in packaging it is, as the name suggests, high density so you can use a heat knife to get the basic shape and sand it to the exact shape. Not that expensive either. Look for somewhere that deals with it near you.

dane_ra
29-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Cheers Gix, I'll keep an eye out for it.