PDA

View Full Version : Ignition advancers and Dyna 2000

sharky
24-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Would I be right in thinking that if I use the Dyna I wouldn't need the advancer ?
Would one make any difference to a stock Fj1100 motor ?

Just wondering if its worth buying one...(on ebay cheap) as the big bore 12 motor will be a while so I thought I might perk up the 1100.

zedsled
24-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Dyna 2000 does not require mechanical advance, dyna S and dyna III still require an advance unit

Jay_G
24-01-2009, 08:10 PM
sharky i am looking into this right now, dyna 2000 new is $400 us bolt on and go.

what i am thinking of doing is getting one of these 3d ignition computer that you can switch maps on the fly, hook a shift light up to.

http://www.autosportlabs.com/-c-1_21.html $89 US for the diy kit

plus around another $130 or so for the EDIS stuff and trigger wheel.

Mech advance is fucked, one spring snaps and you cannot get replacements, i found one from a car at an old school car blokes joint but its too stiff and not getting enough advance down low. kawasaki want $120 for a new advancer unit and there is none in Aus and the sensors on mine are on the way out too that's another $220 and i would still have mech advance.

sharky
25-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Sorry mate...you lost me at 3d ignition computer...[:I]

Jay_G
25-01-2009, 11:51 AM
unfortunately after a bit more late night research it wont be able to do the bike as it will only rev to about 8k rpm.

by 3d i mean it doesn't only vary ignition advance via rpm but also based on engine load taken from a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) or via a throttle position sensor.

next option on my part is to go a megasquirt system which will do it and possibly even put a set of efi throttle bodies on.

Deano
25-01-2009, 02:07 PM
only expexct the same increase in top end performance as you would get with an ingnition anvancer. the only benefit of a dyna is adjustabe rev limit. you can dial in the amount of total advance you want and you cna choose up to 5 advance curves that are not really measurable on a dyno anyway as they all come in low in the rev range. the newer ones surport flat shift.
they are also very unreliabel i hear. few people on oss have gone through multiple pick ups and boxes.

i have one on my race bike but it spends its time in the top 40% of the rev range so it is usful to me but i would say not worth it for a street bike.

Chris41
25-01-2009, 04:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Chris41

quote:very unreliable i hear. few people on oss have gone through multiple pick ups and boxes.
I've heard this on a few other forums too. Too their credit Dyna are pretty good about replacing them but that doesn't help you on the side of the road It's my suspicion that over volting may be hurting them as most of the problems I have seen have been on older bikes. I know of only one race bike running total loss that has had a dyna fail and that was 3 or more full seasons. and i think sometimes it's the pickups but everyone assumes its the box straight away.
If you want one get it off Z1 Enterprises in the states but express your concerns and see what their policy is on returns. always get the coils as well usually worth a lot more mid range

Sharky I wouldn't buy one off ebay