PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a 91 gsxr 750????

dingo
23-01-2009, 08:24 PM
done a bit of a search around the place and cant find bugger all on tuning my 91 gsxr 750 engine , got it started properly for the first time today (no more flooded pots) there seems to be a considerable amount of topend noise , no clunks , knocks or bad rattles , just wear noise? , same in clutch area? , seems to rev free enough however even when warm (bout ten min running) it seems to take a while to return to an idle? could this be a slight intake manifold leak? , also would any one have the time(no rush) to give me a detailed rundown on tuning the carbs? i will be purchasing some vac. guages soon as i find some at the right price (please PM if you have some spare), its not yet rego'd (waiting to find a cheap good rear disc,any one used the ones from HK on egay?)this is my first 4 pot and would rather learn to tune it myself than pay some one , i plan on keeping it for a while :D

Cheers
Carl

pappas
23-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Try this thread! Great Info on it!!

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159718

dingo
23-01-2009, 09:03 PM
ahhh , cool , cheers pappas , been so caught up in ASF i forgot about gixxer and im signed up there, O_0 , mourning atm and had too many , trying to get my mind away , thanks for that , looks like the info i need. (still need some vac. guages anyone? :D)
cheers
carl

pappas
23-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Hope all is well mate. There's some good reading there that will keep your mind occupied for a while.

Mate you can make your own. There is a write up on it somewhere. Not sure if it was on here or somewhere else. Here is one for a twin I just found. http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

dingo
23-01-2009, 09:26 PM
haha, thats mad, how would you go with a 4 pot? , hook up 2 meters 1 for each pair then hook up 2 of the outers to one meter? looks interesting , build one on the wall ,lol [:p]

dingo
23-01-2009, 10:03 PM
thats a most helpful thread , too bad i didnt read it before i stripped and cleaned these , oh well got ime to spare , pull em off and redo em. while im posting , aside the power gain(which i dont need...yet)have people found pods and rejet benificial , im just over pulling the rear appart to replace the carbs(maybe i aint got the knack yet);)
cheers
carl

pappas
23-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Haha!! Found it!! 4 bourbons later!!

http://www.r6central.com/forums/r6-how-guides/173-how-make-your-own-carb-sync-tool.html

dingo
23-01-2009, 10:44 PM
thats awsome pappas, thanks ,will make one in the next few days, may just pullem out again , replace some bits and mic up the butterflies just to get started, give us a yell back on those lights too when ever your ready, though the bikes on here are starting to make me drool , dunno how much longer i can keep it stock O_0

OZ750L
26-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Dingo,

When you go into Gixxer.com, slip into the Oiler section and check out the stickies. Good one there on sorting out carbs. The download section helps a heap too. Might be a 88-91 Suzuki manual going into there soon.

One suggestion with the carb sync tool. Go to a pet shop and get 4 of those little plastic taps they put in fishtank hoses to adjust the air flow. Put one in each hose at about the top of the board as shown. Use them to damp out the pulsation in the hoses to make it easier to measure each carb.

Hope this helps ya.

dingo
26-01-2009, 09:50 PM
thanks OZ750L , shall go check it out , been doing a lot of reading and im getting a lot more of an understanding , gunna rip em out of the bike again and replace a few bits just to help make tuning easier , got more than 4 of those taps here for my fish tanks so i will use em as you say.
thanks so much for your input and advice OZ and pappas im hoping to get onto this tuning thing this week or the next , i still got a few weeks before rego.
Cheers
Carl

OZ750L
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
How's the tuning going? Making progress?

dingo
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
ran out of coin this week , had to save for roadworthy , he said it was all good but the brakes were a bit spongy so come back next monday:(, i knew they were so it was my own fault. i will leave the tuning till after rego now, got the pillion ass on it for rego, once its done i will rip it all off do the carbs while im there, then finish off with one of those home made sync boards. then put the single seat back on. i will be sure to post back on this thread once i try it out :).had my first little blat on it today and i love it:D

OZ750L
03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Flush new fluid through the brakes. Use motul 4.1. Grad a small plastic tube and siphon out the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir and then dry it out with clean rags. Wash all the rags and tube under water when finished this step. Refill with the 4.1. Bleed the brakes as you would normally until the fresh fluid comes through and no residue in bottom of master. Should be a big improvement. Let me know.