PDA

View Full Version : Fuel guage Acewell Dash

lous_1979
22-01-2009, 10:52 AM
HI Guys

I have wired in my New Acewell dash that I got from ExBen (Cheers Mate. Everything works fine apart from getting the fuel guage working. It was a prety easy install in the end.

It is only an on off switch in the tank. So my plan was to wire it in and when it is full the guage raeds full and when empty the ltght flashes so it wont show any level in between.

The switch in the tank is open when there is no fuel and closed with a resistance of 1250 ohms when immersed in a fluid the guage is designed for a max resistance of 500 ohms. (Cant reduce the resistance in the sensor can I??)

So the only way i see is to set up a relay and another curcuit to run in paraell which will run through a 500 ohm resistor the back to the dash

Does this make any sense???

Any simple fixes would be great[:p]

It is a GSXR 1100 93 WP oem tank and sensor

jakam04
22-01-2009, 11:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by lous_1979

HI Guys

I have wired in my New Acewell dash that I got from ExBen (Cheers Mate. Everything works fine apart from getting the fuel guage working. It was a prety easy install in the end.

It is only an on off switch in the tank. So my plan was to wire it in and when it is full the guage raeds full and when empty the ltght flashes so it wont show any level in between.

The switch in the tank is open when there is no fuel and closed with a resistance of 1250 ohms when immersed in a fluid the guage is designed for a max resistance of 500 ohms. (Cant reduce the resistance in the sensor can I??)

So the only way i see is to set up a relay and another curcuit to run in paraell which will run through a 500 ohm resistor the back to the dash

Does this make any sense???

Any simple fixes would be great[:p]

It is a GSXR 1100 93 WP oem tank and sensor

I've got the exact same dash and similar modelled bike and chose to do it the old fashioned way.... riding riding...bike feels sluggish... turn tap to reserve... riding riding.... saves all the heart ache ;)

Jarrod

lous_1979
22-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Jarrod if it had a manual tap that would have been my first option .It dosent have a reserve tap it is all vaccum opperated.

jakam04
22-01-2009, 06:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by lous_1979

Thanks Jarrod if it had a manual tap that would have been my first option .It dosent have a reserve tap it is all vaccum opperated.

Really? I have my 95 GSXR1100 and it came with a tap. I did once have a 94 model and to be honest, I dont recall if it had a tap or not. Apologies for the smart arse reply, just thought you were trying to just do the guage thing.

Jarrod

lous_1979
22-01-2009, 07:46 PM
No dramas mate. Love your bike!! when mine grows up it would like to look like yours.

Cheers for the prompt reply:D

Nick

EXBEN
22-01-2009, 09:26 PM
If it's open when empty then use a 500ohm resistor tee'd into the sensor wire from the tank to the dash & connect the other side to ground. so the dash always sees a minimum of 500 ohms, then when theres fuel in it the two resistancesesssss create a lower resistance so the gauge will read part full ( I don't know how much it will read but it should be at least a few bars) see, clear as mud....;)

lous_1979
23-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks mate will give it a go

lous_1979
27-01-2009, 03:30 PM
MY bad

It is closed with no fuel and open when full!!!!!! Should have doubble checked before i opened my mouth!!!

Ben any ideas?