PDA

View Full Version : quick paint question

crazymofo
18-01-2009, 06:49 PM
gday folks,

ive been going through the dramas of painting my SV650s, however, i did all the prep work, and had a "professional painter" (brother in law) apply the color, the pearl, and the clear coat... all was sweet until he sprayed the clear coat... its gone on in an aerated state. theres bazillion tiny little (what appears to be) bubbles thru out the paint.

so it looks positivly shit.... it was sprayed in acylic laquer. NOT 2 pac.

so now im going to bite the bullet and paint it myself, just wondering if i can scuff back the acylic paint and then paint over it with 2 PAC?? IF SO, whats recommended to ensure i dont get a reaction or just plain fuck it up

thanks guys

cheers.joe.

BANDITROD
18-01-2009, 07:04 PM
nah mate make sure you take it back to bare other wise the 2 pac wont take to the acrilic very well and that means it wont last very long but thats only from personal experience mate so some of the gurus might no a better way

Pommy Chopper
18-01-2009, 07:08 PM
If he's a "Pro" why the Fucking hell did he use Acrylic Shite??
It sounds like it's Boiled, also called Solvent Pop, which is he's not left enough time between coats, and then when he's put the clear on the solvent from the paint underneath is still flashing off and that's what has caused the bubbles.

Give it a rub with 500 dry paper, leave it out in the sun for as long as you can, maybe a couple of days.

Then take it somewhere to get a "Pro" painter to clear it.

If Caboolture aint too far i can do it for you.

But you need to be prepared for it to all shit itself.

What paint brand did he use........don't for Fuck sake say Fuckin Protec!!!!

This "Pro" isn't Gibbo is it???? He's a Pro, but he's the other sort of Pro that does Men for money, free on Wednesdays!!!!!!

Cheers'en ;)

gibbo
19-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Joe,
a freindly word of warning to you mate, make sure you phone Pommy befor you visit as he spends most of his time in the public toilets pleasuring the homeless fags, they call him OL" GLORY HOLE[xx(] You can't miss him, this will give you an idea as to how he looks [:0]. Make sure you wear rubber gloves[V]

crazymofo
19-01-2009, 09:03 AM
lol! funny bastards

ok, i think what im going to do is scuff it back and re-apply in acrylic again myself, seems im better off just doing things myself, even if its for the 1st time... i just keep getting fucked around by "pro's". i know acrylic is shit compared to 2 pac, but i spent so long prepping it the 1st time, and i'll be fucked if i'm going to waste another 20hours sanding and prepping it again.

it was painted a couple of weeks ago and then left to sit, so i should be right to sand into it. SO, going to sand into it, apply the matt black undercoat then do the base again, then reapply the clear, all in light coats allowing flash off time. i'll cut and polish it after a week. sound good??

and pommy i think your right on the money, he did mention that he applied 3 heavy coats of clear to make it apparently dry in a semi glos state so there would be less buffing involved.

cheers.joe.

Benz
19-01-2009, 10:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Pommy Chopper

So what's wrong with Protec?????
I've used it on several projects, and haven't had a single failure.... I used it on my "new" Geep tank, and the finish is easily as good as the Glasurit the bike was originally painted with.
My clearcoat is "off the gun", no buffing, no problems.......

Pommy Chopper
19-01-2009, 02:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Benz

So what's wrong with Protec?????
I've used it on several projects, and haven't had a single failure.... I used it on my "new" Geep tank, and the finish is easily as good as the Glasurit the bike was originally painted with.
My clearcoat is "off the gun", no buffing, no problems.......

Mate if you think that Protec is easily as good as Glasurit you clearly know more about paint than i do.
So i'm sure you'll be able to answer your own question.:D

gibbo
19-01-2009, 04:57 PM
The local fucken butcher knows more about paint than you ;)
Protech is ok ( for the price ) but is no match for Glas. Standox etc.
There you go Pommy, we are in agreement[:X]

Pommy Chopper
19-01-2009, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

No surely not.....there must be something in that post of yours that i can give you shit about?????

Benz
19-01-2009, 05:23 PM
"Mate if you think that Protec is easily as good as Glasurit you clearly know more about paint than i do.
So i'm sure you'll be able to answer your own question."
Take it easy Pommy, I said the finish was easily as good.I guess time will tell how well it holds up.
I asked because I was looking for an explanation, silly of me really..

gibbo
19-01-2009, 08:19 PM

quote:Originally posted by gibbo

No surely not.....there must be something in that post of yours that i can give you shit about?????

Haha, you'll be awake all night trying to find something:D

gibbo
19-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Benz, I've been using 2pack since about 1980 (yeah, I know) and acrylic before that, I reckon the cheaper stuff looks ok for a while but you will find that over the stretch of time the better brands will stand up. As for using the stuff to make a living then I can tell you that Standox is so much better than Protech there is no comparison. But then again if you are the sort of person that does not hang on to a bike or car for years or keep it the same colour then the cheaper stuff will be fine.

Benz
19-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the explanation Gibbo. I have had Glasurit 2pac clear over base on the bike for about eight years, still looks great. I would have used it again, but the Glasurit agency has bounced around Darwin to at least three or more different paint/car dealerships, and I've lost track of who has it, and where it is!!
I hope the Protec will last for at least a few years. It certainly looks the goods now, I guess time will tell! Cheers mate

Pommy Chopper
19-01-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/54165252259309.jpg

Oi Gibbo, found a pic of you in your work gear!!
You know, in them pics you sent us!!
Nice to see you've manned up a bit eh??

Safety first, safety second!!!

Cheers'en.:D