PDA

View Full Version : first fire up probs?

dingo
17-01-2009, 08:35 PM
hey guys, just after a confromation on my suspicions. when i first got this unloved 88 gsxr 750 i drained over 6ltrs of fuel/oil from the sump, as you can see from the welcome page it was in bad need of a makeover. ive only now gone to start it for the first time and it ran rough as shit , i had to go out for a few hours , worked out how the plug leads came off is not how they are meant to be , they were coil 1=1&2 , coil 2=3&4 , i changed it to coil 1=1&4 coil 2=2&3 , please correct me if thats wrong? , its a '91 motor. after i changed that i went to start it and it locked up , was thinking the fuel tap was dodgy even though i pulled it appart and cleaned it. further inspection said pots 1 and 2 were full of fuel , now im thinking rip the carbs out and look at needle and seats ? sorry for the long story
Cheers
Carl

Benz
18-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah needle and seats will do that.If it's as unloved as you say, then there could be rust in the tank, which will cause the needle and seat problem repeatedly. Put an inline filter or two into the fuel line/s, after you've cleaned ALL the carbs out and set the float heights.
Might be a good idea to check the oil again too.........
Your coils sound right,[I think.....] but the feed wires may still be the wrong way around, if the wiring has been messed with.........

evilkarl
18-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I have an earlier model GSXR but I presume the coils wiring is the same. (Coil 1= 1&4), (Coil 2= 2&3.
And cylinders filling with fuel is something that has happened to be before on these old girls, yes needles and seats.

dingo
18-01-2009, 09:42 AM
thanks EvilKarl and Benz , riping em appart now , soon see what nasties are inside. thanks so much for your input :)
cheers guys