PDA

View Full Version : Tyre recommendations?

DiscoDan
16-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi All

I'm looking for a bitof advise on what tyres to put on the project when it's done. It's been so long since I bought road tyres that I have no idea what's good and what's not these days.

It's a slabbie 1100 with 17" slingshot wheels. I'm not looking for trackday sticky but I certainly like to go around corners. Does this sound like a decent sports-touring tyre I'm after or maybe sports. I suspect that ground clearance will be more of a limiting factor than tyre grip.

What are the good options that you guys are using? As always I'm after something sticky, long lasting and as cheap as :) [I'll be real explict just in case anyone thinks I'm serious, "this is irony"]

cheers, danny

Fight_fan
16-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I jst bought a set of pirelli rosso's! From what I can tell they r a gr8 tire, sticky as & wear quite well too! As for cheap... Ah not so! Cost me about $540 fitted if I remember correctly!
U can pick up Pilot Powers for good prices hey!

Lucas
16-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I've got Dunlop Qualifiers, more than happy with them

Gix11
16-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Pilot Pilot Powers. All down to your style of riding mate, If you like hard takew offs and high speeds and do distances, look for a dual compound rear (I run a Battalax)

TurboKat
16-01-2009, 04:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

I'm after something sticky, long lasting and as cheap as :)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Yeah, & I'm after a woman that looks like Beyonce, has tits like Pamela Anderson, an arse like Kylie, legs like Jerry Hall & thinks & acts like a bloke - NOT GUNNA FUCKIN HAPPEN MATE.
There is no such thing as a tyre that does everything that costs nothing. Sticky tyres wear quick & hard tyres don't grip... simple.
Si's got it right with the dual compound idea, it's as close as you'll get but they'll cost money.

TurboKat
16-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Here's a good start.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13823

Tony Nitrous
16-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Not THE best tyres, and not everyones choice, but you need
the tyre that suits your bike and riding so.....
on the Busa and B-King I go either...

Pilot Powers or Dunlop Qualifiers,

Pilots are OK, no major drama's, fairly predictable,
Last me about 5,000k's with plenty of clowning about.
(Had a couple of sets on both my Busa's)

Original Factory (Jap) Qualifiers were nothing special,
after market (Seppo) Qualifiers are fine. First set lasted
about 6,000k with new bike running in and some highway miles,
2nd set are better but are getting chewed up quick.
(both sets on my B-King)

I dont touch touring or dual compound tyres,
its my bike and my arse, neither wants to taste the road,
Good tyres are worth more to me than Pokkies, Piss, McDonalds etc.

Lots of folk will tell you whats great, whats shit, but take
it with a large pinch of salt. Different tastes, styles, bikes,
weights, budgets etc etc make a huge difference.

OLD SKOOL BANDIT
16-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Dunlop sportmax are shit !! Take too long to warm up and slip in the wet, not a good look pulling the "OH FUCK" face in rush hour traffic. I did like the Battalax on the bandit and pilots on the Blade.

16-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Only prob I found with the Battalax was the confidence they give you in the wet. Sometimes I "forgot" it was wet :)

mjcoope
17-01-2009, 12:19 PM
continental sports attack really happy with mine!! check em out

Shadowzone
17-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I never had any issues with the Bridgestone 020's and pulling wheelstands in the wet on the VTR with them. Dunlop's are rubbish. Had one let go on the putty road just tipped it into the corner and it didn't hold (was on a TDM900 so not fanging it real hard) and as for them on trucks I call em Banglops.

Anyway it's horses for courses, personally I run the stickiest I can get for the front and who cares about the back? Keep the profiles the same and enjoy your riding.

rod185651
17-01-2009, 05:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by mjcoope

continental sports attack really happy with mine!! check em out

<center>x2</center>

Bear
17-01-2009, 08:53 PM
As Gix said - dual compound. I'm running Pirreli Diablo Corsa on the rear and it's hooking up good but haven't been able to try it in the wet as yet. I went for a balance between milage/kilometerage and grip.

Something good to find out too is whether your tyre of choice let's go suddenly or gives you some gradual slide feedback before tossing it in completely. Obviously the later is prefered. ;)

miniman1
18-01-2009, 02:08 AM
My favorite tyres are the 'Michelin Pilot Road', hard wearing, great in the wet, and never had a prob wif grip through bends