PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on paint colours

Captaintoc
03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/949940895108096.JPG

Well I'd thought I'd better post a pick when I ask for your opinions on what colour for the wheels and body work, I was thinking all black but now I'm not sure unless I change my nick to the nightrider.

Okay second question is if I was to paint this myself how would I prep the plastics etc.

Thanks
Andrew

Gix11
03-05-2006, 10:17 PM
That's interesting, a slabbie with a thou tail. Nice work. How about go a cobalt blue body work, with polished rims and cobalt blue spokes and centres to contrast the black frame?

TurboKat
03-05-2006, 10:49 PM
All GSXR's should be painted blue & white, it's the rules.

Large
03-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I have to agree with Turbo

Captain, what's the fairing and can you put up more pics pls

gibbo
03-05-2006, 11:29 PM
The best way to achieve a good result is to pay a profesional to do it for you. If you insist on doing yourself then here are a few tips.
1/ try & determine the paint thickness on the parts to be painted, if there are a few different coats, remove paint & start again.
2/ fill dents with bodyfiller, read mixing instructions!
3/ prime with good quality (preferably 2pac) primer filler- may need an etch primer first over bare metal or plastic primer over plastic. Again, read & follow mixing instructions, if it reads 2 to 1, do it as it says.
4/after letting it cure for a couple of days apply a guide coat&, using a soft rubber block sand with approriate sand paper, starting with 240 fre cut dry, the light coloured stuff. If you notice any imperfections now is the time to fix them. Continue sanding with 600 wet & dry & then follow with 800. Use aluminium oxide wet & dry. Buy it from an auto paint reseller as opposed to Bunnings, 3M is best.
4/Peparation is the most important part of the job, the best painter in Aus. cannot make a poorly prepped job look good!
5/ Ask the supplier for data sheets & buy a mixing stick. the data sheets will give you all mixing instructions & flash off times (waiting time between coats) & the stick ensures correct mixing ratio which is very important.
6/Follow the instructions on the sheets!!!!!
7/Make sure there is no water in the air lines, wet the floor down, protect from wind, tac rag, apply paint. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area, preferably a spray booth, use recomended safety gear, if you suffer from asthma do not do this!
8/ before attempting this consider contacting a qualified spray painter, you will in reality only be paying for labour and you will (considering you talk to a good one) end up with a much better finish. Perhaps you could contact Allan at Motorbike Refinishers
0417 583 732.
9/There you go, thats 30 years experience condensed down to a couple of minutes reading.

Give me a yell if you ned any help.

TurboKat
03-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Geez Gibbo you're a top bloke, you've sacrificed any further jobs now that you've given away all the trade secrets. ;)
You forgot to tell us how far away to hold the spraycan & how long to shake it for. [B)]

Captaintoc
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
mmm blue sounds good like the idea with the rims too.

Large the fairing came from ebay from ausstreetfighters and what pics are you looking for as its not quite finished yet but getting very close so this is the first pic I've taken.

And thank you for that info on painting as I do want to do it myself as apart from tiging the new subby mounts and the steering lock I've done everything myself (I did a full rebuild on the motor as well).

I'll try and get some pics of my stockish 91 and the new 91 project later too.

Thanks
Andrew

gibbo
04-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Well Turbo, if you're anything like me you hold it 14 inches from the end and shake vigorously for 45 seconds, er minutes, point away from own face[xx(].
Not to worry mate as I've left out the most important tip that no spray job can be succesfully completed.
10/ Send cheque for final tip, failure to do so will end in certain failure[}:)]

Foxy
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

Well Turbo, if you're anything like me you hold it 14 inches from the end and shake vigorously for 45 seconds, er minutes,

Or in Deano's case 4 hours

LOL HEHEHEHEHEHEHHE :):):)

Rocket
04-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Go with black, it's the new black.

I'm also liking the fairing a lot, can you send more pics?
Is there a name or model number for it from Austreetfighters?
What guages will you be able to fit under it ?

God
04-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Good thinkin Rocket,

Hey Capt, some more pics & info on the headlight/fairing???

Captaintoc
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I think that fairing was a sample that came in but he didn't go with as I only ever saw it on ebay not his website (just my opinion I could be wrong though).

The clocks are MCS SM6 clocks and tacho with billet housings.

That fair IMO is from a pocket bike fairing that has been modified when made.

I'll put up more pics when I get home from work tonight.

Have Fun
Andrew

03gixxerpilot
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
nice work captaintoc
me thinks the blue ( the colour the tank is ) will be nice colour or black with a bule pearl over would be nice to

Captaintoc
04-05-2006, 02:33 PM
I think the tank is actually purple (not sure as I'm partially colour blind haha that why the wiring took me so long to do[:I])thats what the guy said when I bought it off him anyway.

I normally have black bikes but I got told I should paint the bodywork cause there is too much black.

Anyway thanks for the input

Andrew

Captaintoc
06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/51791387079864.jpg

Here ya go more pics

Captaintoc
06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/51791389281440.jpg

Another

Captaintoc
06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/51791389791716.jpg

Too much flash but hey

Captaintoc
06-05-2006, 10:34 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/51791390254614.jpg
Last one.

Sorry for the delay work intruded as always.

Have Fun
Andrew

Large
06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
I like that fairing

Thanks Captain

Rocket
08-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks Cap,
How do you calibrate the speedo and did your speedo cable just screw in with no problems?

Captaintoc
08-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Just screws in it should have the same ratios to work the 99% speedo drives but I'll do some testing very shortly as it should get fired up next week sometime then ripped apart to paint.[8)]

Anyway if need/want more info let me know.

As I'll be moving on to my next project very soon and my notes and stuff tend to get lost over time.

Have Fun
Andrew

TurboKat
08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I got a set of them gauges as well (off Deano), I'm trying to get the odo reset knob off so's I can polish the housings, It's got me fucked so far, can anyone tell me the secret? Or did you glue it on there Deano?

Rocket
08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd be interested to see how your testing goes. I'll need to fit a new set of guages to my 92 GSXR so I can get it all to fit under a bikini fairing. But I guess I'll get instructions with them.
But surely I can buy a speedo with less numbers on it ??
After all, you are only allowed go 110kmh in my state.

TurboKat
10-05-2006, 12:29 AM
It's OK, I got it off now - thanks everybody ;)
It just screws off after all but it's a bloody tricky little bugger.

gibbo
28-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey Billy, read my post on this page. As for your compressor what is it's output (cfm)?