PDA

View Full Version : Motard Fighter

flyingfatman
13-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey guys
i recently bought me a Yamaha xt600E and what to do a motard conversion with it.
now the real question that im having real trouble with is what are my options in regard to Rims?

any feedback much appreciated fellas[}:)]

13-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Relace ya existing hubs.....
17x3.5 front
17x4.25 rear
or
17x2.5 front think you can go up to 110/70
17x3.5 rear think you can run a 130/70
All the above are Excel sizes and don't let anyone tell you you can't get 17x2.5
Requires least amount of dicking around with spacers and brakes and the rest

or maybe 3 spokers off a suzuki across from memory 17x3.0 & 17x4.0 (17mm rear axle I think)
early model rgv's used a 17x3.0 front with a 17mm axle and have the same brake rotor pattern as 600 Bandits and GSX-750F's (290mm Diameter)

I've got a bare RGV front if you wanna try it for size

Bear
13-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeh after motarding my WR, I'd agree with bladehunter - relace your old hubs if you don't want to convert it back.
Does the XT come with cush-drive? Great if it has and even more reason to relace.
I know someone in sydney who will relace for ya if you go in that direction.

Slain
13-01-2009, 02:00 PM
hey mate,
as said the 2 options are 1)sport bike rims (rgv,cbr250 etc) or to relace your stock hubs.
The rims on my retard were done by Ashs Spoked Wheels in brisbane (google him for his site).
If you go sports bike rims you have to fuck around with spacers, finding some rims that are the same siz axle and a brake caliper adapter to fit larger discs.
For brakes, check EBC, on my tard i have ebc 280mm front disc kit which used the stock caliper but came with the caliper adapter to fit the larger disc.
If you need more info jump onto Victotian Street Motard Riders forum or Supermoto Junkie (yanks so a lot of bs)

13-01-2009, 03:26 PM
BTW Rad MFG do cush drive hubs
http://radmfg.com/hubapp.htm

flyingfatman
13-01-2009, 05:14 PM
sweet guys thanks a lot for that.
now im still a bit puzzled. i know i wont be going back to my old wheels, so whats involved in getting hubs replaced? and how much would i be looking at to get both of my wheels done? and about the cush drive im not sure if it does or not, i cant check either simply cause im in another country until next month, but im trying to do my research now to make the switch as easy as possible:D

Slain
13-01-2009, 05:28 PM
if your not going back to the dirt wheels than dont worry bout aftermarket hubs, just use your stock one to cut the cost down.
oh and remember you will need a new speedo due to the 17 inch wheel size. i run a vapor.

flyingfatman
13-01-2009, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Slain

if your not going back to the dirt wheels than dont worry bout aftermarket hubs, just use your stock one to cut the cost down.
oh and remember you will need a new speedo due to the 17 inch wheel size. i run a vapor.

have you done this conversion?
can you shed some light on whats involved in cutting em down?

13-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I think he meant using your old\existing hubs to reduce costs.

Slain
13-01-2009, 07:22 PM
to get your hubs relaced its a matter or counting how many spoke holes are on the dirt rim at the moment, then finding motard rims that have the same spoke amount. Then take it to someone and get them to put new spokes on.
Hubs can be very expensive to buy and often are more than the rim itself.

Slain
13-01-2009, 07:32 PM
heres an example of whats done on mine:
stock rims (18 inch and 21) left over:
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/53885011640725.JPG

Eight ball rims laced to stock DR-Z hubs with 280mm ebc front brake disc and caliper bracket:
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/53885011694235.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/53885011658588.JPG

When you measure the rear rim size just be careful of the chain run as a lot of people go slightly too big and the chain scrubs on the sideway of the tyre (i was lucky and have a 5 inch rear so i run a 160) and also make sure you swap the front gaurd to a shorter version. The larger stock ones get caught in the wind and give you shit handling at 100kmh, most people buy acerbis etc but mine has just been swapped to a RM front gaurd as its about 5 inches shorter.

Bear
13-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Which ever way you go, they key is a cushdrive rear hub. It's a definate if you want to look after your gearbox.

If you want a good Sydney supplier of rims etc, can't go past Ballards - http://www.ballards.cc/Text/1202883682632-6552/pC/1202869851119-8610/CATALOGUE-2008

If you want to buy direct from the importer, John Titman (JTR) in BrisVegas - http://www.jtr.com.au/

One word of note - get the rims relaced by a pro - you will do your head in and stuff it up if you try them yourself without a jig or know-how.

flyingfatman
13-01-2009, 10:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

Relace ya existing hubs.....
17x3.5 front
17x4.25 rear
or
17x2.5 front think you can go up to 110/70
17x3.5 rear think you can run a 130/70
All the above are Excel sizes and don't let anyone tell you you can't get 17x2.5
Requires least amount of dicking around with spacers and brakes and the rest

or maybe 3 spokers off a suzuki across from memory 17x3.0 & 17x4.0 (17mm rear axle I think)
early model rgv's used a 17x3.0 front with a 17mm axle and have the same brake rotor pattern as 600 Bandits and GSX-750F's (290mm Diameter)

I've got a bare RGV front if you wanna try it for size

Heres what i have at the moment.
i have a set of cbr250r rims with tyres lined up, and i could buy em for 100 bucks. then id just have to fuck around with the spacers and that.
what sort of money would i be looking at getting the stock hubs relaced and getting some sort of excel rims.
would i just be better off flogging the bike and buying a motard cause i dont know if i can justify modding an xt600 to a motard if its going to cost me an absolute fortune

Bear
13-01-2009, 10:39 PM
XT600 will make a great motard! Torque on tap.

The CBr rims are definately the cheaper way to go even with spacers made up and don't forget an over-size front brake disc that'll need an adapter/extender for the brake caliper.

Give Ballards a call. They stock everything for converting to motard.

Another word of advice - wind up your preload settings front and rear. You'll need to stiffen the suspension up for cornering otherwise you run wide after braking and getting back on the juice.

Slain
14-01-2009, 08:14 AM
if doing it on the cheap then use the cbr rims adn fuck around with spacers to fit it all. use a left had front cbr disc and make an adapter to space the stock caliper out.
Also drop the forks through the triples a bit too, makes a massive difference on a tard and if you have problems with the top of the legs hitting the bars then buy some bar riser risers lol that raise the level up by 25/30mm, they only cost bout 30 bucks.
Before purchasing the cbr rims measure your axle and the axle size for a cbr as usually finding the same size axle will make the job a hell of a lot easier.

zx12argh
14-01-2009, 12:36 PM
quote:... and also make sure you swap the front gaurd to a shorter version. The larger stock ones get caught in the wind and give you shit handling at 100kmh...

Wuss - I can induce controllable tank slappers at anything above $1.10 [:o] The constant side to side wobble gets a bit much at $1.50

Love your DR slain - mines just a dirty girl and will never get the retard treatment. You should slap on a turbo for shits and giggles.
Do you have a rear cush drive? Worried you'll chew out your gear box?

Slain
14-01-2009, 01:40 PM
cheers mate, no point going turbo as its been done on a drz400 and only gets bout 60hp plus added weight, mine shoudl be a touch over 50 once shes tuned as its got a 440 stroker kit :)
no cush drive and not worried, stock zuki dr-z400sm (factory motards) come without it and seen them with 50,000kms on the clock so not too fazed. i personally think anything over 500cc should have cush drive due to the extra torque but for a little 400 i am willing to risk it