PDA

View Full Version : dropping the engine on 1100 Slabbie

DiscoDan
12-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi Guys

After too long getting parts and organising the shed in preparation I started stripping down the slabbie last night. It's been a few years since I took the sheet off it and I'd forgotten what a beast it is (in a whole bunch of different ways).

Long story short; I couldn't get the motor out of the frame. I've removed all of the attachments and the engine mounts and the RHS frame cradle but it's not keen on coming out. At the moment I'm sitting it on a trolley jack but I think I'll adapt an engine trolley I made for taking out my CBR motor (it's so much easier on twin-spar frames)

Am I right in assuming that the motor needs to slide out the RHS before being lowered? Maybe I just need a bigger hammer.

cheers, danny

latheboy
12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Put something thick and soft on the ground put the bike on its side then lift the frame off the motor, yes it comes out the side where the frame unbolts..

DiscoDan
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Why didn't I think of that? It will make it a lot easier and removes the risk of the 'oh shit' moment that always seem to happen when dropping (often literally) motors. All the bodywork's off so it will be quite simple. Thanks for that.

cheers, d

JackTar
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Or do it upright and put a hydraulic jack under the engine.

DiscoDan
12-01-2009, 04:05 PM
That's what I'm doing at the momement but it's not budging. The risk is it's got further to fall, I'm not worried about the engine as trhe cases are already cracked but it will invariably land on my foot when it goes horribly wrong

12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
sometimes the bastard of a thing can get kinda stuck between the bottom rear enginemounts, or at least they get in the way

DiscoDan
15-01-2009, 12:44 PM
For such a simple task this turned out to be an epic. I finally got the thing out by laying the bike down and then lifting it off with tie-downs attached to the roof. It was still a prick of a job and involved lots of sweating and swearing. Rob was right in that the rear engine mount made itself known to me, and my jemmy bar.

Now I'm dreading getting the new engine in but I don't have to worry about that for a couple of months. I'll most likely do it when the frame's basically bare which will make it a lot easier. I've obviously been spoiled by twin-spars for a few years.

thanks for all your help guys, danny