PDA

View Full Version : Material for wheel & swingarm spacers

11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
What's the recommended material for making spacers. Looking for something that wont rust at the drop of a hat and a little tougher than aluminum. Oh and a friendly place to get said materials from (SW Sydney)

Cheers
Rob

Tony OW31
11-01-2009, 07:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

What's the recommended material for making spacers. Looking for something that wont rust at the drop of a hat and a little tougher than aluminum. Oh and a friendly place to get said materials from (SW Sydney)

Cheers
Rob

If you don't want it to rust, 316 stainless steel is the go.
What sort of spacers?
Why do you need something tougher than aluminium? what do you plan on doing to them[:0]

BANDITROD
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
maybe stainless mate

BANDITROD
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
shit too late on my part but anyway what tony said should do just nice

Cruisecontrol
11-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Haha, ninja'd

11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I've got a front wheel, swingarm and rear wheel to do and later spacers for engine mounting.
Just being paranoid about aluminium crushing & deforming.
As for the stainless I'm not too sure if the little 7x14 lathe would be up to it. Any advice is well appreciated
:)

Cruisecontrol
11-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I bought a new spacer (OEM) for my front wheel and it was some form of bloody light alloy.

11-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I was thinking of usingthe Ti in my leg....bloody doctor said something about not enough bone mass to take it out bastard

Cruisecontrol
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
They won't let you have it...

I asked for one of the plates in my leg so I could mount it on my top clamp as a reminder...
They class it as medical waste and throw it all out with other body parts.

BANDITROD
11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
i got one of my plates and the screws that were holding it in place from out of my leg but that was a few years ago ...but when i asked for my finger back so i could get it made into a keyring for my bike the fuckers said no and told me they dont do it anymore cos its medical waste aswell

Tony OW31
11-01-2009, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

I've got a front wheel, swingarm and rear wheel to do and later spacers for engine mounting.
Just being paranoid about aluminium crushing & deforming.
As for the stainless I'm not too sure if the little 7x14 lathe would be up to it. Any advice is well appreciated
:)

You wont have a problem with aluminium crushing or deforming, most standard sportbike spacers are made from it. If you are worried about it use 7075T6, it is tougher than mild steel, and if you get it hard anodised the wheel bearing seals wont wear a groove in it.

hooligan
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

They won't let you have it...

I asked for one of the plates in my leg so I could mount it on my top clamp as a reminder...
They class it as medical waste and throw it all out with other body parts.

Same thing for me when I asked for the screw from my scaphoid..