PDA

View Full Version : Bike reccomendations

deafwish
20-09-2006, 06:43 PM
G'day again people![8D]

I went and took my little Hornet 600 to Krooz Tune, here in Melbourne to have the suspension done (new springs and oil) and went next door to Dynobike, to have a chinwag with the boys there. They have recently built a Kawasaki 636 streetfighter which got my attention!
All in-house, they have performed (and made) a custom top yoke, custom guage mounts, Renthal Fatbars, barend mirrors, some crazy alien looking fibreglass twin headlight setup, full Muzzy system, orange pearl paint and braided lines. This bike looked insane!
After a little persuasion, they let me take it for a fang!
<my story has a point, bear with me!>

I loved how it was basically a proper sportsbike, but with the street cred of a fighter.
What I want to know is what a good brand of preferably fuel injected bike I can get for around $7k, that I can spend a grand or so on, to fighter it.
I have looked at the Kawasaki 636 (rather a bit more torque than a 600), the GSXR 750, the Fireblade and the Z1000 (bit out of the price range).
The Hornet 600 is a great bike, but really doesn't have the 'brown undies' rush, high in the rev range....
Cheers all.

Daz.

Gix11
21-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Are you really set on a fuel injected bike? You could save yourself a heap of money to put towards the build and get a bigger CC earlier model to make up the difference. Once you have the power you want the rest will be stripped anyway. Look at Judge, how much ZXR can you see there? Getting a newer more expensive bike and blowing your budget straight up comes a big second place to buying an older power plant and spending the dollars saved (on bike price) on mods if you ask me, you have much more scope to make it a real one off fighter then.

deafwish
21-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Cheers Gix.
Are the ZX9's a good base to start with?
I also had a brief look at a CBR929 today.

Gix11
21-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Compared to the hornet mate I'd reckon the ZX( would haul some arse. Ask Turbokat or Ben. I last tried one in '93 and it seemed like a lot of go but too big and heavy due to it's semi touring bias as opposed to full on sports (mind you I was riding and comparing it to the '92 16" front blade then), hence streetfighter material once you loose the flabby bits. I still vouch you can't go past the big GSXR motor, but I'm sure some of these boys will have something to say about that.

God
22-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey deaf,

check something like this out. Should stay within your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Triumph-Daytona-Streetfighter_W0QQitemZ120033578533QQihZ002QQcateg oryZ102688QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am presently (admittedly too slowly) converting my 02 Daytona into a nekkid. Lurv that triple engine! Then again, got to agree with Si on just how good the old gixer-11 engines are both oil and watercooled.

God
22-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey deaf,

do the sums - $7K plus $1K or so, you're painfully close to what Ben's asking for his blue beast.

Go on, call him. You know you want to.

alfiestorm
22-09-2006, 06:55 PM
One with a wheel at each end is always a good idea i find :D:D

deafwish
24-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Cheers for the responses, fellas.
I have spoken with James at Dynoverks, here in Melbourne who built this: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8238/kaw1lf2.jpg

He has told me that he will assist me in buying a 'repairable write off' 929. He advises me that he has many contacts and reckons around $4-5k for one with mainly cosmetic damage. He will strip all the plastic fantastic stuff off it, new top yoke, Renthals, same headlight as the pic above (looks horn IMO) bar end mirrors, relocate coolant reservoir tank etc...etc...etc. He said I will have a roadworthy, registered and shit hot looking fighter, with change for $8k!
I really want fuel injection and have owned numerous reliable Hondas. I really like the concept of the 929 Blade as it has all the race bike type components....
The oldschool oil cooled gixxers are nice, but it really isn't me. I relate them to the old V8's of cars and I'm into my turbo 4 cylinders, so the injected bikes are my style.
Are the 2000+ (injected) GSXR 750's any good to fighter?

Gix11
24-09-2006, 08:56 PM
That's the 666 headlight unit. Starting to be the new "wanted" item with a lot of guys on here. I have one as well.

deafwish
24-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Gix,
How good is it for night riding?

Gix11
24-09-2006, 09:31 PM
It's not actually conneted just yet as it's on the new project but I am running a psycho unit on my running bike which has the same lights, and although they are not OEM standard they shit all over the acerbis etc units. They run a 55w halogen bulb and are modded to run one as dipped light and one as high beam with a much higher beam spread.