PDA

View Full Version : brake Calipers

Gsxar
02-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I brought some of brake caliper paint.
Any1 used it does it look shit?
Old ones just look a bit faded and dull. Also been debating polishing them?

chopaweeza
02-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I bought some "Specialty Brake Caliper Paint" a while ago. I did the prep as per the instructions , used the recommended primer from the same company, sprayed it properly, let it cure for 6 weeks in the sunroom before reassembly and installation. 3 months later I had to strip the calipers down again to remove the paint. It was crap - it chipped super easy, had faded in noticable places and was not brake fluid resistant like the label said. I ended up using a VHT rattle can engine enamel(with a quality etch primer) that was still on the bike and still looking good the last time I saw it.

cammy9r
02-05-2006, 06:30 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/94994023659854.jpg

I used this stuff. 2 pack caliper paint, it did take 2 weeks to fully rock hard cure though but very tough and resistant and maintains shine even through 1500 miles of Scottish weather.

Gsxar
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Cool might have a bit better look around all I found was supercrap stuff which I have my doubts about[8)][8)]

Dark Reign
27-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry to revive this old decrepit thread

But as gsxar questioned initially - is it possible to polish a pair of calipers (6 pot 2000 zx6r) or are they too hard / not able to be polished due to the type of metal??

Hillsy
27-03-2008, 11:01 PM
You can polish them - they're just alloy. The problem will be making them look good. There's a shit load of edges and recessed areas on a 6 pot caliper that are near impossible to get a buffing wheel into.

Fish
28-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Fucking oath, just cleaning them is a pain in the arse. Some times i envy the guys with full fairings, SOOOOO much easier to clean! But that's awawy from the topic a bit isn't it. Yeah polish them up if you can be bothered putting in the time and effort and skinned knuckles. If I were you I'd then protect that polishing with a coat of clear, shouldn't tarnish and will be easier to keep clean. Whish I'd done that with my wheels. You should also be able to better polish if you have a dremmel type tool for al those hard to reach places. You can pick up cheapy knock offs at bunnings for not a heap of cash.

Dark Reign
28-03-2008, 02:33 PM
thanks hillsy, bitchfish

I will give it a go, bought the Ozito (lol) dremel yesterday so hopefully should save me some skin and get into the little nooks and crannies.