PDA

View Full Version : noise from chain?

RED ZX
09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a quick question, hopefully someone can shed some light.

When I am decelerating (engine braking) there is a noise coming from my chain. My Dad and I have looked at the bike while it was on a stand, and we think that its the chain hitting on the case when the slack goes the other way.

The chain is properly adjusted.

I am trying to think of what could cause this, all I can think of is the previous owner went up to a larger sprocket in the front, which might cause it to just touch under brakes?

Any thoughts?

timbo
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe check for any stiff links,check alignment of rear wheel,double check tension.
If you take of the sprocket cover you will be able to see if the chain has been rubbing.
Other than that i'v got nothing good luck mate.

RED ZX
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
All links are good, and wheels is laser aligned.

Looks like a pain to get the cover off, might have to tackle it this weekend.

Gix11
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Have you checked the entire chain for stretch? Sounds like a loose spot on the chain to me from chain stretch over the years and if you say it's adjusted correctly I think you'll find it's new chain and sprockets time.

RED ZX
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
yeah, went through the entire chain through 2 whole rotations, and much to my and my Dad's surprise, the stretch seems pretty even.

I am leaning towards it rubbing on the sprocket cover for some reason, I guess I will find out on Sunday.

BTW, chain is not even half way through its adjustment range, and is not needing freq adjusment, seems quite good actually.

Hopefully the chain and sprockets will last me until I get my next bike.