PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE WANTED: 1989 HONDA CBR400RR (GREY IMPORT)

opindown
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I have found a 1989 HONDA CBR400RR (GREY IMPORT) and i wam wanting to know if anyone has one of these and if so what they are like with power
handling
parts availability

all info is greatly appreciated

cheers
Matt

Weaselman
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Rare as rocking horse poo in OZ
Ive never seen anything older than 92 and that was the only one ive seen.

Some parts interchange with CBR 250's but alot dont.
Most major parts will have to be sourced through importers or overseas.

Honda never imported them so wont really bother getting parts and if they do they will be expensive.
Stick with somthing officially sold in OZ or at least avalible in large numbers

opindown
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
i know a couple of the parts are available for swap over on the rvf400 as well. like the usd forks etc

DiscoDan
05-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Ah, finally one for my field of expertise...

I've been racing a 91 CBR400RR NC29 for a few years and there are a few of them out there. Before the NC29 the CBR400RR was the NC23 so make sure which one you're getting, if it's an 89 then it's most likely a NC23. Don't trust the compliance plate as that only refers to the year it was complied not the year it was made, you're best going off the frame number (the engine number of both the NC29 and NC23 starts with NC23, go figure) or just looking at the shape. There's lots of info here http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BModelinfopage.htm

A few of the guys race the NC23 with reasonable success, with a can, airbox and setup you can coax 59 rwhp out of them. Handling is fair as standard but with suspension front and rear they really come good. Road parts will be hard to come by but people like RB Racing will carry engine parts for the racers.

They are a nice little roadbike but not that fast. I wouldn't want to be paying much more that 3k for one, even that seems a bit steep. For lots more expertise than I can offer have a look around http://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=a22cf66bc68c6e23ceb542adb7072bfa

cheers, danny

opindown
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
thanks Danny for the info. will let you know how i go.