PDA

View Full Version : Kat questions

bluemk1
03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
hey guys, been away for a while but looking to get back into a build.

1st question, are the earlier kat tail sections interchangable with the newer ones? whats involved?

2nd, is it the same deal as the gsxr's as far as engine wwaps go? so could i change the 750 for say the 1100 or the 1200?

thats all for now, im sure ill have more later :D

fimpBIKES
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
hi mate, you wouldnt have just bought a 750 kat off a bloke in newcastle?

bluemk1
03-01-2009, 05:17 PM
no not me, im still trying to decide if i want to do a kat a gsxr or a bandit.
have a gsxr750 sitting in the garage that has thrown a rod so was thinking of building up that but not sure i want to be like every other guy on a gsxr fighter hence the questions about a kat.

once i decide on what bike ill start looking for the right one, or maybe it is already in the garage [B)]

TurboKat
03-01-2009, 05:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

not sure i want to be like every other guy on a gsxr fighter

A-fucking-MEN Brother. ;)
Now that's WERD [^]
While we're on the subject, Pop ups aren't real Katanas. :(

fimpBIKES
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM
BUT you can make a gix look like a proper kat (1100)

Large
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

Now that's WERD [^]

You got 1 out of three Darren.

Must Improve.

Iceman
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
If I ever buy a Kat it'll be a pop up, I'm prepared to cop flack about it, but it's got a pop up light, and that's cool in my book!

Blackkat
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I still want a pop-up kat

Blackkat
03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
750 kats have a defferent bottom engine mounts the rest are the same as the 1100.
efe1100 straight swap with gsx1100.
gsxr or bandit will need all new mounts.

bluemk1
05-01-2009, 12:17 AM
thanx for that aussie cat.

one thing sort of putting me off the kat is that apparently they handle like shit, any truth to that? im not expecting gsxr like handling but also dont want a wheelbarrow :D

probably opening a can of worms here but what would handle better, a kat or a bandit with upside down front end?

Blackkat
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
they are old they handle like an old bike, but this can all be improved

a bandit does handle better and can also be improved but a kat looks better

i just love the look of the kat thats why i have one and keep thowing money at it

suxukifreak
05-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd go for the Kat.

With the way cops are now days, if your going fast enough to make a Kat wobble,
they will put you in jail. [V]

Just my 2 cents.

:)

Tony Nitrous
05-01-2009, 06:50 PM
All Kats can be fixed (its not rocket science)
or you can grow ball's and live with the "entertaining and interesting" handling features....;)

Basicaly think 1000/1100 Kat Tall skinny wheel,
lack grip and wants to take wide sweepy turns.

750 Flop-up, 16" and more fussy to tyre choice and preasures.

I've had both, and both have their pro's and con's,
Both would benefit from a modern 17" front end.
My (Devo's) old GSX has 18"s that work "OK"

rock hard
05-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Tony,entertaining and interesting.they used to call that handling normal..the biggest difference was the old stuff was fuckn heavy and had a high centre of gravity on poor suspention damping.but fuck it was fun!

latheboy
05-01-2009, 09:16 PM

Now that's WERD [^]

You dont <s>own</s>ride a gsxr .. You DONT know the meaning of the Werd :D

bluemk1
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
ok so at this stage im leaning towards the bandit, simply because as much as i love the look of a kat i still love the twisties and after going from an 05gix to an 90gix that already has been a huge drop so will take baby steps i think

gibbo
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM

have a gsxr750 sitting in the garage that has thrown a rod so was thinking of building up that but not sure i want to be like every other guy on a gsxr fighter hence the questions about a kat.

once i decide on what bike ill start looking for the right one, or maybe it is already in the garage [B)]

So what you gonna do with that 750 if you decide not to fix it[?][:p]

Large
07-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I ride like an old "fat fuck" (according to an ex member hereabouts)

Having said that, my Gixxer equipped Kat was the most stable and confidence inspiring bike I've ever owned, (and even managed to blow right past the abovementioned cunt).

Do it and do it right and you'll never look back[8D]

kevkatana
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
My Kat has Bandit 12 wheels,forks and a '90 model 750 GSXR swing arm. Best handling bike I've ever ridden. And now it's old enough to qualify for club rego. $90 a year.

bluemk1
08-01-2009, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

So what you gonna do with that 750 if you decide not to fix it[?][:p]

i will more than likely throw the spare engine in and try flog it off unless someone wants it the way it is and offers a decent price [8D]

bluemk1
09-01-2009, 01:31 PM
so it looks like it will more than likely be a bandit as i just bought this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-1997-GSXF-1200-BANDIT-DAMAGED-GOOD-ENGINE-WRE_W0QQitemZ280299637622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mot orcycles?hash=item280299637622&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

though it could just end up being an engine donor
pick it up tomorrow and asses the situation in more detail then. looking at the detailed pics he emailed me it looks like it bounced pretty well

pappas
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
It's still an active listing on ebay. Make sure he takes the listing off ebay!

bluemk1
09-01-2009, 03:16 PM
yeah im watching that, spoke to him over the phone and he seems decent, just hope he doesnt screw me over, i have an address from where i can pick up the bike and break legs if need be. though if he wanted to screw me i guess he wouldnt give me the proper one [:o)]

he said as soon as he gets home he will get it sorted.

only reason i posted it here is because i trust no one here to steal it from me and go and bid on it:D

though it sounds like even if there was bids, he would just tell them the bad news as i have already made plans to drive up and pick this up tomorrow. [8D]

TurboKat
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
You're buying it from Mark Avard, he's an ex Australian Champion Supermoto pilot, don't know him personally but I raced against him a couple of times & he's quick as 10 motherfuckers, he also did really well in S.M. in the US against guys like Mike Metzger, Travis Pastrana, John Kosinski, Schwantzy, etc.
Now you'll have something to talk about when you're picking it up !

bluemk1
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
holly fuck, yeah thats him. had no idea who he was though!!

guess there is no chance of him trying to fuck me now :D

he did mention he has been in the bike scene for a few years now but failed to mention anything about being a supermoto champ [:p]

Large
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Is that the bike he bet travis couldn't jump 16 buses on?

bluemk1
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

Is that the bike he bet travis couldn't jump 16 buses on?

your a funny cunt :D

he told me it had been looked after lovingly until it met an untimely and premature death.

though now knowing who he is ill be sure to ask him more questions regarding the past history of this bike [8D]

not because i care that its thrashed, i just want to know if its famous [:p]

bluemk1
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
so the bandit is home, it really isnt anywhere near as bad as i first though. the pics didnt do it justice.

replace broken left footpeg and lever, headers and oil cooler and new front end redo some of the broken wiring that got chopped and a new rear wheel and its good to go.

not even listed as a repairable write off, got it from a repo auction apparently.

bargain of the year.

so im on the look out for a k series front end now. anyone know whats involved in fitting one? is it the same deal as the earlier gsxrs and swapping them over? there will be parts for sale from this at some stage as i will be doing a new rear end so all plastics will be going. anyone want them? offers? they are slightly rashed up but other than that no cracks.

edit: anyone know whats involved in checking a frame?
does it need to be stripped or it can be done assembled?

ill end up doing that just to make sure everuything is a ok

megareg
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM

You're buying it from Mark Avard, he's an ex Australian Champion Supermoto pilot, don't know him personally but I raced against him a couple of times & he's quick as 10 motherfuckers, he also did really well in S.M. in the US against guys like Mike Metzger, Travis Pastrana, John Kosinski, Schwantzy, etc.
Now you'll have something to talk about when you're picking it up !

Jesus, I know Mark from my days in Lithgow in the mid 80's to mid 90's, he used to work in the bike shop I used to frequent in Lithgow, bloody nice bloke and a bloody good dirt bike rider, seems he was real good, and he does know Kats, at least he knew mine back then...

My first post for a while and I haven't finished reading this thread yet....

Kats do handle, with modern rubber, Macadam 50E 100/90 on the front, BT45S (I think) 130/90 on the rear, these tyres grip like shit to a blanket, there is a problem with ground clearance, I run out of it on both sides, so you will never be able to keep up with the modern sports bike that has someone that knows how to ride on it, but I can keep some of them honest and surprise the fuck out most of them, and yes, at high speeds, the handling gets a bit vague, but if plod catches you at those speeds, kiss your license goodbye for a while.
Just remember its a 27 year-old bike, you need to muscle it around and have very large balls, it always gives me a smile at the end of the day.