PDA

View Full Version : wiring under tank.

pt
13-09-2006, 07:48 PM
ok i'm a bit worried that the wiring i shoved under the tank RIGHT on top of the engine might melt after some city "riding" and wondered if anyone here has put any heat shield stuff around theirs? would it be worth it and where can i get some?

P.S. can anyone point me in the direction of a chain and sprocket change "how to"? my manual doesnt have ANYTHING about it which is odd and im sure i can do it ok, just thought a how to might have some hints or tips.

thanks again,
pete

fimpBIKES
13-09-2006, 09:03 PM
a bit of heat sheild shouldnt interfere with the the wiring i wouldnt think
and it couldnt hurt

not sure where for the chain, maybe one of the manufacturer websites?

pt
14-09-2006, 06:14 PM
where can i get the heat shield? computer shop? supercrap? hardware shop?

fimpBIKES
14-09-2006, 06:27 PM
maybe supercrap?

a decent auto store should have it

unsane
14-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Any bike shop that sells M.C.S aftermarket stuff should be able order you some heatshield cloth, some stock it but not many, cheap and it works well. Otherwise car shops like others have said. Look out for 'High Energy" brand, they have a good range of stuff from cloth to sleeves to velcro wraps that would suit you. Autospeed.com (aussie car shop) used to have a full range of high energy stuff but the site is a bit of a dud last time i checked.

fimpBIKES
14-09-2006, 08:50 PM
autospeed has never really been a shop though

i agree, the shit that velcos on will go over the wiring nicely

pt
28-09-2006, 04:46 PM
i went to autoone and they told me "nah mate we'd have to order it iiiiin. bit of a paaaaain..[V]"

so now i just rode it without but would still like to find a place that will have it there so i can see what it is....

badvan
28-09-2006, 05:44 PM
u can use the tape for the downpipes.. Dont know the word in english..
But i mean the tape which they use in Dragstersports to keep away the heat from the engine. (Downpipes heat protect tape)

For which bike u search a "how to"?
Whats ur problem by changing sprocket or chain?

pt
28-09-2006, 06:19 PM
the how to thing is sorted out thanks. i found one and its done already:)

you mean that asbestos stuff they wrap the headers in? i dunno whether that would work on the wiring. there is the silver shiny stuff that they sometimes wrap the cooling pipes in, which is what im looking for...

Booster
28-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't worry about the temps undertank, if it were hot enough to damage the wiring , the engine would have already boiled dry and it would be too hot to sit on.Just make sure the wires are secured well and all the live wires are suitably insulated

pt
28-09-2006, 07:37 PM
yeah good point if it was that hot i'd be having fuel vaporisation issues. i went for a fairly long ride timewise today and the engine temp stayed around 80 so its all good. when all that plastic shit was on it was runnign around 90[^]