PDA

View Full Version : how does a GSXR run on pods?

DiscoDan
29-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Guys

I'm fitting up the r6 shock (thanks to DCRacing) onto the slabbie 1100, this means I have to jettison the battery box because of the shock resevoir so I need a new home for the battery. I'm eying off where the airbox is and given I'll be fitting a later model engine it may be problematic anyway.

Thus the question: will the stock 1100 engine run well without an airbox, using foam pods or paper filter? I know with other fours it can be a real pain (or impossible) to get a smooth power curve without an airbox.

thanks in advance, danny

Fish
29-12-2008, 07:37 AM
I got pods on my 7/11 and it's smooth as a baby's bum.

evilkarl
29-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Yea you just need to get the jetting right, It probably won't run well with standard jets.

_M_
29-12-2008, 11:22 AM
I personally wouldn't fit the battery any higher than where it is at, if anything i would go lower, you'll throw off the COG and COM and turn in won't be as good or precise, but that's just me cause i like to corner. Can you put it above the gearbox area or get a smaller gel battery and keep it in the same area???

DiscoDan
29-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys, looks like it won't be a problem

I've had the same concerns M, if I can find a more centralised location I'll do that but under the tank is a good fallback position. By the way, did I just hear you describe a slabbie's turn-in as 'precise'? That's stretcing it a bit but is half te fun of the bike.

cheers, danny

Deano
29-12-2008, 04:52 PM
if you can notice the difference between a battery been relocated within the frame by a couple of inches or so then you are a better man than I.

can you also pick the lesser amount of gyroscopic effect that worn tyres have compared to new tyres. do you run nitrogen in your tyres and always ride around on reserve so that the excess weight of a full tank of fuel dosn't upset the handling charistics.

it is not a dig (well maybe it is) but i am extremely impressed by your ability to pick the difference. you have a well tuned ass by the sounds of it

Deano
29-12-2008, 04:53 PM
pods no problem, just jet it right. get it on a dyno. you may loose a small amount of mid range. don't expect to see a gain up to (but who rides on redline anyway)

DiscoDan
29-12-2008, 05:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

it is not a dig (well maybe it is) but i am extremely impressed by your ability to pick the difference. you have a well tuned ass by the sounds of it

No digs taken, it's a very valid point. The reality is it won't make that much difference but you can see effecgt of a big mass like that being moved around. On my race bike you can notice the difference and it then effects your 'feel' for the bike which is what makes you go faster. Having said that it's still just about how you ride it.

On a road bike it won't make any difference but if it can be done easily then why not? I suspect I will still put it under the tank just because of the aethetics.

cheers
d

oldskool
29-12-2008, 10:21 PM
leave the battery in the same spot just fit a new battery box and use a smaller battery IE YTZ12BS

jmw76
30-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I have had no luck at all running a smaller battery (12 series) on the GSXR 1100 engine.
You need the standard bettery to give enough punch to start the motor reliably.