PDA

View Full Version : Req Parts for Katana Clutch Rebuild (APE)

fimpBIKES
11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
hi there fellow mad bastards

im looking to get the bits to rebuild my clutch on the kat (hopefully before straightliners if possible)

its a 1981 1100cc Katana
so would it have 11mm rivets or the 11.9mm rivets?

the parts page is here
http://gszone.biz/clutches.html

i think i would need to order
>BILLET CLUTCH BASKET ASSEMBLIES
Billet basket only
BCBS1100 Early style 11mm rivit $229.00

>CLUTCH HUB REBUILD
CHK1100 early 11 mm rivits $129.95

the thing is that the clutch hub rebuild Kit includes heavy duty springs, rivits and backing
plate.
so how would i do the rivits, does it need a special tool?

my clutch currently rattles like all fuck, and slips when it gets too much load
i was told by the local shop that the 2 are seperate symptoms the rattle being because the basket is shot and the slipping cos the plates are worn
im running mineral oil too cos they said teh old ones dont like the semi-synthetic, causes slipping etc

the other thing i am looking at is replacing the cable
and i thought that this looked pretty snazzy

"RDB RIGHT SIDE CLUTCH CABLE KIT

You will wonder why no one came up with this before. This kit brings the clutch cable from the lever, down around the right side of the motor. No more snaking the cable around under the carbs, through the air box, etc. RDB and most other aftermarket covers. Won't fit stock cover.

Much smoother clutch action.

RBD 630200 Bracket and cable $49.95"

so whatta u think
i have plates at the local shop so all i need to order is a billet basket and the rebuild kit yeah?
i wont need a new bolt will i?

katana is daily transport at the moment, so it would be good to be able to get all this done while watching the GP on the weekend :D

so i would need to order later tonight i would think

any recommendations would be appreciated
the local guy who rebuilds them at wallsend cant get to it for 4 weeks and i admit i sorta like the idea of the billet basket [8)]

11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
I think you'll need a press for the rivets Fimp, or access to somebody that can do it for you. The rest of it should be easy as.

That cable is going to cost, what with the cost of an aftermarket cover, wonder if it's worth it.

fimpBIKES
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
oops, didnt realise that u needed the new cover for it

screw that!!! :D

i like my cover now, its shiny

fimpBIKES
11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
mmm, is there welding required to replace the rivits?
is it aluminium welding?

i might just wait for the pro to become available if thats the case
maybe just put new plates in for straightliners?

11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Welding isn't necessary, people do do it, but you should get 50-80,000 out of the new ones without it being a problem. You're not turning it into a drag bike are you?

Give Exben a shout, he should be able to tell you about the rivets, or Mundy of course.

fimpBIKES
11-09-2006, 09:00 PM
not a drag bike
i just want to tidy up the engine so its reliable then play with the chassis

i think maybe just a rebuild kit would do it
i have been reading my GSX1100 manual and i dont think that there is any reason that the basket would be stuffed
just the rivits come loose and the springs get shagged out from what i can gather

fimpBIKES
12-09-2006, 12:33 AM
hiya, would this get me out of trouble (along with some new clutch plates and springs)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=160027811388&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
its of a 1000, but are they the same part?

12-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Nah I think that's off the earlier GS series, plus it'll probably have the same problem developing.

If you're just worried about the rattle then ring around today, someone in Newie/Sydney will have the stock rivets and springs for them. Getting the work done shouldn't be that much of an issue if you pull it apart yourself.

fimpBIKES
12-09-2006, 12:31 PM
manual says i need a special tool
or a "grabbit"

shall call the local, they had plates and springs in for me
perhaps they can get the rivets too

billet clutch would be nice, but cant really justify it

just wondering, how many plates should i have, 8?
manual shows 9

13-09-2006, 06:49 AM

The special tool is like a pair of vice grips with extensions off the end. If the Clutch hub nut is too tight you will need it. Kwaka uses the same tool

Ed74mnd
13-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey fimp,

my clutch did exactly the same thing.

the quick and easy fix was a set of heavy duty clutch springs.. no more rattles, no more slip.

I'm also looking into beefing up the clutch basket.. interesting stuff.

i also put in new clutch plates at the same time, altho the old ones were fine anyway. the steels were all Ok too.

if you're ordering something from OS, it may be cheper to have 2 shipped?

I just got my 1133 Wiseco pistons and cylinders. :D

Cheers

Ed