PDA

View Full Version : Z1000J ignition sort it out or burn it down?

tommartin69
22-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi and greating from this newbie!
I have an '81 Z1000J that has some ignition issues - dyna s ignition - works great apart from timing it. Front pickup - 2/3 coil times as it should - rear pickup - 1/4 coil is about 30 degrees advanced and waves about on throttle up.
I took the rotor out and stuck it on a lathe for a look - like a dogs hind leg after a certain prang [rear ended in a carpark], subsequent drop smashed the timing cover and the old ignition pickups.
Even so the trigger still passes the pickups at the same distance at 180 deg. apart.
Has anyone had to deal with this shit???
Any good ideas for options???
It is a fresh 1075 rebuild and seems a shame to burn it to the ground in frustration.

Gix11
23-12-2008, 09:29 AM
This is just the intro section mate. I'll move you to the advice section but be prepared to start another intro topic with a few words about yourself so the guys know who they're talking to. cheers.

evad
23-12-2008, 11:18 AM
hey Tom, not a real boffin on this but I think that the dyna s has the black box built into the plate that has the sensors are on, unless Zedsled has something I would look at getting a new dyna s from z1 enterprises in the states, they are awesome to seal with and price is cheaper than Dyna themselves

have a look here:-

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=200

tommartin69
25-12-2008, 09:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

This is just the intro section mate. I'll move you to the advice section but be prepared to start another intro topic with a few words about yourself so the guys know who they're talking to. cheers.

Thanks man - I'm brand new at the whole forum thing so I am yet to learn the etiquette.
I look forward to participating.
Tom.

tommartin69
25-12-2008, 10:04 AM
[quote]Originally posted by evad

hey Tom, not a real boffin on this but I think that the dyna s has the black box built into the plate that ....

My Dyna S is a little over twelve months old - should and seems to be working fine.
Upon further inspection I found more of the wrong clues, the little bits of alloy around the inside of the timing cover under the timing plate where a bit suss. But the flog marks in the alloy rotor where a dead give away.
I had cleaned and greased the advance mechanism when I did the top end up [1075]. Loose flyweight springs and flogged holes/bushes do explain the erratic timing. And perhaps revising the dyna s pickups, stating timing to ensure 180 degrees seperation on the crank.
Losing the bent advance rotor will be a good start.

evad
25-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Tom,It might be easier to source a new advance mechanism than try and repair the old one. Just a thought ...........the pin in the end of the crank where that positions the rooter isnt bent is it?

tommartin69
28-01-2009, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by evad

Tom,It might be easier to source a new advance mechanism than try and repair the old one. Just a thought ...........the pin in the end of the crank where that positions the rooter isnt bent is it?

Upon further inspection I found a few things and learnt a few more - The pin that locates the rotor in the end of the crank is fine, the rotor however is rooted. Looking at the end of the rotor when turning the engine over shows about 2 mm run out - took it out stripped it stuck backwards in a lathe for a look - I reckon a blind man with a blunt knife could whittle a better one!!
Ebayed one from a dude stateside - stuck it in.
I shant use profanities to express my joy - but what a difference!!
A timing light said things are good - still idles like poo [always did] but it is back to it's old self - 2nd gear wheelspin and wheelstands at 100kph+.
It's not fully sorted - but is a lot closer.
Now - who knows what about carbs and tuning?

gixkat
28-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Profanity away Tom, you will be hard pressed to upset this bunch,
welcome to the site.

Pommy Chopper
29-01-2009, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by tommartin69

quote:Originally posted by evad

Upon further inspection I found a few things and learnt a few more - The pin that locates the rotor in the end of the crank is fine, the rotor however is rooted. Looking at the end of the rotor when turning the engine over shows about 2 mm run out - took it out stripped it stuck backwards in a lathe for a look - I reckon a blind man with a blunt knife could whittle a better one!!
Ebayed one from a dude stateside - stuck it in.
I shant use profanities to express my joy - but what a difference!!
A timing light said things are good - still idles like poo [always did] but it is back to it's old self - 2nd gear wheelspin and wheelstands at 100kph+.
It's not fully sorted - but is a lot closer.
Now - who knows what about carbs and tuning?

Pommychoppers Caboolture

zedsled
30-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Might be able to help, but need some more info. Have you still got standard cams?. What carbs you running? Have you balanced them recently? have you messed with the jetting?
Cheers, Jason