PDA

View Full Version : Head stem bearing symptoms

deafwish
22-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey all - long time no visit...
I'm curious as to what the symptoms are of a failed head stem bearing?
I was riding my 2004 Z1000 on the weekend after having the bike stored for 6 weeks and whenever I braked on a slight angle, I was experiencing slight brake shudder through the bars/ brake lever.
I have checked the tension of the caliper bolts, handlebar mounts, top yoke bolt, fork bolts, rotor glazing, pad thickness and even checked wheel bearing play.
I doubt my 1000km old front Pilot Power has flat spotted from being stored, but could be a culprit?
I do not have the facilities to lift the front end off the ground & am curious if anyone could offer suggestions as to what might be the issue?

Cheers.

Daz.

Deano
22-12-2008, 06:40 PM
warped rotors?

get the front end in the air take off the damper and move the bars side to side. if you feel anything then they are probably stuffed.

also if you move the bars only a couple of degrees off straight then it could settle back to the straight position if this happens then the balls/rollers have dented the inner or outer rings because they have sat in the same spot for so long.

probably pay to pull it apart anyway and have a look/regrease.

TurboKat
22-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Need to borrow a front stand Daz?

deafwish
22-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, guys.
Daz, is your stand the one that puts the bolt/ pin the bottom yoke hole? If so, I still can't turn the 'bars!
I use my rear paddock stand with a metal rod through the front axle to get the front wheel in the air, but this also won't allow me to move the bars...
I almost need a rope/ webbing to lift it at the front of the frame to get the front end swinging!

TurboKat
22-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Yep, I got both kinds, <s>Country AND Western</s> the type that goes under the forks & the one with the pin for under the bottom triple clamp (& another type that lifts the bike in the middle from the swingarm pivot) Take your pick.

deafwish
22-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey Daz,
I'd love to borrow (or drop by with the bike)for the swingarm pivot one, if it's not too much trouble?
Can I pat that friendly 'labrador cross' if I drop by again?! Haha!

TurboKat
22-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Anytime sport, you have my number.

deafwish
22-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I'll contact you after Xmas to tee up a time.
Thanks again, mate.

Slain
22-12-2008, 09:46 PM
if i need to work on the front end on my blade i put a car jack stand under the oggy knobs. on older bikes you can put them under the frame.
when my head stem bearings were shot the steering was notchy and it tankslapped like a mofo cos they were so loose. so get the bike in the air and turn the bars and see if you can feel a notch effect rather then a smooth motion.

deafwish
22-12-2008, 09:49 PM
My Oggy's are above knee hight & my jack stands don't extend that high...
Should head-stem bearings be shot after 28K km?
I wheelie like a girl, so they can't be damaged from that...

Slain
22-12-2008, 10:26 PM
my blade had 18k km on it and they were fubared.
my oggys are knee height too, big chunk of wood under the jack stand raises it high enough
i use two scissor jacks (one on each side) and wind each up at the same time to raise the bike up and get the stands under it.

BOHEMION
22-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Man Id be suprised if it is the bearings. ive got a 04 Z750, Wheelie at most chances I get, have had some hard landings too, and Ive got alot of K's on the bike. Check ya Front Carrier Bolts are still there. But as Deano suggested, Could also be Rotors

ralph
23-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Have you checked the tyre pressure?

deafwish
23-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi Bo,
Are the carrier bolts, the bolts that hold the 'floating' rotor to the rotor 'hat'?
The rotors can't be warped as they don't shudder when the bike is up-right.
I'll try use this oggy method...
Thanks fellas.

sickboy
23-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm tending to think its a brake issue,maybe a sticky piston-pistons ,I would start with the brakes first before doing a whole frontend dissmantle.

BOHEMION
23-12-2008, 10:17 AM
The carrier is where the Calipers are bolted too.

davio
23-12-2008, 05:13 PM
u dont need a stand mate ,with the help of a friend u can just pull it up so it balances on the side stand and the rear wheel its hard to get it up there but once u have it balanced ur mate can hold it while u move the forks side to side, what ur lookin for is any sticky points in the travel so do it slow and smooth and u can easily feel any dodgy spots. 99% of time the damage is at the centre position.then grab the bottom of ur forks and push and pull them in line with the length of the bike , if u feel any movement ur bearings are loose and need a nip up