PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoaters/anodizers in Brisbane+forks question

slip
14-12-2008, 07:09 PM
1. Fork legs - can you pull em apart yourself (USD ZXR750 items)?? Or is it a dreaded Dealer job? Want to anodize the legs, and paint the axle/calliper mount bit.

2. Powdercoaters/anodizers - There's a few around, but I don't know who's good, who's pricey etc. Anyone got the hot tips? Want someone who won't spray down the steering head, will plug bolt holes etc - do it right.

Powdercoater for frame/swingarm/wheels and a few little bits.

Anodizer for fork legs. Currently gold, gonna send em black.

Should already have a painter teed up for tank and engine, he just doesn't know he's getting the engine yet...

Cheers,

slip.

Tony OW31
14-12-2008, 10:52 PM
A1 anodisers in Ormeo is who I use, seem to do a good job at a reasonable price. Got to be careful with some of those cast alloys tho', they don't anodise well.

Pommy Chopper
15-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Caboolture Powder Coaters is who i use.

slip
15-12-2008, 08:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

A1 anodisers in Ormeo is who I use, seem to do a good job at a reasonable price. Got to be careful with some of those cast alloys tho', they don't anodise well.

Yeah, couldn't really see any other option though, or am I missing something?

Tony OW31
15-12-2008, 09:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by slip

quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

Yeah, couldn't really see any other option though, or am I missing something?

In the past i have shaved a bit off from somewhere that cant be seen, and given it to the anodisers to try.

Fish
15-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Don't use beenleigh powder coaters they will unpack all your tape and spray where you shouldn't spray, just ask warhound.

zx12argh
16-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I used Lewis & Sons in morningside - pricey but superb job. As a guide $270 for a frame $100 for a wheel $60 for an engine cover. That covers all blasting and prep work - you do nothing but drop it in. They have a bloke dedicated to doing the custom stuff and he really knows his stuff.

slip
16-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Cool thanks boys. Some guy wants to do my frame/forks/wheels in teflon. Going to see him tomorrow, and check out some powdercoaters too. Found a cheap one but they don't do prep, just want me to sand the parts back with 120 grit. Old powdercoating still on there, would probably have to prepsol the parts as well? Sounds a bit too hard for me.

Pommy Chopper
16-12-2008, 06:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by slip

Cool thanks boys. Some guy wants to do my frame/forks/wheels in teflon. Going to see him tomorrow, and check out some powdercoaters too. Found a cheap one but they don't do prep, just want me to sand the parts back with 120 grit. Old powdercoating still on there, would probably have to prepsol the parts as well? Sounds a bit too hard for me.

Fuck that idea Slip, you'll never get them clean enough, then when it goes to shit they'll say it's your fault cos you never cleaned it enough.
If they're doing Ali parts the good places dip it in some acid after blasting for a better key.

slip
16-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I'm going to check out the Caboolture guys. Not even bothering going to see the cheap dude. Lots of effort for a risky job, fuck that.

joesbuell
26-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah use Caboolture Powder Coaters if ya want a fucked job mate!
Out of all my parts they did only the frame was any good but they still wiped a part clean that should have been coated...lucky I could make a part to cover it up! The owner has a FUCKED attitude too. I would never use them again!

All my ally parts had like fish eyes in them as if they sprayed over silicone! and he couldn't understand why I was not happy!

Thats my 2 cents....

Pommy Chopper
26-12-2008, 01:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by joesbuell

Yeah use Caboolture Powder Coaters if ya want a fucked job mate!
Out of all my parts they did only the frame was any good but they still wiped a part clean that should have been coated...lucky I could make a part to cover it up! The owner has a FUCKED attitude too. I would never use them again!

All my ally parts had like fish eyes in them as if they sprayed over silicone! and he couldn't understand why I was not happy!

Thats my 2 cents....

Interesting mate.
They've done quite a few bits for me and have always done a great job.
I guess you pays yer money yer takes yer choice??

I think Lewis' Powder Coaters had a stand at Story Bridge show, they had some stunning parts there.

If you're really stuck Slip i can 2K the bits for you.
If you no happy, you no pay

:D

And i'm 2 mins from the Powder coaters.

Cheers.:D