PDA

View Full Version : Tyre "growth"? - Front guard tyre spacing.

Nudie
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm fitting a front gaurd (not standard) and was wondering how much clearance from the tyre to leave. I presume that the tyre diameter increases as speeds increase due to the centrifugal effect. I dont have any other bikes around to look at to see what the factory leaves, so any ideas?

Russ

BANDITROD
10-12-2008, 05:30 PM
when i fitted mine i allowed 15mm and as far as i know it has not touched once

Gix11
10-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I use an old trick mate. If you have an old motorcycle chain lying around drape it over the front tyre and sit the guard on top. Your clearance will be fine but you'll have it as low as it will go which makes it look better.

Nudie
10-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys, I was gunna use an old extension cord (about 6mm) as a spacer to hold the gaurd off the tyre to measure up for brackets. But I may need something a bit more substantial!

Cheers

Russ

HueyonaBlade
10-12-2008, 06:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

I use an old trick mate. If you have an old motorcycle chain lying around drape it over the front tyre and sit the guard on top. Your clearance will be fine but you'll have it as low as it will go which makes it look better.

This is what I did!

Docktor
10-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I have about 5mm clearance and it dont touch........ maybe I dont go fast enuf for the tyre to grow ? :)

fimpBIKES
10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by HueyonaBlade

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

This is what I did!

ditto!

Deano
10-12-2008, 06:38 PM
be careful though as if you make it to close any stones that get caught in your tyre will rip the shit out of the inside of the gaurd and potentially show through on the outside as paint cracks.

just ask turbokat about that one

Iceman
10-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I left about 10mm on the GS, and I've found that to be ample when getting trailered around. lol