PDA

View Full Version : Buying new bike, need advice!!!

AK47
08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Hey guys, Im buying a new b

AK47
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
*mouse has a mind of it's own*
Buying a new bike from Peter Stevens this week, (probably a Z750 [:p] )
The price is marked down already to $10,300 or so
When buying a NEW bike, is it like buying second hand?
Do only chumps pay sticker price? Or do you just pay what they say?
Can/should you try to get the price down? And by how much? Does it matter that it's marked down already?
If anyone can help me save a few bucks, it'd be HUGELY appreciated.
Anyone in the industry can shed some light perhaps?
Thanks heaps!!!

Tony Nitrous
08-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I normaly check the price aginst other dealers,
its only a good price if its better than elsewhere.
I dont always go the cheapest sticker price, my B-King wasnt,
but I prefered the shop I used and got a better trade in.

I also object to paying for the 1st service,
it cost them VERY little and should be free,
(but I dont mention that untill im about to sign)

sharky
08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Haggle mate...they can only say No....if they won't drop the price see what extras they will throw in...

DiscoDan
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
If it's anything like the new car market at the moment then it's a great time to buy. I bought a new car for my better half a couple of weeks ago and I've never seen a salesman's pants hit the deck so quickly when we walked in ready to buy. They are all carrying huge amounts of stock and people have just stopped buying so they're kinda fucked. I assume the same thing will be happening with bikes as they are more of a discretionary item for many people and bikes are the first thing to go off the list when times get tough. I'd suggest going in with a stupid offer and see how it goes. We did that on the car and ended up haggling to only $600 over it, at the end of the day we got 25% of the list price.

Also bear in mind that they will be keen to get rid of bikes with a 08 manufacture date on them before the end of the year so you can use that as a big lever.

cheers, danny

slip
08-12-2008, 10:12 PM
You can often get a better deal overall with free servicing and cheap accesories than a big discount on the bike. Going for free onroads is a good option too. They will often do the most when you're about to walk, and seem like you can be sold...

There isn't much profit in bikes for dealers, they make their coin from servicing and parts, so that's where the markup is.

Shadowzone
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
From my experience selling bikes in the past, a bike at that price probably has around $1k margin in it. Allow them to make some money cause they still need to make a profit to keep the doors open, but if you can get anothr $600 - $700 off it it is a good buy.

Don't pay Dealer Delivery, cause thats a scam.

Otherwise go your hardest.

Weaselman
09-12-2008, 06:58 AM
yeah make sure you get discounts on gear and accessories...

AK47
09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Nice one! Thanks heaps guys. I'll be smashin' that Z750 come weekend, I'd say! :D I'll go for some good discounts on the gear & servicing.
Thanks again!

Gsxar
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Hit them up for a good price for any gear you need as well :D;)