PDA

View Full Version : Spacers

WarHound
08-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice I have had from you guys of late its really helped me get the bike on the road. I have one last little thing I need to sort out. I have 92 GSXR USD forks on the front end. We measured up the distances with Digital callipers but the spacers still seem to be a little small. What I am trying to do is fill the space that was once a spacer and the speedo reader. The bike did not have any spacers when I got it so its a little difficult to determine what the sizes are that I need. Is there something I am missing when it comes to measuring or getting these things made up or is it just a hit and miss thing? Also if anyone can make up some spacers for me or anyone on here knows the measurements by off chance I would appreciate the help.
Thanks again
Mark

Gix11
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Are you saying you are ditching the cable driven speedo drive for a magnetic digi set up and want to replace the speedo drive with a spacer instead? If I remember rightly the speedo drive unit (which was also the spacer) measurd up to about 25mm wide. I'm sure someone will have a unit to hand to confirm. We converted mine to flat disc carriers (as opposed to the original concave ones) so my set up is useless as a decent guide.

dinorider
08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
just push the wheel to the non speedo drive side and measure the gap with a set of verniers.1mm internal diameter larger than the axle and the external diameter should be the same size as the inner part of the sealed bearing.thats all I did with my gsx 1100 that now has a 88 750 front wheel on it.go to any engineering shop and they will knock one up on a lathe for you.

latheboy
09-12-2008, 06:03 AM
I made a spacer to take up the area when i removed the speedo drive, Im not using it anymore as i've got a new front end ... i can have a look for it if you like...

WarHound
09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
That would be great and thanks for the advice. I am not ditching the cable speedo, I just dont need it because the GSXF like the bandit uses something else. When I got the bike there were no spacers at all so I have had to make something from scratch. Being a complete Novice we grabbed some digital callipers and measured but at low speeds the bike sometimes feels like it weaves slightly and the front brakes shudder slightly under light pressure .. which for now I am putting down to the wheels slight movement. Looking at the spacers I had made they seem like they could be a mm or two more. But before I go using guesswork I thought I would ask anyone else thats done it.
Thanks again guys 8)