PDA

View Full Version : Rad overflow bottles

Lucas
06-12-2008, 12:03 PM
I pulled off the tail today, getting it ready to be cut and painted. I'm going to need to relocate the Radiator overflow bottle. I'm gonna get a steel drink bottle and mount it near the rad. How much pressure comes through the overflow? I'm guessing the the stock plactic bottle has some flex in it. Has anyone had drama's with the steel bottle pressurising and blowing its hot steaming load on ya legs?

BANDITROD
06-12-2008, 12:24 PM
you shouldnt have any pressure build up at all in the overflow bottle cos it is exactly that it only catches the excess fluid from your cooling system mate

rod185651
06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Had mine fitted at the beginning of the year, and haven't had a problem with it. That includes both on long rides, and stuck in Sydney peak hour traffic.

Lucas
06-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Sweet. Good on ya's rod's

Issues
06-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Like Rod said. Your overflow bottle should have a vent hole in the lid or top of the bottle, around 1mm dia.

The bottle should not be under any preasure as the hole vents the air to atmosphere.

The tube to the radiator will have to go almost all the way to the bottum of the bottle.

JackTar
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Are you talking about the rex Lucas? Thought you were gunna sell her.

Lucas
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm looking at selling it but I'll continue playing with it. I'll be happy either way. If it sells I'll get something new, if not I've got a bike that I really like still.