PDA

View Full Version : RAPID BIKES - December edition out now

Gix11
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/122933809149671.jpg

For all those that don't have it or know it, the December edition is out now.

Here's the write up for this month from Jeff:

RAPID BIKES December-January Yearbook Out Now!

The last lap of the year for Rapid is done and we’ll be heading off for a bit of R&R over Chrissy, but there’s plenty to keep you occupied during the summer break with our December 2008/January 2009 yearbook.

The last issue of the year sees our Ultimate Sportsbike Comparo pit the best new sportsbikes of 2008 against each other to determine who will be top dog of the year. To calm things down just a fraction, Pappy jumps onboard an Aprilia Mana in our quicktest.

We always save some of our best-modified bikes ‘till last and this year is no exception. Anthony Matulis’ inspiring home-built turbo ‘Busa heads the list, followed closely by our cover bike, the insane KMP GSX-R1100 Bobber. Our tuned ride for December/January is a fantastic RZ350 that Jeff is still drooling over, and our Used Ride is every teenager’s dream, the Aprilia RS125.

We feature a story on the great Troy Bayliss as he bids farewell to the WSBK championship and Jim Scaysbrook takes a trip back in time when he participates in the Goodwood revival meeting in England. A picture collage of the Heathcote drags will keep all the straight-line junkies happy, and the final instalment of Greg McDonald’s Sweet Numbers feature graces the pages.

Stepping into the Legends spotlight for the next few months is Malcolm ‘Wally’ Campbell and Mr Hands reassembles his ‘Busa engine in the latest workshop story. Throw in all that and mix it with our usual columnists like Wazza, Wayne, Pitty and Gilesy and many more, plus our Project RSX550, ‘Busa, ZX-10R and FZ6 Cup bikes and you have an issue worthy of the coveted Rapid Bikes yearbook.

Remember: Ride safe and have a fantastic holiday season. Merry Christmas and see you in the New Year!

Weaselman
05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
GOT IT!

Billy Bob
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Those forks (swingarm) blows me away.

Weaselman
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
the bike just blows in general i think

Billy Bob
05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
fucken oath. but i will have the donk.

Neo Dutch
05-12-2008, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

[b]followed closely by our cover bike, the insane KMP GSX-R1100 Bobber. b]

Maybe Jeff would like to let us know what a "bobber" is? Surely it's not just hijacking nomenclature from another genre of bike building because you think it's fashionable and the latest "in" term.

Weaselman
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/122935705104251.jpg

Rapid
06-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe you're confused – the 'Bobber' that is fashionable in your world hangs around public mens toilets I think. I'm sure you've met a few. Rapid is a BIKE MAG... Haha... JEFF.

quote:Originally posted by Neo Dutch

quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Maybe Jeff would like to let us know what a "bobber" is? Surely it's not just hijacking nomenclature from another genre of bike building because you think it's fashionable and the latest "in" term.

Hillsy
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Touche

Neo Dutch
06-12-2008, 09:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rapid
Maybe you're confused – the 'Bobber' that is fashionable in your world hangs around public mens toilets I think. I'm sure you've met a few. Rapid is a BIKE MAG... Haha... JEFF.

Wow, I ask you a genuine question, and all you can come back with is this juvenile attempt at an insult. You're some sort of amazing wordsmith there Jeff. Apart from being quite unclever, your comment is unoriginal as well. I'll refer you to the quote that I made over a week ago.

On the front cover "GSX-R Bobber". Bobber? What the fuck is that? What's bobbed about it? Must be the crusty old tractor seat. Who ever thought of using "Bobber" for a Streetfighter must've spent too many long lunches down Oxford Street.

Pommy Chopper
06-12-2008, 10:24 PM

So Jeffrey, define a Bobber then?
Or as Neo says, are you using the word to help you sell mags.
Surely if you are a Bike mag as you declare then you'll know exactly what a Bobber is?

Where is the connection between Bobber and gents toilets?
Does the bloke with the GSXR spends a lot of time in the Gents?
Maybe he should go and see a Doctor?

Cheers
:D

NakedTurboBusa
06-12-2008, 10:44 PM

On the front cover "GSX-R Bobber". Bobber? What the fuck is that? What's bobbed about it? Must be the crusty old tractor seat. Who ever thought of using "Bobber" for a Streetfighter must've spent too many long lunches down Oxford Street.

Wow, I ask you a genuine question, and all you can come back with is this juvenile attempt at an insult. You're some sort of amazing wordsmith there Jeff. Apart from being quite unclever, your comment is unoriginal as well. I'll refer you to the quote that I made over a week ago.

You are a fuck wit!! with no SOH... this site is continually bombarded with sooky retorts such as yours... Have you not heard of writers licence.... read into what you like.... we have heard Harleys called boat anchors and gp bikes called jap crap... its all in the eye of the beholder....not the rider!!

my useless opinion of the 'bobber' is that its strange looking tractor bike rear rear thing.... not for me....but its good to see something different.....from the weird euro stuff we see all over

humor goes a long way

cheers

Pete

Fish
07-12-2008, 08:11 AM
I still like the mag but i was a little dissapointed with the lack of tech info.

Azrael
07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I love that bike, bobber or not, it looks fucken mint.

ozzy1100
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
ill get shouted at here lol
a: i didnt mind the bike .. not my style and not good for any funtion(fuck tring 2 shift the thing).
it is dif 2 look at tho and it would get a lot of people not so into what we are about thinking and asking ?s
and while not technically not a bobber i can see how other bike people(aka jeff) would prob see it in that light,
well a mod take on one(and no i dont think its a bobber but what do u call it lol)
b: cut them a break they are the only bike mag in oz even tring cover this shit fight we call fighters lol
they have 2 apeel 2 a much wider range of people than we do (they dont get 2 tell others 2 fuck off lol god i love this site)

i agree with what you are all saying but fuck it as soon as we all take ourselfs 2 serously we take the risk of becomeing what we
norm are against ...we should leave that 2 the harly rideing nobs with 2 much money or 2 big of chips on their shoulders

the way i look at it is, i like that even in some other contry some fucker is sitting around with his mates drinking piss
or off his head (both if he is lucky) looking at the bike going what does this thing need......... fuckkkkkkk mannnn a trackor seat
followed by lots a laughs and shit giving than the reverlation that who gives a fuck what any1 thinks ill do it
if it puts lead in your pencil and a smile on yr dial who gives a fuck
i think i might stop drink today im dribling

BANDITROD
07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
well said mate

Cruisecontrol
07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

well said mate

Sarcasm?
I didn't understand a fuckin word of it...

People whinge when they see the same thing and have an equally big cry when they see something that dares to be different, and this place seems to be guilty of it more than most.

It is all subjective and at the end of the day a subjective opinion adds up to exactly zero.

Large
07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/33180829364132.jpg

BANDITROD
07-12-2008, 03:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

well said mate

Sarcasm?
I didn't understand a fuckin word of it...

People whinge when they see the same thing and have an equally big cry when they see something that dares to be different, and this place seems to be guilty of it more than most.

It is all subjective and at the end of the day a subjective opinion adds up to exactly zero.
;):D

Rapid
07-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Where is your sense of humour? I was having a laugh, man.
OK so I'll get serious...
I called it Bobber because it is closer to a bobber than a fighter. I was a journo at Live To Ride for long enough to know what borders on a fucking Bobber. And as for 'Asking a genuine question'!? Fuck me. Your hand is well and truly wrapped around your cock. You were having a bitch... Easy fix. Don't read the fucking story mate!
Oxford Street? Mate - there you go again on about your hang out at the public toilets...
p.s - to everyone else – sorry but I just have no time for fucking moaning motherfuckers who are never happy no matter how radical we get. And also please forgive for lack of technical info the owner doesn't speak English so it was a struggle to get details...
Cheers,
JEFF>

07-12-2008, 05:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Azrael

I love that bike, bobber or not, it looks fucken mint.

Same...do you have a spare Massey seat I can use on the GSX[:p]

NakedTurboBusa
07-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Jeff,

well done this year showing all kinds of new, old, strange, and wonderful stuff.... Your mag has a great spread of all the kinds motorcycling I like.... ( without all the crap the others have)

cheers

Pete

Pete

Fish
07-12-2008, 09:57 PM

please forgive for lack of technical info the owner doesn't speak English so it was a struggle to get details...
Cheers,
JEFF>

Ahhh now it all makes sense. Bloody non english speaking buggers. Bet they can understand Ikea instructions though. :D

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
2c ..time ..i personally dont give a fuk what its called its got 2 wheels and an engine and looks different enuf to be interesting
makes a change from all the stock stuff [good tho it is ]every other mag promotes ,i like some chops ,i like old skool cafe racers [of all persuasions],but i prefer to ride british stuff ,and would love to own a radical stroker, like the man says its all about opinion.
im old enough to remember getting shit from british bike owners cos i rode a jap 2 stroke same ol ,same ol

have a giggle its xmas ..lol

Pommy Chopper
08-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Whatever anyone wants to call it, it's certainly got people talking.
I've never bought Rapid, but i may do now, just to see what all the fuss is about.
So that can't be a bad thing as it helps to pay their wages and that!!

crazymofo
08-12-2008, 08:25 AM
being somewhat uninterested with the last couple of rapids, the december issue's cover of the "bobber" gsxr was enough for me to buy one, so i did, twas a good read, bobber or not theres some cool shit done to the bike, why cant those who bitch just see it for the bike built as a whole... bobber seat, the hand shifter and the forward controls all come from a different culture of biking, the vfr swinger up front was a pretty cool idea too.

anywhoo... on a whole, RAPID does a great job of supplying a local market with a balanced rag. admittedly doesnt have everything i want in a mag, but thats ok, i buy a couple of different ones each month (much like anyone else)

cheers.joe.

Neo Dutch
08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

I called it Bobber because it is closer to a bobber than a fighter. I was a journo at Live To Ride for long enough to know what borders on a fucking Bobber. And as for 'Asking a genuine question'!? Fuck me. Your hand is well and truly wrapped around your cock. You were having a bitch... Easy fix. Don't read the fucking story mate!
Oxford Street? Mate - there you go again on about your hang out at the public toilets...
p.s - to everyone else – sorry but I just have no time for fucking moaning motherfuckers who are never happy no matter how radical we get. And also please forgive for lack of technical info the owner doesn't speak English so it was a struggle to get details...
Cheers,
JEFF>

I'm sorry Jeff, I seem to have caught you while you're a little premenstrual. I apologise for assuming that as you are a bike "journo" you'd know stuff about bikes, but I suppose the mongs on "Sunrise" like to consider themselves journo's as well.

Fight_fan
08-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Jeezus fuckin christ! Since when do we whinge so much over trivial shit like this! Fuck me! Who gives a fuck if its not "technically" a bobber, if it was called a streetfighter im sure plenty would have some negative words to say on the issue too!
Rapid is directed at the masses, not jst our minuscule group of delinquents, so what...
As far as I'm concerned RAPID is the only Oz mag covering this niche market n they'r doin a better job of it than we could so...Respect!

P.S back on subject a tad, I didnt mind it! The cover shot was the best one IMO tho coz it looks WAY too long side on! I wouldnt own a bike like that, but its a show pony not a weekend scratcher so function isnt exactly an issue is it? Keep it up Jeff, we love ya work mate!

Cruisecontrol
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm sorry Jeff, I seem to have caught you while you're a little premenstrual. I apologise for assuming that as you are a bike "journo" you'd know stuff about bikes, but I suppose the mongs on "Sunrise" like to consider themselves journo's as well.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/54075375727065.jpg

Rapid
08-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a bike mechanic by trade - have been racing for 13 years (as an A grader) in Australia and Japan on Supersport, Superbike and 250, have been a full time bike journo since 2000 and riding since I was five. I also own Rapid and started it from scratch and built it from nothing to the third biggest bike mag in Australia and NZ, and taken it to the UK and USA - on my own. How many magazines do you own? Perhaps you should have a crack at it? You might do a better job than me. So tell us all about your experience with bikes?
Jeff.

Cheers,
JEFF>

Lucas
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I for one think Rapid fuckin rocks, even if you do employ that McGraw bloke;), more man hugs and lovin' than fightin' words on the NFR...hey Stu:D...... yeh, I didn't like the Gixxer bob(I'm pretty sure that was made clear in a previous thread[:p]) but I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it(and its sorta got a bobber arse, doesn't that sorta make it a bobber?).

Now I think Jeff and Neo should sort this like men, in a tub of baby oil[B)] and then Jeff should give us all subscriptions to Rapid for Christmas(well, me anyway)!!!

Fight_fan
08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Seems to me ur doin a little too much thinkin there Lucas! Lol!

Lucas
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
The 'ol brain only ticks over intermitently Lance but once it starts fucking look out for the next 10 mins :)

Neo Dutch
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Never been without a bike for 35 years now Jeff. Owned many from my first YZ 80B to some Kawasaki and Honda 900's. Had plenty of dirt bikes including 500 cc 2 strokes. Currently building a CB750 powered chopper. Oldest bike in my stable is 1935, youngest is '87. For amusement, I'm cutting up old Harley chopper frames and returning them to original for people to use in restorations.

I was into "streetfighters" for a while, but gave it up 'cos Spondons are too exxy. Sold my mag collection to Large.

WATEVR
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
well i have to say all bar a couple i have all the rapid mags since there inception..even the orginal MOTO mag that only lasted 1 edition due to naming rights or the like?? Jeff what are your stocks like of early editions? are they still able to be ordered.

oh yes and when it comes time to sell project ZX10R drop me a line!!

Gix11
08-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Name another Australian Bike magazine with radical custom builds in it? You're voicing your person opinions on the cover bike (german built) and it's definition, not the magazine. You all know it's the best contemporary Aussie bike mag bar none, so a bit of respect is due yea?

Neo Dutch
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Given the small nature of the OZ 'fighter market, the chances of supporting 2 titles of this genre are slim to none. There have been others before "Streetbike" and whatever it morphed into.

Personally, if "Rapid" is owned by a single person, and not a publishing conglomerate like ACP, then more power too 'em.

Respect is a 2 way street.

Billy Bob
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Im into everything to do with bikes thats my passion, my opinion means fuck all, ive bought Rapid from day 1 cause it is Australian and has a broad range of cover. Well done Jeff its a great mag and keep on going you have my hard earned every month. oh yeah when are you rafflin off the Busa lol.

Azrael
08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Rapid is fucken awesome, so is that bobber, i want one.. and ND, everyones allowed an opinion, unfortunately for you Jeff owns a magazine in which to print his, you own a shed full of crap..joking! But seriously who gives a fuck what its called. You build choppers with roadbike motors? Sounds fucken rad, got any we can look at? Pics? Would love to see your work.

Weaselman
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I like Rapid...

Delete the thread

Neo Dutch
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Since when has Weasel been the voice of reason :-)

Weaselman
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
I like reason muffins

JackTar
08-12-2008, 05:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

I like Rapid...

Delete the thread

Motion seconded. This thread sucks arse.

slip
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Fuck, think I just got my first period from reading that.

Jockney Rebel
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
..anyway whens someone gonna build "hoover"...

Azrael
09-12-2008, 12:21 AM
And now, girls jumping on trampolines..

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/54075597923078.jpg

rod185651
09-12-2008, 06:12 AM
<center>^^^^^^ :D ^^^^^^^^</center>

Rapid
09-12-2008, 08:55 PM

Never been without a bike for 35 years now Jeff. Owned many from my first YZ 80B to some Kawasaki and Honda 900's. Had plenty of dirt bikes including 500 cc 2 strokes. Currently building a CB750 powered chopper. Oldest bike in my stable is 1935, youngest is '87. For amusement, I'm cutting up old Harley chopper frames and returning them to original for people to use in restorations.

I was into "streetfighters" for a while, but gave it up 'cos Spondons are too exxy. Sold my mag collection to Large.

Good - at least you can back up your opinions with experience - sounds like you've got some cool bikes. Thanks for the feedback.

Rapid
09-12-2008, 08:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

Jockney - you good for a shoot tomorrow arvo? If so give me a buzz. Otherwise Thursday arvo. My place.
Cheers.

Jockney Rebel
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
yep im home about 4ish [im building a mini ed case for me son too lol ]thursday cant do ive got me son ..sms me yer addy mate

latheboy
10-12-2008, 05:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

I've been having a good look at bloodrunners lately... some great rides in there..
I nominate Jim for the job of building Hoover:D

Jockney Rebel
10-12-2008, 08:27 PM
ill have a go but im not guarenteeing itll talk lol

rock hard
10-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Dont forget, that jeff, heather and rennie came to casino gave the A.S.F. a bloody great plug belted fuck out of the busa did a peice on the amazing gyro and his suzukis all in one weekend where were the other mags jurnos? for fuck sake why complain wanker...p.s. jeff nice work.mate .morry

Jockney Rebel
11-12-2008, 04:51 AM
well said morry

scotty
11-12-2008, 09:08 AM
All this dunny talk.. Might go grab my Rapid and go to my fav reading spot...

THE DUNNY[xx(]
P.s Jeff , good work this year mate. Keep it up. I'll be reading more next year.

12-12-2008, 09:35 AM
G'day,

After reading through the last three pages, I had to resort to pain meds before replying due to the belly laughs threatening to re-break ribs and other stuff.

For the record, I wrote the story on the GSX-R Bobber. The owner gave us roughly 200 words and minimal tech info. I had fun writing it and am glad that so many people read it.

There are more important things to worry about than what nametag we hang on a bike.

Have fun,
Playswithnitro
AKA: Mick Withers

PS: If you're a dunny reader, you're gonna love one of the columns in the February 2009 issue, ;)

Weaselman
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
The best reading is done in the can

Fight_fan
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

The best reading is done in the can

Amen to that brother!

Learnatic
13-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I love Rapid,I like the way they cover a bit of everything and the humour with which they do it.I don't think you would get Stu's page in any other mag.I met Jeff at the AFR and he is a top bloke.Keep up the good work,can't wait for the next one.

scotty
15-12-2008, 12:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Learnatic

I don't think you would get Stu's page in any other mag.

No one is that silly[8D]

Fish
15-12-2008, 09:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

G'day,

After reading through the last three pages, I had to resort to pain meds before replying due to the belly laughs threatening to re-break ribs and other stuff.

For the record, I wrote the story on the GSX-R Bobber. The owner gave us roughly 200 words and minimal tech info. I had fun writing it and am glad that so many people read it.

There are more important things to worry about than what nametag we hang on a bike.

Have fun,
Playswithnitro
AKA: Mick Withers

PS: If you're a dunny reader, you're gonna love one of the columns in the February 2009 issue, ;)

You got better from your crash Mick? How you feelin buddy? Good to see you back.

16-12-2008, 10:27 AM
G'day,

Gettin' better by the day. North-east corner of body still fairly fucked but I'm still here.

Still have friends looking for the mongrel that hit me. What sort of person can hit someone on a bike and then fuck off without stopping?

scotty
16-12-2008, 11:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

What sort of person can hit someone on a bike and then fuck off without stopping?

A complete fucking wanker

rock hard
16-12-2008, 10:33 PM
probably no licence, rego ,pissed go figure.glad your on the mend mick.trouble is the body doesnt heal fast enough