PDA

View Full Version : Craft crash helmets

sharky
27-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I was just wondering what the law enforcement gentlemen ;) in Vic ,and the rest of the country generally, are like when it comes to crash helmets.
My wife is going back to the uk for a couple of weeks and I am thinking of buying a Craft RX10 online for her to bring back.
Obviously its not legal here (yet), but would the average copper know the difference ?

03gixxerpilot
27-04-2006, 10:17 PM
in Townsville they have been taught to look for the aus standards sticker on the side

sharky
27-04-2006, 10:19 PM
What if you have a custom paintjob on the lid ?? Would you have to put a sticker..or could you just buy a cheapo lid and peel it off????

27-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Craft helmets r legal over here .Qikdraw sells em. www.austreetfighter.com.au

03gixxerpilot
27-04-2006, 10:32 PM
cant peel them off without destroying them, if you got a coustom paint job you can do one of two things
mask up the orignal sticker and paint around it or
when the jolly felow in blue pulls you up and askes you then have to show him the inside of the helmet where it should have it printed on the fabric ( like a little tag sewen in ) inside the helmet, however this is not always the best way to do it as i have had some rip rosring arguments with cops about this, they have eventually let me go but it is a hassel though.

sharky
28-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Trouble is Davo that mine wouldn't have the lil' sticker and the ones on the website are different to the one I want.
I really wanted to know how fussy the cops are and if they know what to look for, most uk traffic cops haven't a clue what is legal on 2 wheels and what isn't ! Aren't they more likely to be interested in what you were doing to cause them to pull you ? I'm still learning about your cops......

28-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Don't think the local plod would figure it out, but then the AFP couldn't figure out how to scratch their own ass's most days.

Gix11
28-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I didn't know they were still doing the RX10? : http://www.craft-helmets.com/RX_001.htm
My ex used to have an RX6 which she rode around for years with, I also have a mate that rides his RX6 around regularily and there's various Simpsons going around, but these are all in QLD, not VIC. I would say as a rule you'll be fine mate as I got pulled over with the ex many times and nothing was mentioned.

clairebear
28-04-2006, 12:49 PM
anal retentive bastards all of them, once they finish with this lane splitting thing, they'll move on to the next thig. I however would just buy the thing and wear it, tell em to get stuffed.
these that spelling of arse again mr Chalk, you american or summat?

sharky
28-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Thats my sentiment exactly Clairebear, Just wanted to see if they complete bastards about it. Time its painted up they won,t know what it is.....

sharky
28-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh and Gix, There are a few dealers in the uk stil with some in stock. I have found one for 99 pounds ($236). I had this one before I left so I know what size will fit.

ozkat
28-04-2006, 03:16 PM
You know you can buy a ADR sticker thats not really ADR but looks just like the real thing.

clairebear
28-04-2006, 03:26 PM
i'm a woman,if a cop pulls me over he's normally too busy chekcing out the bike /the asf "officer" shirt / my tits to bother with my helmet...which is fine by me :-)

Large
28-04-2006, 04:31 PM
I always put a potato down me sluggos incase a female pig pulls me over

sluglie
28-04-2006, 05:18 PM
i am down here in vic and ride around with a simpson lid in all but the crappyest weather, the only copper who even asked about the lid was a bike copper wanting to know where i got it from and how much as he wanted one too,

most non m/c coppers wouldnt know if you tied a peters icecream tub to your noggin with a bit of string

and if i get pulled, my helmet is usually the least of my worries

AussieCrasher
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a Craft Helmet, I was thinking of importing them at one time.

So get one and wear it, the only time it will be of issue is if you are involved in a accident, and the law are all over you.

Its a joke you get pulled for a helmet with out a label , but Harley knobs ride around in singlets and open faced pudding basins on there heads. Now that should be illegal.

Hoo Roo
AC

TurboKat
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
A tip from my Compressor Pump riding mates who buy & wear the tiniest lids they can get (because EVERYONE knows the less helmet, the more cool [xx(] & yes, they all have $10 heads) go to your local Trash & treasure market & buy a really old road helmet for $5, the old Snell/ADR stickers were just that - a sticker - peel it off & stick it to the new, non complied helmet.
You can't take the sticker off recent lids 'coz they're designed to self destruct for the above reason.
Most M/C coppers know the story with what is & isn't legal so they're not fooled by the little plastic bowls the meatheads wear, but I reckon a fullface would be easy to talk your way 'round, there are new styles coming avail all the time so they can't know everything eh? If all else fails, use the Jedi mind trick;
Cop; That lid's not legal.
Streetfighter; (with piercing stare) Yes it is.
Cop; UUmmm... no it's not.
Streetfighter; (in slow, soothing tone, still with piercing stare) Yeesss, it iiisss.
Cop; (looking dazed) Ooh..... Er..... yes....., maybe it is.
Streetfighter; Have a nice day Officer.
Cop; (with vacant look) Yes....... have nice a day Officer.
Works every time. :D

saf
01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
I've been pulled over many a time, often at night with a dark tinted visor, and the cops haven't noticed. They're usually concerned with other dubious activities.

There's some blokes getting around Sydney in some tasty looking German made helmet that looks almost like a Spaceball helmet only.. err, cooler. Most cops don't know shit from clay when it comes to two wheels, and the ones that do are usually nice enough so long as you're not a prick with ears...

Mind you... that's if they catch you.

dane_ra
21-05-2006, 11:28 PM
love it turbo, thats imprinted in my memory now, ready for quick execution next time I get pulled up for doing something stupid!

sharky
26-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Well my new Craft RX-1 turned up today from SMF in America, complete with black visor..The sun was shining bright so I slapped on the black one, and off I went for a spin....first stop servo for gas...as I was getting off who pulls up ??? A nice shiny yellow traffic car [:0].......Gave me the once over, said G'day and off he went :D
Guess what you all said was true but just for a moment......

Gix11
26-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Told ya mate. That's all you'll ever get (unless some slimey bastard reads this and wants to get merit points for his unit).

BOHEMION
27-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey Sharky how was the Rx-1 for wind leaks and noise?

sharky
27-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Bit hard to tell yet mate 'cos they sent me the wrong black visor ie one for a normal lid, not the shaped one for the nose area. Another is on its way so I will let ya know. The wing on the back of it certainly helps cut down the buffeting from the wind at speed.

fimpBIKES
27-05-2006, 12:17 PM
got any pics?

all u ever see are the ones from the factory websites (or pics of stu posing on the hun....)

sharky
27-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Not the usual thing I do Fimp...take pics of me helmet but just for you I will do later ;)

veetwo tls
28-05-2006, 12:58 AM
simpson also have street legal helmets now.
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/

the OUTLAW with wider eye ports: http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=93&prod_id=2475

willow
28-05-2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by clairebear

i'm a woman,if a cop pulls me over he's normally too busy chekcing out the bike /the asf "officer" shirt / my tits to bother with my helmet...which is fine by me :-)

Typical. Whenever a woman wants to get away with sumink, the tits get shoved in the guys face. Well, that's what my missus does to me. She gets away with murder.

willow
28-05-2006, 07:37 PM
... and then calls me a tool ...