PDA

View Full Version : my cbr929 project

sideeways
04-12-2008, 02:56 PM
hi guys! i just got my new project. It is a 2000 model CBR 929. First thing id like to do is to
1) remove fairings
2) remove headlights
3) fit motocross style headlights
4) fit motocross style handlebars

i dropped by the bike shop today and i was told there are gona be many problems and hours of labour to make that happen. some problems are
1) the bike might not run without the factory tacho and i have to remove it if i want to fit motoxross style headlights.
2) i have to find a correct matching tripple clamp for the 929 (no idea which bike's tripple clamps matches)
3)if i use existing clamps, ill have to drill it and a whole lot of other stuff.

I thought putting on straight bars would be prety much bolt on and didnt expect so much problems. Anyone got any advice for me? greatly appreciated!

Slingblade
04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Where are you located??

By your description you dont seem to have alot of mechanical experience. This is not having a go at you, but you will save alot of time and money if you get the right advice to begin with. I would be surprised if any bikeshop would assist you in building a fighter unless they are gouging you for overpriced parts.

Ring Ben at Extreme Creations, even if you are not in NSW. He will give you good advice that will keep you and your bike safe. And can do any work you require. 02 9939 4878.

Good luck with it. 929's have great looking tails as standard and make a great looking fighter.

sideeways
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM
hi! yea i dont have much mechanical knowledge and i really dont like doing the work myself. just dont have that kind of interest :( i wish i had! i dont really wana build a fighter, i just want a naked bike but dont wana spend so much buying a buell haha. i like the sitting position of a MX bike but would be nice to have it on a big cc roadie.

Slingblade
04-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hate to tell you this mate, but if you put mx bars and aftermarket lights on a 929 blade then its a fighter!!!!

Take the advice and ring Ben. There is also a wealth of knowledge on here. The 'search' function is your friend.

Trust me, you take all that weight off your blade and put the bars on it, you will annihilate a Buell. And most things on the road.
DO IT!

sideeways
04-12-2008, 03:47 PM
hahaha yea i know its gona be a fighter but...what i mean is, thats it! im not gona have fancy paintwork etc etc. ive tried searching and im sent a private msg to someone who had a 929 fighter for sale. but so far no response yet. Ill wait abit more before i ring your contact because im in Vic so i guess i will not bring him any business, not very nice isit?

Slingblade
04-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Then i am sure the Mexicans will show you the way. One of em will reply any time now i am guessing. Turbokat is probably your man. Just dont lend him your Hyundai!(long story).

sideeways
04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
hahah!!! ill be waiting! i cant wait to strip the bike off its fairings and bloody put a MX bar. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. this is what happens when u cant afford a buell

Fight_fan
04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Not affording a buell is a good thing mate! Fight on! Check out www.ausfr.com.au for a new top yoke with risers to suit ur MX handlebars mate! May as well do it properly!

sideeways
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
wooooooo thank u sir!
o by top yoke, u mean tripple clamps yea?

Hillsy
04-12-2008, 04:09 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard.

You can get a new top clamp (ABM) through AusFR which is a bolt-on fit. But then you will need longer cables, etc.

Making a fighter from a sports bike is rarely a straight forward bolt-on affair....

sideeways
04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Hey Hillsy, thanks for the advice! im assuming top clamp means the tripple clamps? the one the shop asked me to drill?

sideeways
04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
ok ive just gone thru the website AUSFR. From what I understand, Ill need to order
1) TOP YOKE
2) BAR RISERS
3) LONGER CLUTCH CABLES
4) BAR

i hope im right!

Ryan
04-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Also, longer brake cable. If your removing the front fairing you may need to tidy up all the wiring and remount the clocks, or buy an aftermarket dash.

sideeways
04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
oh yea the factory dash has to go too. the shop was telling me some bikes will not work if the factory dash is being removed. is that true?

Slingblade
04-12-2008, 05:16 PM
You can get a full comfort kit with top clamp bars and risers and possibly cables and lines?. Either way Stu can get the lot for you.

Has the 929 got a digital speedo? Or was it only from the 954 onwards? If its has a digital speedo/ analogue tach setup you would be better off retaining the stock clocks and getting a mount fabbed up.

Slingblade
04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by sideeways

oh yea the factory dash has to go too. the shop was telling me some bikes will not work if the factory dash is being removed. is that true?

I dont think it would be an issue on a 929, possibly on newer models. Anything can be gotten around. it may have something to do with the Honda HISS theft system but i dunno if the blades had them that early on.

Gix11
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
...and if you want any help fitting and just about anyhting else, look up Brad and the Bikecraft Crew in Mentone VIC : www.bikecraft.net.au

Slain
04-12-2008, 05:59 PM
if 929 is the same as 954 the hiss doesnt stop you from riding without gauges.
you may also need to get extended throttle cables too depending on how high your bars are, if yu do, work out how much longer they need to be then take your stock ones to a marine control fabrication place and they usually do it for around 60 bucks.
you will definatly need extended brake lines on a 929.
just remember that with the hiss system, if you relocate the ignition barrell somewhere else than make sure you relocate the surround which has HISS written on it, it must be within a certain distance of the chip in the key or it wont start the bike.

slip
04-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Sideeways that list you wrote is pretty spot on. You can use your current triple clamps possibly - and get risers put on. ( Not the best option in my books (especially in this situation)

If not, just buy a "Comfort Kit" from Stu @ AUSFR - bars/risers/triple clamp all together for your bike. I'd go this way as you can always turn it back to a streetbike in the future if you like, or want to sell. If you give your local mechanic these parts he'll be able to make it work really easy. Just giving them the bike and no parts is a bad move as you have found out.

Headlight is easy for any decent workshop who does a bit of custom/fab work.

FIddle about with wiring for HISS + cables as mentioned and you're done!

sideeways
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
hmm, so the comfort kit is the same as the other kit? on their website there are two sections. One is the comfort kit and the other is jsut top yoke. But i did a search and jsut realised the comfort kit doesnt include 929s. So i guess ill have to go the top yoke.
Gix11 thanks for the link , ill definitely give them a call for fittings.
Slingblade and slip, yea the 929 got the digi speedo and its got the HISS thingy. im researching abit more about it at the moment.

slip
04-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah mate I just realised the comfort kit has everything. You just need the yoke + bars and make whatever modifications/new lines for the ones that are too short - that's what the "comfort kit" is anyway.

Slain
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
all hiss system does is it wont let the bike start unless the key is in the ignition. your key has a chip underneath the honda logo which has a code matched to the ecu. so basically unless you have the master key or original spare then the bike wont start. this is why hiss bikes with remote starts have a key hidden on the bike somewhere next to the bikes hiss chip (located in the ignition surround). This means if you lose both keys and dont have the silver tag with the serial numbers on it then you mus buy a new computer and key set which is excess of 1000 bucks.

latheboy
05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome Sid, where in Vic are you .. there are quit a few of us around the place and if you ask really nice you might even get someone to show you how to fit the parts if there's beer in your fridge... Depends on how much you want to spend you could get someone to drill the clamp for you;) its easy done with the right machines..

Shadowzone
05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome mate, your in the right place to learn how to do your own mechanicals...

Fight_fan
06-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Mate jst had a thought, ur also gonna have to add indicators & mirrors to that list hey! & u'l probably need some bar clamps to hold ur mirrors too, unless ur gonna use bar end mirrors!

sideeways
07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
hmm i rang bikecraft and they have everything i need! bad news is...its gona burn a huge hole in my pocket. aftermarket tacho prob cost around 500, top yokes another 500..all up i think 2k will be spent? hmm..

_M_
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
You could do it on the cheap but that means doing it yourself, ie: my risers = $30, digital dash = $150, headlight = $120, Cables = $60, all up $360 ish could be cheaper if you go a dirtbike headlight.

slip
07-12-2008, 06:33 PM
500 for a tacho is way over what you need to spend mate.

Acewell and the Trail Tech Vapor have much cheaper solutions.

Spend some time (a lot?) searching and digging on the net, you'll learn a fair bit and get a good idea for whats out there. Takes a bit of digging sometimes.

sideeways
07-12-2008, 11:15 PM
okok thanks for the advice. At least now i know there are cheaper options. I thought bolt on stuff is only available from and on those websites. Hey M, I really like dirtbike headlights but i think the main problem is the tacho.
Slip: 500 for tacho is way over and i really should research more thanks!

sideeways
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.bikecraft.net.au/PDF/BC%20catalogue%209%20triple%20clamps%20instruments .pdf

Has anyone used any of these speedos and tachos before? are they value for money in terms of fittings accuracy? i kind of like the KOSO ATV one or the mini speedo. they are much cheaper than the ones on top.

sideeways
09-12-2008, 10:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220323832423&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:au

Has anyone used these vapor kits before?

Fight_fan
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Im pretty sure some of the lads have used the vapor units b4 hey! The KOSO ATV unit looks cool too, dunno how good they are but they'l do the job!

pappas
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey Gix how about putting together a how to on what's involved in converting a bike to a fighter, handlebars lights etc. I'm sure there would be enough pics on here to build one up? Would be good for people looking to get involved in fightering. If I get the time I'll try and put one together unless someone has it documented already?

Fight_fan
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Theres plenty of builds in the ride section mate! Jst check those out, it'l be more than enuf info to get the general idea + some inspiration!