PDA

View Full Version : New safety package to target Motorcycle riders

red
28-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Got this in my inbox today:

New safety package to target Motorcycle riders.

The Bligh Government has unveiled a range of new initiatives to help tackle a rising motorcycle death toll. In Queensland, around one in five road fatalities are motorcyclists and between 2003 and 2007 fatalities from crashes involving motorcycles increased by 79 per cent.

The new initiatives include:
1. Introducing a requirement that provisional licence holders must display a P-plate when riding a moped or motorcycle.
2. Requiring P-plates to be displayed on motorcycles will identify newly licensed drivers to other road users.
3. Restricting class RE (Restricted Engine) motorcycle learners from carrying a supervisor as a pillion passenger.
4. Introducing a Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme to replace the existing 250m1 engine capacity restriction for class RE motorcycle licence holders with a restriction based on a 150 kW power-to-weight ratio and a 660ml upper engine capacity limit.
5. An enhanced road maintenance and infrastructure program aimed specifically at correcting and repairing those parts of the road surface and road environment which pose a particular danger to motorcyclists.

The initiatives would be phased in over the next 18 months.

[u]My point 6.</u> All motorcyclist will be licenced and issued sawn-off shotguns, and exempted from any prosecution; as the use of the weapon is now clearly deemed self-defense.

PS. Funny how they call what we have been screaming about for years an "initiative".

Cunts.

Bear
28-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm glad they added no.5!
The NSW GOV or RTA aren't intelligent enough to think like that.
Friggin steel plates over the road... [V]

JackTar
28-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Good work Bligh you stupid cunt 'P plates' how ingenious, really? That is a safety initiative? Yeah there is no way the car drivers will hit those ones.

red
28-11-2008, 09:18 PM
You know the government approach is always going to be "blame the victim" (such as when you beat up a burglar and get done for assault).

Yeah No. 5 is good. But that's gonna be every intersection in Qld, right Anna?

RED ZX
29-11-2008, 02:23 AM
how will a P plate help when in 99.99% of accidents involving a motorcycle the cager says "I didn't see you" Unless the P plate is 6' x 6' and glowing neon it aint gonna help anyone.

red
29-11-2008, 09:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by RED ZX

how will a P plate help when in 99.99% of accidents involving a motorcycle the cager says "I didn't see you" Unless the P plate is 6' x 6' and glowing neon it aint gonna help anyone.

Well, you're right, it won't. But don't give them any ideas huh!

slip
29-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Hilarious - the P plates being displayed in NSW do fuck all, how do they expect it to be any different here? Idiots. We have far less P plater trouble and never had to display plates (until very recently)

Wankers.

_M_
29-11-2008, 05:13 PM
It helps the cops know who to target (randomly)

StuNVA
29-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Exactly, come on guys, the P plate allows the cops to identify P platers speeding over their 80k limit nothing more. The stacks I see around here over the last 2 years have been L or P plate car drivers hitting or reversing out in front of bikes, you can usually dodge the old cudgers as they are only doing 10kmph when they pull out in front of you. Bike riders as a rule dont go running into cars, it hurts.

alfiestorm
30-11-2008, 10:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by RED ZX

Sorry I didnt see you, here in england will now land the cage driver or who ever with a driving with out due care ticket with a fine set by the old geezer in the court house, which the judge will fuck you for sure for driving without due care and hammer the points on the licence, which is good makes the cagers more aware of other road users.

alf

red
30-11-2008, 12:13 PM
quote:Sorry I didnt see you, here in england will now land the cage driver or who ever with a driving with out due care ticket with a fine set by the old geezer in the court house, which the judge will fuck you for sure for driving without due care and hammer the points on the licence, which is good makes the cagers more aware of other road users.

alf

The only way we are going to get any respect on the roads is if the Judges (and cops) start treating the "I DIDN'T SEE YOU" bollocks as assault with a deadly weapon, due to the fact that a little ignorance on their part, could be horrible injuries or death on our part.

alfiestorm
02-12-2008, 08:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by red

quote:Sorry I didnt see you, here in england will now land the cage driver or who ever with a driving with out due care ticket with a fine set by the old geezer in the court house, which the judge will fuck you for sure for driving without due care and hammer the points on the licence, which is good makes the cagers more aware of other road users.

alf

The only way we are going to get any respect on the roads is if the Judges (and cops) start treating the "I DIDN'T SEE YOU" bollocks as assault with a deadly weapon, due to the fact that a little ignorance on their part, could be horrible injuries or death on our part.

The only way that will happen red is if you guys start hounding your local pollies and keep pushing the point and anyone involved in a rta, where the other road user claims they did not see you and it goes to court is to diplomatically push the judge for a prosecution agaist the other side for driving without due care and attention (or whatever you guys call it),if the judge wont, if you can bring a private prosecution and really push the point and get the local rags interested.

Alf

red
02-12-2008, 03:29 PM
You're right Alfie... we need an organisation to push that kind of thing, like a motorcyclists union. Like MA. Anyone in that here?

old gsxrr
06-12-2008, 12:44 PM
i sent a request to the main roads dept to stop putting up those wire barrier fences as i'd seen bad reports in performance streetbike magazine , they said they were verry concious of motorcycle safety so i told them that they should implement more laws to restrain car drivers,as increased distances when travelling behind motorcycles with stiff fines as they often tailgate bikes to prove how good their car is by chasing them when the bike rider get's the shits and [try's to lose him]. retired couples should be charged for driving on main highways on long weekends iff the can't travel at the speed limit as this encourages less than ideal overtaking manovers , caravan driver's should have to pass a special lisence to able to drive on the road,
people that have not ridden motorcycles before old and young should have to dirt riding to get to handle all sorts of circumstances that require skill,[wheelstanding included]

red
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
What did Main Rods say about that? Did they fob you off with an "ooh thats terrible" line, or did they really take what you said on board?

Bear
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Some good points there, old gsxr.