PDA

View Full Version : Bearings Bearings Bearings

WarHound
27-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Well it was the bearings for anyone that followed my earlier post and I have got a new set .. the problem before me now is that the bearing case was shattered and the inner ring and balls just fell out when I took the wheel apart. BUT! the outer ring is so jammed in the wheel I cant pry it out. I have tried everything short fo getting a dremel and cutting through it (carefully) any suggestions would be appreciated. When I got the wheel coated the powdercoaters took out the stuffing I put in and then I took it to a mechanic who said he cleaned it out but looking at it I can still see powdercoating in there so I am betting thats what fucked it in the first place.

Fight_fan
27-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Deano's the bearing man mate!

Deano
27-11-2008, 08:43 AM
weld a piece of steel to both sides of the bearing forming a T and then use your hammer to hit the underneath of the cross part of the T. simple. works with headstem cups every time

TurboKat
27-11-2008, 08:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by WarHound

the bearing case was shattered and the inner ring and balls just fell out when I took the wheel apart.

[:0]
Fark ! I thought at would have made a hell of a noise & vibrated like a motherfucker if it was that bad!
You should be able to knock the outer ring out from the opposite side Mark, you hafta knock the inner sleeve/spacer over a bit to expose a bit of the outer ring & use a punch or drift (or even a flat screwdriver at a pinch) to tap the outer ring out - don't try to hit it in 1 place, work around it & don't be afraid to hit it hard.
Are you replacing both bearings at the same time ? Because the other side will be well fucked too.

Jay_G
27-11-2008, 09:42 AM
yep, make up a drift or buy some pin punches, support it and beat the fuck out of it from the other side.
i had to use heat at one stage to get some wheel bearings out.
and i have also had to use the dremel with a realy thin cutting wheel to get out a cup for a swing arm bearing.

Tony OW31
27-11-2008, 09:47 AM
just put a couple of runs of weld on the inside of the bearing, it should just fall out then.

Bear
27-11-2008, 10:59 AM
^^ welding will shrink it.

Deano
27-11-2008, 12:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

quote:Originally posted by WarHound

the bearing case was shattered and the inner ring and balls just fell out when I took the wheel apart.

[:0]
Fark ! I thought at would have made a hell of a noise & vibrated like a motherfucker if it was that bad!
You should be able to knock the outer ring out from the opposite side Mark, you hafta knock the inner sleeve/spacer over a bit to expose a bit of the outer ring & use a punch or drift (or even a flat screwdriver at a pinch) to tap the outer ring out - don't try to hit it in 1 place, work around it & don't be afraid to hit it hard.
Are you replacing both bearings at the same time ? Because the other side will be well fucked too.

the inner ring and balls are missing only leaving the out ring in the wheel. I think

WarHound
27-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Thats right just the outer rim, I am planning on changing the other side but I will have to do them one at a time ... Christmas and all 8)... Thanks for all the good advice .. I was a wee bit scared to hammer it becasue I dont wanna stuff the housing 8)

TurboKat
27-11-2008, 01:24 PM
OOPS! my mistake [:I] I had the wrong picture in my mind. :(
In that case, see Tony & Bear's replies.