PDA

View Full Version : Running in or breaking in your new or rebuilt engi

alfiestorm
30-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi guys and girls thought this might be of use to some of you.
I have always used this method to run a new or rebuilt engines with no problems.
Oh and so what if it has been posted before :D

click on the link below

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

30-08-2006, 11:50 PM
mate...without looking at youer link,i choose to just hold the throtle wide open thru the whole gear box...let that cunt know you're notfukin around from day 1.drain the engine oil after 2500 k's to get rid of the excess metal,refill then its run in.
i remember seeing an inside video o0f how they do it at the Suzuki factory years ago...there was Sumkhunt rolling these things off the prioduction line straight onto the dyno wheel...1st to 5th/6th at full stick,back down thru the ghear box then off to dispatch.i guess thats what the gurus mean about being run in at the factory.bloody good video that,not available to the public tho.

alfiestorm
31-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Yep thats it

Rocket
31-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I've only had the opportunity to run in a new car or bike engine a couple of times always did what the manufacturer told me.
I've heard before about running them in how you intend to use them and running them in hard. But always went back to the old "well Holden/Suzuki/(insert other brand here) should know what's best for their engines so i'll do what they tell me" method.

My fresh new 1216 will be up and running soon so i will try this method and see what happens, otherwise I'll be riding like a girl for the first 1000ks.

Instead of riding like a BIG girl like i normally do [:X]

Rocket
31-08-2006, 10:46 AM
But having said all that, I never had any problems with oil usage or anything like that. So does that mean the manufacturer was right in their recomendations?

Maybe i'll just do it how the engine builder tells me.
But then again.....I can try this guys way just this once.
Dammit, now I'm confused.....stupid internet.

01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
If ya want it to be slow all it`s life:(run it in slow;)[8D]

fimpBIKES
01-09-2006, 12:43 PM
yep davo

thats exactly how i saw it done at the duc factory
they come straight out of the bay from the guy putting them together and into a dyno room

gave it a few seconds to get oil pressure up and then BAM
up through all gears to a dyno speed of about 190k's

mundys on it to, u need to stretch things out and you will make better power if you do

russo
04-09-2006, 10:53 AM
i use to do some work at a performance car workshop and they would run motors at fast idle for 30 mins to run cam bearings in make sure oil preeure was good and then full power run aon dyno. and we're talking motors from 355 cubes to 600 cubes ranging in power from 500-1300 all naturally sapirated.