PDA

View Full Version : Riding unplugged?

Freddo
22-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Ok,
After changing the battery I checked the regulator, showing over 16V on the batt, and up to 25V directly on the regulator...
Then I discover that the plug between the magneto and the regulator has burned pretty badly...
I don t know how to check the magneto(If it s the source of the problem, I can't even open it anyway)
But the main question for now is: Can I ride with the connection magneto / regulator unplugged? How many start will the batt handle?

davio
22-11-2008, 04:58 PM
oh dear theyre bad numbers mate , dont run it like that or u will fry all ur lectricks, a battery on its own should never read more than 13.5- 14 volts sounds like u fried ur regulator and its overchargin the battery,

Pommy Chopper
22-11-2008, 09:20 PM
What bike do you have with a mag??
Old Brit??

loosebruce
22-11-2008, 11:25 PM
The burnt plug is adding resistance to that circuit.
It's a vicious cycle, more resistance, more burning , more resistance until something else burns out.
You will need to replace that connection and probably the wire as well.

Freddo
23-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Thx .

"What bike do you have with a mag??
Old Brit??"

Nop, 1989 Vmax.

I ll definatly replace the all lot, How can I check if the magneto is alright?
And why the difference of voltage when taken on the batt, and taken from the regulator?

loosebruce
23-11-2008, 09:51 AM
V=IR, more resistance= higher voltage.
Because that connector is an added load on the circuit the voltage is higher through the circuit.
Another possibility is that your battery has been cooked and has a higher internal resistance than normal.
Here is a good general guide to charging systems. http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

Freddo
23-11-2008, 07:06 PM
this stuff is great a big cheers for that!!!