PDA

View Full Version : crank case breathers

jmw76
22-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Has anyone seen any real advantage of adding a larger crankcase breather to the GSXR 1100 engines?
I know that they look cool but do they allow the engine to develop more top end performance by clearing the engine of unwanted crankcase pressure build up.
Does anyone have dyno results to support this theory?

Cheers
Peter.[?]

oldskool
22-11-2008, 01:32 PM
If you use your filler cap as one the pressure release stops the common cam cover leaks .

jmw76
25-11-2008, 06:48 PM
No one else got any opinions on crankcase breathers then????
I don't have any gasket leak issues.
I am just interested in the power angle.
That is if there is any real benefit.

Benz
25-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Some Big bore dragbikes use a vacuum pump to help evacuate the crankcases, supposed to free up a few horses, but they are making big power, looking for the smallest gain in an intensely competitive game.
High boost turbo bikes need to have good breathing from the 'cases, as the buildup in the engine tends to push the oil out of the weakest seal.
I should know, I've got several 'weak seals', and no extra crankcase breather
Might take my own advice, and set one in the oil filler......!!
As for horsepower, putting a pump up to the electrical system would probably cancel any gains.
It wouldn't hurt to help the engine breath better, but I doubt you'd feel any difference.
Just my 2c worth, if that.......

Chris41
25-11-2008, 08:10 PM
This has been tried out a bit lately it it is supposed to minimize pumping losses between cylinders be careful if you're running Teflon buttons
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/chris-41/baseporting.jpg

oldskool
25-11-2008, 10:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by jmw76

No one else got any opinions on crankcase breathers then????
I don't have any gasket leak issues.
I am just interested in the power angle.
That is if there is any real benefit.

Thanks
I said it helps stop them, never heard of power increase tho.

jmw76
26-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Interesting block modification.
A bit hard to do without striping the engine though.

dinorider
26-11-2008, 08:37 PM
the cam cover leaks are usually due to hardened bolt seals and the fact that approximately 40 litres per minute of oil circulates through the head.if the motor suffers from blowby a crankcase breather below the rocker cover will allow the oil to drain a lot easier as blowby air travelling upwards can prevent oil from draining.I don`t think by adding an extra breather anywhere would be noticeable on a dyno.old kwaka motors like the z1r had a breather on top of the crankcase behind the barrells,so there may be some benefit.some gsx1100 race bikes have run breathers from the starter hole once the starter is deleted