PDA

View Full Version : Just before selling it and buy a scooter!!

Freddo
20-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi, a month ago i burned the battery, change the batt, checked the regulator> 14.5V so normally all good... this morning strange stinky smell> and bingo, the batt again...
Does anyone would have an idea?
The regulator is only a couple month old, and this morning the batt was showing 14V and up to 14.5 at 3000rpm...:([V]

Shadowzone
20-11-2008, 06:56 PM
12v Batts will hold and charge at 14.5v with no issues.

I'm thinking the issue may be something to do with an incorrect Specific Gravity in your battery.
the standing S.G. should be 1280 in a brand new battery. this is due to the mix of water and acid. Acid won't evaporate but water will. Your issue is the evaporation of your water which will increase your SG.

In short you need to check the batteries water level regularly.

Sealed batteries aren't sealed, they do have a one way relief valve which allows steam out but nothing back in.

Therefore the lesson is even with a sealed battery you still need to check your water/electrolyte levels...

Freddo
20-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Awesome, cheers for that!!
What would cause that? can i change somethinks to make this balance more steady?

Shadowzone
20-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I would normally suggest going away from a sealed unit type battery to one that you can simply check and top up with distilled water as your level drops, but what kind of bike do you ride, and I'm assuming you do a lot of mileage right?

So the style of riding will affect that too, but unsealed type batteries can be dangerous unless you have them stored in a sealed compartment on the bike with appropriate venting and drainage etc. I'm not a fan of them. for this reason.

So I guess the short answer here is simply open your battery each week and check your cells. if there is a low level of water top it up and seal it again. It's not recomended but it will save you continually having warranty issues on batteries.

Jockney Rebel
20-11-2008, 09:26 PM
..or buy a gel pack battery

Shadowzone
20-11-2008, 10:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or that, I didnt think of it cause I never owned one...

Jockney Rebel
21-11-2008, 12:11 AM
buy a yuasa one ..we used to get 2nd hand grey imports from japn that had yuasa batts in them totally dead [bikes had been in crates for 2yrs sometimes] chrged em up and bingo

Freddo
21-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Thx for the help guys!! I'll have a look on this gel pack batt..