PDA

View Full Version : WTB Brake Pads!

Fight_fan
20-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey boys n girls! Its my 1st time buyin a new set of brake pads, both front & rear, but I dunno where to start! What sort do u recommend? Where do I get em from? There are no bike shops locally so I'd either get em off the net or I'l have to take a drive...
Help me ploz! :D

Ross_247
20-11-2008, 01:21 PM
hey dude.. .wot bike are the brakes off that you'v got on there at the moment ? ? cause they are prety much all different

> And dont tell me you are getting these for Wendy ? ? [:p]

Fight_fan
20-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt wanna put the stoppers on Wendy mate! [:p]

Front end is K4 gixxer thou, rear is '93 gixxer 750...

Ross_247
20-11-2008, 01:42 PM
hahah.. yeah im hearing ya

alrite.. the parts numbers you'll need are

FRONT : FA379
REAR : FA63

Id just get a set of EBC's, there must be someone down there that sells em ? ?

[:p]

Fight_fan
20-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Champion! Thanx bro! ;)

Hey anytime u wanna come n hit up some coast roads let me kno n I'l set up a spare bed 4 ya hey mate! [8D]

TurboKat
20-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Lance, compounds are the most important thing you need to consider when buying new pads, there are pretty much 4 compounds available;

Green AKA Organic AKA Kevlar compound are very soft so they'll give good initial bite from dead cold but will become less effective (fade) as heat loads increase, they also wear very quickly but will not wear your discs - most often used on commuter type bikes.

Semi Sintered (sintered = metallic) compound are a sport touring type, still OK initial bite from cold but better fade resistance at the expense of a small degree of disc wear.

HH or Full Sintered are a high metal content compound, they take a couple of applications to warm up to operating temperature so not ideal for everyday commuting as they need to retain lots of heat in them to work effectively, ideal in race/trackday situations because they are virtually fade free but quite abrasive on your discs being effectively metal to metal.

Carbon Ceramic compound - forget about these unless you are Mick Doohan.

Not ever having ridden with you, I can't advise you on what compound you need but I'd suggest you start with semi sintered, they're the best all round compound & you can go up or down from there if you need more or less brake when hot or cold. Maybe ask the Mean Dean Machine what compound is in there now & go from there, or most pads have their compound printed/etched/stamped into the backing plate so you could whip 'em out & have a look.

Also, it's very important to bed your new pads in after fitting them or they'll never work 100% the way they're sposed to.
Bedding in involves getting the pads to their operating temp via several brake applications to heat the pad surface right through & 'cook' the compound to set it up to work right thereafter. Green pads need less heat when bedding in than HH jobs, if you heat any compound too much during the bedding in process, you'll glaze the discs & pad surface, the brakes will feel & work like shit & you'll hafta pull the pads out & scuff them & the discs with course sandpaper to break the glazing & you'll need to bleed your system coz you'll have cooked the fluid too. Don't go nuts trying to get too much heat in too quickly or you'll warp the discs & that will suck lots of arse because you'll hafta get 'em machined straight again.

Stay away from cheap or no name pads like the ones on EvilBay, go with OEM jobs or the quality aftermarket brands like EBC, Ferodo, SBS, etc, it's money well spent fur shur.

Ross_247
20-11-2008, 03:09 PM
No wukaz dude.

yeah sounds good [:p]

Fight_fan
20-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Cheers TK! Ur a champ & a wealth of knowledge! Prolly not a bad idea to check up with deano either...

Deano
20-11-2008, 04:35 PM
have you worn those pads out already. would have done less that 15k i would have thourght.

fronts are HH rears are just green pads from memory as i never use the rear brake anyway.

pt
20-11-2008, 07:23 PM
get performance friction pads, stocky reckons theyre the shit and im hanging to try em once my current shite wears out.

Fight_fan
21-11-2008, 06:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

have you worn those pads out already. would have done less that 15k i would have thourght.

Yeh the fronts r just about on their way out n the rear is completely shot after gettin stuck behind really slow cars on the alpine ways downhill section! [xx(]