PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what is causing this ?

Razorback
18-11-2008, 06:04 AM
I just got up and noticed that after all the screwing around I did to the Kat the last 2 days... plugs, leads, oil, filters few other bits n peices... now when I put it on the side stand fuel pisses out the overflow and it WONT STOP! I bled out a 1L ice cream contrainer overnight just sitting there.

WTF ?[?]

CBRRRT
18-11-2008, 06:44 AM
When you put the tank back on you havent nipped a breather pipe have you matey. I'm no mechanic but if the tank cant equalize with the air pressure out side the tank perhaps the petrol vapor is expanding inside the tank and pushing the fuel out the overflow. Just a guess matey, as I have a plastic fuel can in my workshop and sometimes it builds up pressure, then when I open it, I can feel it escape.

HueyonaBlade
18-11-2008, 07:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by CBRRRT

I have a plastic fuel can in my workshop and sometimes it builds up pressure, then when I open it, I can feel it escape.

Dont open it you will let out all the horse power[^]

Razorback
18-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I suspect it is something simple like that Im gonna pull the tank off again and see if I can see anything obvious. Pain in the A$$!

jakam04
18-11-2008, 11:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by Razorback

I suspect it is something simple like that Im gonna pull the tank off again and see if I can see anything obvious. Pain in the A$$!

Fuel tap have a prime function??

Blackkat
18-11-2008, 11:09 AM
carb needle & seat stuck open.

Razorback
18-11-2008, 01:53 PM
3 people including my main mechanic have said needle n seat... it seems to make sense... I had the tank off and swishing about so probably sent some shit through.... *sigh*.... lol... one thing after another :)

Cheers

Deano
18-11-2008, 05:12 PM
keep in mind your motor will probably be full of petrol.

happend to me once. had about 2 litres of petrol in the exhaust alone. it filled the combustion chamber and out the open exhaust valve.

lost a batch of brand new oil and filter aswell. have a look at the filler window and see if the oil level has increased

Razorback
18-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah another mate said to check that and I have... fortunately it seems it was just running straight out the overflow. No increased oil level visible and I can pretty much account for all the fuel in terms of what I know was in the tank, what I know leaked out and what I drained from the tank once I discovered it.

Answer me this though... Carbs have to come off to get at the needles ? or can I do it from the bottom through the bowl ? Normally I would just take anything to do with carbies to a shop but I really wanna increase the range of the work I can do myself and this is a fairly straightforward exercise isnt it ?

ralph
18-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Have you tried blowing back up the overflow hose on the offending carb, the fuel tastes shit but your not really meant to drink it, just sniff it. All the bubbles you create may disloge the offending gremlin. Otherwise its carbs out( just did this on my gs I forgot what a joy it could be)Bowl off, dont tear the paper gasket and float off dont bend the tag that sits on the needle cos that changes your float level.
Or you could fill it up at the servo and take it for a good hoot, that might fix it

Pommy Chopper
18-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Level the bike and check your float heights first.
It could be one of your float heights is too high, but i reckon it's float needle and seat.

Easy enough to fix.

Razorback
19-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Yeah thanks guys. I think needle and seat must be the answer as I havnt done anything that has altered float heights. Not having a working fuel tap has been the biggest pain. Im gonna get a new fuel tap first... try blowing them out... last resort remove and service the carbs... Cheers

ralph
19-11-2008, 08:55 AM
seriously, take it for a fang, if it is a bit of shit in the needle and seat and it has just been a problem since you tinkered with the bike and it hasnt been sitting idle for years it will most likley clear itself. If you are that worried about a fire put a longer breather on your carby bowl.
Your fuel tap is probably the vaccume type, no on off position, just a prime position (vertical) which you can set with a small blade screwdriver, if thats the case it is not broken, just looks that way.
you can also try tapping the bowl with the fat bit of a screwdriver or something similar.
ps. when you take it for a ride take your camera, just in case.

Hillsy
19-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Make sure your gearbox isn't full of fuel before you try taking it for a ride [:0]

It will be crap in the fuel that's clogging your float valve(s). I had this on my old GSX750. Happened every few months or so. Finally put a big assed car fuel filter on it and the problem was solved ;)

Razorback
19-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Take a camera just in case ROFL! gold...

yoda
27-11-2008, 09:18 PM
your floats can get out of whack themselves.
Shouldn't be too hard to work out which carb its from, just give it a good clean(esp your jets) and blow out with a compressor. Ssee if that helps, if not its prob your floats.
And, as others have said, make sure you have a good look/smell at your oil. It doesn't take long to get in there!

Chris41
28-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Sometimes if you drain the the carbs the floats will jam anyway I've had some bikes that needed the carbs to be tapped with the handle of a screwdriver as they were filling.

Razorback
04-12-2008, 05:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

Have you tried blowing back up the overflow hose on the offending carb, the fuel tastes shit but your not really meant to drink it, just sniff it. All the bubbles you create may disloge the offending gremlin.

Thanks everyone and the prize goes to Ralph and anyone else who said trying blowing up the tube...

I did it... and after I wiped the jizz off the carbs and decided you probabaly meant use my mouth.... I tried that... and lo and behold is fixed... WOOT!

Cheers all :D