PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

flyingfatman
13-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey guys
i was just wondering whats involved in turboeing a bike. i mean what kind of materials are involved. how much should i expect to blow on the transform. ah by the way yea its for the zeal:D:D

hyofighter
13-11-2008, 11:26 PM
not sure if it was a early RAPID mag or PERFORMANCE STREETBIKE mag there was someone that turboed a zeal it may have been done by S+R pro , plus these would be the ones to speak to , or iceman on here he turboed and efi converted a gs500 , or even ring ben at extreme creations that bloke would turbo his morning coffee if he could

miniman1
13-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah, i saw that turboed one in a mag a few years ago, looked cool.

You'll need to get a manifold/piping made, plus get the oil/water feeds for the turbo sorted etc etc,
Do u plan on injection setup 2?? Costs all depend on what you can do or who u know

I got a lil turbo that'd prob go well on that ;)

flyingfatman
14-11-2008, 12:43 AM
since im gonna be movng up to brisbane im hardly gonna know anyone for a while. i know how to do a couple of things myself but i dont think im gonna have a huge arsenal of tools.
i dont think ill be going injection, might just keep it running on carbs, not sure yet.
anyone have a rough idea of how much ill be spending?

sharky
14-11-2008, 06:02 AM
quote:since im gonna be movng up to brisbane im hardly gonna know anyone for a while.
Don't worry...we'll be your friends :D

flyingfatman
14-11-2008, 09:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

quote:since im gonna be movng up to brisbane im hardly gonna know anyone for a while.
Don't worry...we'll be your friends :D

YEAAAAAAA BOYYYY

hahah :D thanks mate great to know

zx12argh
14-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Of course rus is always going to be your friend - while you are on a Yamaha ;)

QLD the place to be mate - where in Brissy are you moving to?

flyingfatman
14-11-2008, 02:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Of course rus is always going to be your friend - while you are on a Yamaha ;)

QLD the place to be mate - where in Brissy are you moving to?

looks like either logan or gold coast

EXBEN
15-11-2008, 09:47 AM
flyingfatman, I think I should clear some things up for you (was that you that called me the other day?) I get quite a few calls about people wanting to turbo a 250. I usually say it's really not worth it. The reality is that turbocharging isn't for everyone because adding a turbo to a bike isn't like changing the exhaust or putting on some aftermarket carbs. What you are basicly doing is changing the way the motor works ( im sure some will disagree with me on this), from the motor drawing air/fuel in ( Yes I know it's actually pushed in by atmospheric pressure blah blah ...........) to artifically forcing it in. By doing this you create other issues that need to be taken care of like.
The intake charge is heated due to the fact that it is compressed so it needs to be monitored/ cooled to suit.
The fuel system needs to be able to supply more fuel to allow for the increased airflow into the motor plus it needs to be able to overcome the additional pressure in the intake system.( with carbs this is actually harder than it sounds)
The whole airfilter /airbox assembly needs to be replaced with something able cope with the additional pressure. As does the exhaust ( to mount the turbo)
Increased power means more stress on the cooling system so it needs to be up to the task.
The lubrication system needs to be able to cope with the extra Heat/supply issues,& needs to be modified to supply/return oil to/from the turbo efectively & the turbo cant sit lower than the oil level in the motor or it will blow smoke or you need a scavenge pump.
The engine internals need to be able to cope with the extra stress on them or modified to suit ( eg: piston strength/Comp ratio etc..)
The whole lot needs careful tuning because things go wrong quickly in turbo motors.
Also a turbo 250 is going to struggle to make the power of a modern 600 with more reliability issues.
When I tell people it's going to cost $8000-$10000 ride in ride out to turbo their 250 they usually scoff & think Im just trying to discourage them but there is no diference doing a 250 or a 1000 ( except maybe a slightly cheaper turbo), there is the same ammount of fab work, plumbing, wiring,tuning etc.... required.
When people do turbos themselves they may get away with a couple of grand using second hand parts etc but they also do many many hours of thinking/fabrication.
Workshops can't do turbo kits using second hand parts (turbos) because when people come back with a blown turbo or whatever the finger is usually pointed at the workshop.

15-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Stay away from Logan, it's full of scum sucking cunting bitching single mothers waiting to bleed you dry

flyingfatman
15-11-2008, 11:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

flyingfatman, I think I should clear some things up for you (was that you that called me the other day?) I get quite a few calls about people wanting to turbo a 250. I usually say it's really not worth it. The reality is that turbocharging isn't for everyone because adding a turbo to a bike isn't like changing the exhaust or putting on some aftermarket carbs. What you are basicly doing is changing the way the motor works ( im sure some will disagree with me on this), from the motor drawing air/fuel in ( Yes I know it's actually pushed in by atmospheric pressure blah blah ...........) to artifically forcing it in. By doing this you create other issues that need to be taken care of like.
The intake charge is heated due to the fact that it is compressed so it needs to be monitored/ cooled to suit.
The fuel system needs to be able to supply more fuel to allow for the increased airflow into the motor plus it needs to be able to overcome the additional pressure in the intake system.( with carbs this is actually harder than it sounds)
The whole airfilter /airbox assembly needs to be replaced with something able cope with the additional pressure. As does the exhaust ( to mount the turbo)
Increased power means more stress on the cooling system so it needs to be up to the task.
The lubrication system needs to be able to cope with the extra Heat/supply issues,& needs to be modified to supply/return oil to/from the turbo efectively & the turbo cant sit lower than the oil level in the motor or it will blow smoke or you need a scavenge pump.
The engine internals need to be able to cope with the extra stress on them or modified to suit ( eg: piston strength/Comp ratio etc..)
The whole lot needs careful tuning because things go wrong quickly in turbo motors.
Also a turbo 250 is going to struggle to make the power of a modern 600 with more reliability issues.
When I tell people it's going to cost $8000-$10000 ride in ride out to turbo their 250 they usually scoff & think Im just trying to discourage them but there is no diference doing a 250 or a 1000 ( except maybe a slightly cheaper turbo), there is the same ammount of fab work, plumbing, wiring,tuning etc.... required.
When people do turbos themselves they may get away with a couple of grand using second hand parts etc but they also do many many hours of thinking/fabrication.
Workshops can't do turbo kits using second hand parts (turbos) because when people come back with a blown turbo or whatever the finger is usually pointed at the workshop.

holy shit
the expert has spoke. that totally convinced me its not worth it [B)] and yeah mate that was me who called you the other day. holy shit i didnt know so much work was involved. oh well, just get a bigger bike i guess
:D. thanks a lot ben really appreciate it mate

Fish
15-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I believe that turbo zeal is for sale.....check with S&R Pro

slip
15-11-2008, 05:42 PM
fatman - most people will say 'forget it it's not worth it' and EXBEN's post is exactly why from a technical standpoint. Even without considering those issues, the following is a problem as well....

Yes, you can do a really dodgy half cheap (relatively) job if you've got skills, equipment, and supplies to do so - but the result will still suck compared to pissing it off and getting a larger capacity bike or just spending time riding yours. Plus, it's nowhere near as good as a non-turbo setup when the bends appear. Straight line is cool, but the change in torque, throttle response, power curve etc characteristics doesn't lend itself to twisty riding. It'd end up off the road for quite a while, and most people don't finish projects like that themselves because it all gets too hard for too long - or you have to throw $$$ at someone to do it properly.

Even putting a turbo on a non-turbo Skyline with factory parts required much more work + parts than most people expect.