PDA

View Full Version : Tank modifying advice needed

sharky
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
So...seeing as there are no rules for building streetfighters.....and as I don't class my bike as anything other than MINE ;)....I'm going to fit a hiddly diddly tank...
I'm thinking it will be easier to mod the top black one to fit the wide (approx 140mm)frame rails on the Xjr than the split tanks. Also it will be easier to graft in an aircraft type filler cap.
I don't want to end up with a tank wider than the motor
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76374789730973.jpg

What do our 2 great minds think....Chopweeza and Pommy ???
There are some cheapish on ebay uk and I could fit it in my suitcase :D

chopaweeza
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Just the way I would do it .

The top style is your typical FXR style and it isn't simpler to fit it to the XJR . The lower set are your run of the mill 3.5gallon fatbobs . Because they are seperate all it takes to fit them is some new brackets on the frame and a piece of alloy/stainless to cover the gap between them. A simple job requiring little effort . You can buy mini-aircraft fillers to go in Harley tanks off ebay without having to modify them.

As for the black one , if I was going to adapt it to an XJR I'd remove the existing tunnel and the tank area underneath to a line of where the curve tucks under . When I had it positioned were I wanted it I'd then make a new tunnel piece and fart arse around getting the best position for it(checking steering at full lock as well) , slowly trim the stock top & new bottom until they matched . While you have the bottom out of the tank it's a great time to add or remove fillers as you can weld these from the underneath . With the black tank , I'd fill the center hole & left filler , left the right filler and the modify the tank to take the instruments in the middle to break up the line abit. If you like this type look for early FXR tanks as the only have 1 central filler and are simpler to modify .

Personally , I'd get a Quickbob tank from somewhere like the MCA and re-tunnel it as that is a straight forward deal and will look neater .

If I can cut up a Mean Streak tank and make it look good I can do anything :)

sharky
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Cheers Wayne.
I agree the twins would be easier but the trouble with using them is the overall width (3.5 gallons are too small).
If you add the width of the 2 halves to the 140mm ish frame rails it ends up far too wide. I would also need to play around with the seat end of them as the frame rails get wider there and thus the tanks get pushed out at that point.
My thoughts were that by using a one piece I could cut out the bottom and it would still retain its shape whilst I worked on it.

chopaweeza
09-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Go a Quickbob mate. They can be found from time to time locally for about $100 used . But , now that I've given it some thought I have a really easy answer that will do the trick . Take the frame down to a large wreckers , have them drag out every Jap Cruiser and when you find one that has the look & similar tunnel grab it somewhere else . The jap Cruisers usually have the same shape and usually have a wide tunnel on them. Just watch the length as some can be way long. They are more likely to give you what you want for minimal fart arsing about.

sharky
13-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Cheers for the advice mate...
I'm going to go the fatbob route as most of the cruiser tanks have either small capacity or huge tunnel issues.
Scored a good priced set of 5's from Weaslyman. I will have to remove the flat sides and make a tapered cut to suit the frame rails and then weld the sides back on retaining the mounts.
Between the tanks will be the wiring and the Dyna ignition...handy place as it is adjustable and thus I can get to it for easy ..er...adjustments...
Spoke to Pommy about this...think I convince him it wil work ;)

EFE 1230
13-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I think Wayne needs his own section on the forum "Got a question? Ask Wayne". "Want to know how to do something properly? Ask Wayne". A true walking encyclopedia when it come to modifying a motorcycle! "Hoggly " parts on a YAMAHA........????

chopaweeza
14-11-2008, 04:05 AM
I have my moments . When I was getting into modifying bikes several great people taught me stuff and gave me help. So now , I generally don't mind passing the knowledge on or giving a hand in the same manner . That simple .

sharky
14-11-2008, 06:00 AM
quote:"Hoggly " parts on a YAMAHA........????
;)
Be tassles and concho's next [:0] [B)][B)]