PDA

View Full Version : Stripping a bike - what order, what stands?

slip
08-11-2008, 09:52 PM
If I'm going to pull a 4cyl Jap bike completely to bits, what's the best way to go about this?

No hanging shit off the roof, I'm doing this in an secure carpark like a hotel has. Shitty.

Happy to buy whatever I need, but only stripped cars before. I've got 2 x car hydraulic jacks and 4 x chassis stands.

What is the order of doing things to make it as painless as possible?

slip.

Weaselman
08-11-2008, 10:01 PM
id say look in the local paper and rent a lock up garage first :)

chopaweeza
09-11-2008, 03:54 AM
I strip & wreck quite a few bikes in the average year . First , strip the bodywork off . Then the tank . The battery . The headlight assembly & clocks . Strip the handlebars but leave them on. Carbs & airbox next . Pipes . Unplug the wiring harness . Remove the engine bolts . Drain radiator fluid & remove radiator(if applicable) . Remove the oil cooler & drain the oil. Lay out an old blanket or similar , lay the bike sideways on it and lift the frame off the engine. Remove front end . Remove rear end . Remove any other parts .

Can do all that in about an hour if no bolts stick and thats using a rattle gun. With a decent tool kit figure about 3 hours . No jacks or special tools required .

slip
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Hah classic chipaweeza. I'm putting it all together pretty so not sure how the lying it sideways thing will go with a fresh engine/frame. That worries me. Sounds good for the stripping part though.

gixkat
09-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Slip wrote

quote: Hah classic chipaweeza. I'm putting it all together pretty so not sure how the lying it sideways thing will go with a fresh engine/frame. That worries me. Sounds good for the stripping part though.
quote:

hmmmm like chop said mate, lay it on its side on a thick blanket and you will get that motor back in your pretty frame without scratching it, use some rubber wrapped around your downtubes for extra protection if you like, just my two cents worth to back up a bloke who's advice you asked for in the first place;)
cheers GK

slip
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm not trying to be an ungrateful shit, but me and pristine aren't good mates. I'm not real good at the whole "getting everything perfect in less than perfect situations" thing. Hell, I suck enough in perfect situations. His suggestion doesn't worry me, but me carrying it out successfully does. That said, I'm able to picture it in my head much better now after a good long think.

Even for pure curiosity, how would it be done in a full on workshop?

TurboKat
09-11-2008, 05:38 PM
You have a twin spar frame (no lower cradle/rails) so the engine just drops out the bottom - no need to lie anything on its side.

chopaweeza
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Thats alright little man. Removing or installing an engine like that is the safest and easiest way to do it. I gave you exactly what you asked for and yeh it does sound like you are being an ungrateful shit. Thats OK. I'll never give you advice or help ever again so no problem.

slip
09-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Are you fucking serious? Want a tissue?

1. I said it sounds good for the stripping part.
2. All I said was the lying on it's side with fresh paint bit worried me - due to a lack of confidence in my ability to keep things shiny.
3. Why is lying it on it's side easier and safer than doing it while it's standing up?

Sometimes people interpret things strangely in text based situations, so I made things clear after GK posted, thinking I may have worded things badly - but reading it all now you're just being a girly sook because I didn't take your advice as total gospel and grovel at your feet.

kevkatana
09-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Ding ding! Round one[B)]

gibbo
10-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Yet another bout for the ASF boxing tournament, so far we have CC v Oz, Large v Turbo & Latheboy and now Chop v Slip, this card is filling up quick[B)]

Large
10-11-2008, 08:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

Yet another bout for the ASF boxing tournament, so far we have CC v Oz, Large v Turbo & Latheboy and now Chop v Slip, this card is filling up quick[B)]

Wat?

I'm not going to be the meat in those boys' sandwich[:p]

TurboKat
10-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah Gibbo, me & Latheboy aren't so much going to fight the Large one because we're lovers & not fighters but we're definately going to spit roast him. [:0]
That should draw a crowd [xx(]

latheboy
10-11-2008, 09:09 AM
We can play cards on his back;)

Slip, lay it on its side unless you think you can lift an engine in without fucking the paint... they are not too balanced when they are on a stand or jack... If its lying down its got nowhere to fall has it?

slip
10-11-2008, 11:02 AM
True. TK got me thinking - It's a twinspar frame, so to resinstall can I not just sit engine on the ground, lower the frame over it, and voila?

latheboy
10-11-2008, 11:55 AM
What bike is it

slip
10-11-2008, 12:02 PM
93 Kawasaki ZXR750. Thought I put that in the first post but just said Jap 4cyl, brain fade.

camlark
10-11-2008, 04:52 PM
just stripped an 85 gixxer and had a bit of a shit fight removing engine. basically a couple of kilo frame weighs less than a forty odd kilo engine(just a guess). wish i had done it that way. plus paint is easier to touch up than broken cooling fins etc.

latheboy
10-11-2008, 06:50 PM
It's only a kawa, the easiest way is cut the frame at all the engine mounts and push it out

sharky
10-11-2008, 06:58 PM
quote:It's only a kawa, the easiest way is cut the frame at all the engine mounts and push it out
Preferably with an Oxy torch [}:)]

latheboy
10-11-2008, 07:09 PM
And a sledge hammer to get the tank and plastics off:D

Azrael
10-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Damn did i miss out on all the fighting and spitroasting? dammit!

morrigan
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

My money's on Chop!

wackyrider
11-11-2008, 10:46 PM
When i was putting my motor back in after painting the frame, I palced it on a solid box (correct height) and simply lifted the frame (rolling chassis) over the top and dropped it down on it. Frame with forks and wheels is light as piss to move around. Connect the engine mountings and lift the bike off the box.

I still suggest that u take your time and use a few rags over the engine to avoid scratching.

Quite easy to do, even though I was overly confident before I actually did it.

scotty mac
12-11-2008, 12:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

We can play cards on his back;)

Slip, lay it on its side unless you think you can lift an engine in without fucking the paint... they are not too balanced when they are on a stand or jack... If its lying down its got nowhere to fall has it?

yeah mate, i put a spare bike tire down n layed it on in it then me n a mate lifted the frame off the engine.

slip
13-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure keeping everything vertical with the engine on something sturdy and just lowering the frame over and doing bolts up is going to be safe for all concerned, and the paint. How I'm going to do the low side engine mount bolts up while it's lying on it's side is a bit interesting. Thanks boys.