PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug leads - are bike and car the same?

slip
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Can I just belt down to Repco for new leads (ZXR750) or is it bike shop time? The guy at my local shop is a right unhelpful and seeminlgy quite stupid fellow, so I'm pretty suspicious of his suggestion to just use car ones.

?

Docktor
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
dont see why not ?. i bought 2 metres of 9mm lead from sunshine autobarn and used it to replace the stock ones on my bike. works good as

pommie02
07-11-2008, 07:14 AM
the plug leads will be ok but you need the correct caps. your caps have a certain resistance and you will need to match these up correctly. NGK make after market caps...have a look on the web to see if you can find the right caps

chopaweeza
07-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Many jap coils have the coil wires already built into them. These type obviously require complete replacement of the coil as well. Buying plug leads from auto stores is abit hit & miss I've found as the quality of even the better brands is inconsistant and the ohms reading is different to many bike types. What I now use is 8.8mm FIREWIRE plug leads . Made for harleys but will work on any type of coil with a seperate lead. Never had one of them fail or be out of spec yet.

TurboKat
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I did the same with my ZXR Slip, you can't get any bigger that a 7mm O.D. lead in the ZXR coils & plug caps so you can't use the fancy 8/9mm super spiral silicone car leads just the standard type jobs but the 7mm ones work perfectly.
There are self tapping type threads in the coils & plug caps so just wind 'em in & do 'em up (don't forget to use the plastic olives though or they'll vibrate out on you.)

RED ZX
08-11-2008, 05:11 AM
The Dyna 2000 coils on that bike should still be fine, and they accept the 8/9mm leads. any car leads will work, but take note of the end of the spark plug, those little screw on things don't come with the plugs, so you will have to keep them every time.

slip
08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah it's the plug caps that are now the issue. Found some on an overseas site for 4.11 pounds each. Just a little bit cheaper than 60 dollars each quoted by Kawasaki. Fuckers.

Don't know if I need them or not, but might replace for routine maintenance anway.