PDA

View Full Version : Polishing forks

04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone,
Can someone please advise, I have stuff for polishing triple clamps and sundry other alloy bits, works a treat. What can one use on the USD fork legs? They are not smoothe but have a kind of light ringing as their surface finish. I don't particularly want them a brilliant shine but do want to remove some surface markings. Then again if they have to sparkle, so be it! I was thinking of plastic bead blasting then a light polish, or...?
Also the frame, what's the go for polishing this? I've had a bit of a go but it didn't respond as the other alloy bits so I didn't want to cause any scarring with my inexperience.
All advice gratefully received.
Rob[?]

BANDITROD
04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
your frame prob has anodising on it even though it looks like raw alloy and as for you froks there is a how to guide on the main asf page mate just click on main asf website then go to how to area mate its all explained in there

Gix11
04-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Is there Rod? Where abouts mate?

dinorider
04-11-2008, 05:59 PM
ummm yeah si checked it out myself and was unable to see it there.

BANDITROD
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
well i am sure there used to be a topic there cos thats how i learned to polish alloy myself fuck i must be dreaming ...........nah i am sure it was there has it been removed si

BANDITROD
04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
to remove annodising you need easy off oven cleaner mate it will ripp it straight off but you must rinse it off properly and dont stress it will go black in spots but its all part of the process mate and after you have dont that you want some fine sand paper (600 grit) give it all a good going over and then with some 1200grit and then 2000grit and make sure its nice and smooth and then polish it mate and if you are not covered black shit mate you havent done it properly hope this helps

BANDITROD
04-11-2008, 07:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by jakam04

What about that oven cleaner stuff mentioned in the "how to polish" section on home page? if that stuff removed anondising etc, wouldnt it be good enough to remove powdercoating?

Jarrod
i knew i wasnt going crazy but how long has it been gone for cos i reckon that was a top how to guide

Gix11
05-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Shit, that sucks balls cause it means it's been overwritten at some point and I have no reference. Does anybody remember where the original post was that I got it from so I can redo it?

Large
05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by rnewall

Hello everyone,
Can someone please advise, I have stuff for polishing triple clamps and sundry other alloy bits, works a treat. What can one use on the USD fork legs? They are not smoothe but have a kind of light ringing as their surface finish. I don't particularly want them a brilliant shine but do want to remove some surface markings. Then again if they have to sparkle, so be it! I was thinking of plastic bead blasting then a light polish, or...?
Also the frame, what's the go for polishing this? I've had a bit of a go but it didn't respond as the other alloy bits so I didn't want to cause any scarring with my inexperience.
Rob[?]

I recently saw a bloke put the outer legs in a lathe and linish/sand off the ridges and anodising, before polishing the legs.

Worked a treat:)

Tone
06-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Dunno if it helps but I seem to remember that article was posted by Oz.Maybe!

zx12argh
06-11-2008, 08:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Large

quote:Originally posted by rnewall

Hello everyone,
Rob[?]

I recently saw a bloke put the outer legs in a lathe and linish/sand off the ridges and anodising, before polishing the legs.

Worked a treat:)

Thats what I am about to do... Today... at work [:O]

Gix11
06-11-2008, 05:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

quote:Originally posted by jakam04

What about that oven cleaner stuff mentioned in the "how to polish" section on home page? if that stuff removed anondising etc, wouldnt it be good enough to remove powdercoating?

Jarrod
i knew i wasnt going crazy but how long has it been gone for cos i reckon that was a top how to guide

Really Sorry for making you sound like a tool there Rod, it was completely my fuck up mate! I overwrote a file when I was in the UK and I never realised I had lost anything. I actually lost 4 How To pages! Some good ones as well, but luckily it was only the links that were gone the pages were still there so check them out now and see them all!:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/ASF_howto.asp

BANDITROD
06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
thats cool mate i can take as much as i give most of the time:) and now i am off to check them out