PDA

View Full Version : Part swap advice

02-11-2008, 06:23 PM
How about a list on part swaps....not theoretical swaps but real life swaps.
Heaps of advice saying "yeah x is a straight fit in b" but a bit more info...For instance rear wheel swaps and the mixing and matching of spacers and shit. Just an idea

debaser
02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I found a site by pure accident that has a compatibility chart cross reference thing. But for bearings oil filters etc.

loosebruce
03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Oldskool Suzuki has some good info on what fits where.

Tony Nitrous
03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
One thing we used to do to check 650 to 750 top ends,
ignition / clutch covers, Cylinder heads, Barrels, Cam covers,
etc etc....was to compare gaskets.

The lads kept a good selection of old one's and we had a
friendly local bike shop.

Not a 100% garantee, but a good indication.

http://www.sv650.org/
has info on fitting GSXR USD fronts to SV's,

either the ST1100 or ST1300 battery bumps up the Busa electrics,

Gpz motors in Z650 frames...

Would be good to put it all in one place.

There were a couple of issue's in BSH or Sheepfrightners Magazine
about what fits what but it was mostly older stuff.
I will dig it out.

Gix11
03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm not an encyclopedia when it comes to this so list whatever you can and know that fits and I'll put something together. Evidence of it actually being done first hand would be appreciated so there isn't any bullshit info in it.

All I know as solid fact is the obvious: Oil cooled GSXR1100 engines from '86 to '92 were the same size and dimension as the 95 - 0*whatever oil cooled Bandit so they will interchange. The 1100 motor was slightly taller than the 750 but would still fit in a 750 frame - none of this applies to the water cooled models. This is hardly ground breaking news but believe it or not some people are surprised when you tell them!

I can also tell you a VFR750 SSS will happily take any 100PCD 4 spoke car wheel but alignment will be compromised on large width wheels without realignment of the swingarm pivot which involves MAJOR frame work (even though some germans don't seem to care and have bikes that really don't want to lean right).

'90 model onwards USD GSXR front ends will bolt into the earlier right way up bikes with no changes at all.

RF900 front guards were identical to the early oil cooled GSXR models (in fact the whole front end was).

Lame, well documented stuff, but it's a start.....

03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah that's what I'm talking about, stuff that's been done in the real world

ozkat
03-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Start a thread asking for info on any real swaps. Not swaps you have heard might work, or swaps that dont include full details. Real swaps that you have done or a genuine swaps off the net. OSS has heaps of them. Post em up without any bullshit. Then maybe one of the moderators can take this info a compile a database, sort different sections out, then send the finished info to Si in an orderly format. Hopefully he will be more than happy to dedicate part of the website to it. Then every couple of months the said moderator can review new posts to the thread and submit new info to Si. There is a wealth of info on this site, its just a matter of sifting through to find the correct info.

Gix11
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Yea, I'm up for that. And more to the point, it doesn't matter how trivial you think it is (say like an R1 battery can be used on it's side to replace a standard unit) as there's always someone who will find that info handy.

Tony Nitrous
03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Gpz500 cable clutch lever assembley go's onto SV's and similar
and has a 'naked" bike mirror mount.

Gives you adjustable levers on BOTH sides, not just the brake
side that cheap nasty Suzuki gave you.

Tony Nitrous
03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
My Standard Jelly filled Bandit 12 battery lived on its side
stuffed into the tail unit. Battery leads were extended using
"Halfords / Super-cheap" car starter motor leads bolted onto
them so I could always return it to standard.

Battery box then has room for NOS solenoids.

Tony Nitrous
03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Pull the fairing off a Busa. No mirrors or mounts on the bars.

The plain half moon clamps on the mastercylinders are a straight
swap for GSX14 one's that have mirror mounts. The Suzuki part is
even cheaper than crappy after market mounts.

pt
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
lame easy to figure out stuff also, but all parts on the 600 and 750 SRAD gsxrs are interchangeable to my knowledge. this is only looking at my bike and parts manuals though. i also know that early K series gsxr discs are interchangeable with SRAD gsxrs except for minimum thickness being thicker on the K series.